Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Jun 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #256 of 1,524
  I just saw the Philips SHE9710 on CDJapan earlier today. They carry the black, white, red, and blue colors for $37 plus. Dsnuts impressions should be in the discovery thread IIRC.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #257 of 1,524
My IE8 left side died a few months ago. After reading so much good about IM70, I decided to go for it, and bought one from accessoryjack. I was looking for something similar to my much loved M50. On native forums they said, that these are at the same category in SQ, as the IE8, which is heavily overpriced.
So, I was waiting for almost a month for the IEMs, imagining how good they'll sound, and finally, they've arrived on Monday. Boy, I was surprised. It didn't sound good at all. I've been burning it in for two days now, but there is no huge improvement. I think I will sell them.
Is it sure, that Accessoryjack sells originals? Because these sound so awful, that it is hard to believe, that we are listening to the same device. Even my best recordings sound on them like 128 kbps mp3-s or cheap PA speakers. Bass is OK, but the rest is just a mess. I think there is a raise in the frequency range somewhere in the middle, but the worst part is the treble. It misses any sparkle comletely, like if the highs were cut and compressed. Acoustic guitars, cymbals sound just really bad, muddy, missing any detail and sparkle. The IM70s are a huge disappointment for me. I don't know, if its a fake, my taste is so different, or I'm just used to better SQ, but I can't tolerate the sound of them. The other thing, that bothers me is the cable. It is rigid, looks and feels really cheap and not durable to me.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #258 of 1,524
AccessoryJack is a real deal and highly regarded like Penonaudio and others.

It almost sounds like you are not getting a good seal or stock tips doesn't work well for you?  I have IM50 from AJ and those sound fantastic with sony hybrid-like tips.  IM70 should be on par.

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #259 of 1,524
I think the seal is OK, because the bass is strong and good. Stock tips are really not that good, I use now the IE8s foam tips, which give a slightly better result. The silicon tips of the IE8s don't fit well.
It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem, although most people are satisfied, there are some comments here about similar opinions of its treble.
I'll wait a few more weeks, and see is further burn in helps, but don't have high hopes. It seems that I can get new replacement driver for my IE8. If its not that expensive, I'll replace the bad left side and use it for a few more years. I think I was just hoping more after the positive reviews, and reading such things, that its similar to the M50. No, it is not, they are sounding completely different.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #260 of 1,524
I think the seal is OK, because the bass is strong and good. Stock tips are really not that good, I use now the IE8s foam tips, which give a slightly better result. The silicon tips of the IE8s don't fit well.
It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem, although most people are satisfied, there are some comments here about similar opinions of its treble.
I'll wait a few more weeks, and see is further burn in helps, but don't have high hopes. It seems that I can get new replacement driver for my IE8. If its not that expensive, I'll replace the bad left side and use it for a few more years. I think I was just hoping more after the positive reviews, and reading such things, that its similar to the M50. No, it is not, they are sounding completely different.

You can try removing the filters and do a tip mod. It may help to improve the SQ.

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #261 of 1,524

Burn-in won't help to treble quantity no matter how long you burn it. I don't know the foam tips that comes with IE8 but from my experience the foams decrease the treble quantity. I recommend you getting some Sony hybrid tips or soft wide bored silicone tips like UE tips. There is also a mod that I shared here several pages before. You may try that mod maybe it helps.

Hope that helps.

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #262 of 1,524
Thank you for the tips, but I don't want to spend more money on this, and it'll be easier to sell them in original state. I'm afraid that I'll damage the filters by removal. I don't think that it can make that much difference, that I'll suddenly like its sound signature.
The problem is not the treble quantity, but the quality. Now, that I'm sure, that its not a fake, the solution will be to sell it and try something else, or repair my IE8.

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #263 of 1,524
Thank you for the tips, but I don't want to spend more money on this, and it'll be easier to sell them in original state. I'm afraid that I'll damage the filters by removal. I don't think that it can make that much difference, that I'll suddenly like its sound signature.
The problem is not the treble quantity, but the quality. Now, that I'm sure, that its not a fake, the solution will be to sell it and try something else, or repair my IE8.

Yup. Would agree with your decision to sell it as it is something that you do not enjoy rather than sitting on it. Probably you can take the $ to try out the VSD3/S or VSD5. Priced similar to IM70 or even cheaper. It may even be what you're looking for and better than IM70.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #264 of 1,524
I just accidentally stepped on my im50 and cracked one of the connecting pins on the cable. I took a look on eBay and found a replacement cable from lunashops eBay store for $23 usd. It has wire like the Soundmagic reference series, and NO MEMORY WIRE! That is the one gripe I had about my im50 was how uncomfortable the memory wire on these were. This might end up being the best mistake I ever made. I'll post impressions when the cable comes in.

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #265 of 1,524

Yeah, probably wasn't for you in the first place. Despite the fact that with a tip change, it does improve quite a bit, the highs might still be an issue for you, considering you came from the IE8. I'd suggest repairing the IE8 might be your best option.

I just accidentally stepped on my im50 and cracked one of the connecting pins on the cable. I took a look on eBay and found a replacement cable from lunashops eBay store for $23 usd. It has wire like the Soundmagic reference series, and NO MEMORY WIRE! That is the one gripe I had about my im50 was how uncomfortable the memory wire on these were. This might end up being the best mistake I ever made. I'll post impressions when the cable comes in.

Mind sharing the link? I'm interested in switching the cable mainly for the memory wire, though i haven't used my IM70's in quite some time. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #266 of 1,524
@kukyo

http://m.ebay.com/itm/251571750391?nav=SEARCH

Pretty sweet huh? If only the im50 came with a cable like this out of the box...

I think half of the reason people end up not liking these is because of the memory wire not allowing the user to get a consistent and solid fit, and it becomes seriously uncomfortable.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #267 of 1,524
@kukyo

Pretty sweet huh? If only the im50 came with a cable like this out of the box...

I think half of the reason people end up not liking these is because of the memory wire not allowing the user to get a consistent and solid fit, and it becomes seriously uncomfortable.

Wow interesting! And also reasonable price!
Thanks for the link :wink:

Jun 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #269 of 1,524
@kukyo

Really interesting, might try the OFC Silver Plated for my HD25's and the same one you ordered for my IM70's.

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #270 of 1,524
I actually purchased a number of replacement cables from Lunashops in the past (for UE900 and W40) and these guys do a high quality job.

Did you see other choices for IM50/70/01-04 replacement they have? http://www.lunashops.com/search.php?encode=YTo0OntzOjg6ImtleXdvcmRzIjtzOjEwOiJJTTUwIGNhYmxlIjtzOjE6IngiO3M6MToiMCI7czoxOiJ5IjtzOjE6IjAiO3M6MTg6InNlYXJjaF9lbmNvZGVfdGltZSI7aToxNDA0MDA1MjI3O30=

First two for $20 (price shipped) are like on ebay, one with straight and other one with 90deg connector.  But the other two are blue OFC soft cable ($18) and the silver one for $40.  I'm eyeballing that silver one now, need to find out more about the spec, considering it's a higher price than other ones.  If I get it, will definitely post my review/impressions with IM50 and IM03.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back