Audio-Technica Flagship Coming?
May 22, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 53
Thing is in the past, Audio Technica has made a lot of LIMITED EDITION headphones.

The current flagship still I think is the W5000. Flagship and Limited Edition are two different things. One made to be the reference class, the standard. The other made for collectors and the likes.

And if I was Audio Technica, I wouldn't worry as it seems the W5000 still holds it's own against the other "flagship" headphones quite well without worry. The HD800 is the only one that may set a new standard for all headphones.

May 23, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #18 of 53
I think the woodies line are their flagships.

My fantasy AT phone is going to be a combination of the L3000 (bass, fit) and W5000 (transparency, forward sound).

May 23, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 53
I'm looking for the next Flagship woodie and based on the W5000 being released 2.5 years ago and AT's past release schedule for W series (including the L3000), I would expect something by the end of the year.

Regarding the W5000, I get the impression you may have a better chance for fit with a big head. If my US baseball cap size is 7 3/8 to 7 1/2 does this mean I would have better shot of the off-the-shelf W5000 fitting my head or is this just one part of the equation? Regardless, I hope to try one at CANJAM.

May 23, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thing is in the past, Audio Technica has made a lot of LIMITED EDITION headphones.

The current flagship still I think is the W5000. Flagship and Limited Edition are two different things. One made to be the reference class, the standard. The other made for collectors and the likes.

And if I was Audio Technica, I wouldn't worry as it seems the W5000 still holds it's own against the other "flagship" headphones quite well without worry. The HD800 is the only one that may set a new standard for all headphones.

Tech wise, the HD800 is cutting edge. A 56mm driver is nuts.

May 23, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm tempted to buy a used W5000 instead of saving up for my DT48 rig. They always intrigued me. And 90% sure I'd like them.

I suspect that they might not be your cup of tea as their mids are colored.

May 23, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that they might not be your cup of tea as their mids are colored.

I don't prefer a colored midrange as a whole, but I do believe in balance. I can appreciate a colored midrange. I loved the 650/340 mids. Not too argue, but feel the DT48 is more revealing and 'realistic' in the mid range, but lacks the intamacy of the other two. My Ying to my Yang.

May 23, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the woodies line are their flagships.

My fantasy AT phone is going to be a combination of the L3000 (bass, fit) and W5000 (transparency, forward sound).

ditto!
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #25 of 53
The W5000 fit issues are extremely easy to solve. You simply need to gently bend the headband to increase the clamping force until you achieve a tight seal.

The W5000's are great 'phones BTW. I'm hoping to see a new AT on the block soon though, however there's a whole bunch of vintage AT's I've yet to try.

May 23, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Schu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where does the W5000 put you in relation to the performers on stage? I don't care for distant sounding headphones.

The mids are forward sounding.

May 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artmon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]For me, the ATH-A2000X is the current flagship. Not considering the price, but the remarkable sound quality.[/size]
[size=small]See my thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/aud...a2000x-394223/[/size]

My take is that there's no such thing as "the one and only AT flagship model". But I can see what you mean saying the A2000X could be the current flagship model regardless of product line, it's a really good headphone. It has a distinctive sound signature that's pretty similar to that of the L3000. It's still not my favorite headphone but good enough that I'm reluctant selling it. My most recent attempt trying to shrink my headphone collection failed since I actually like all my headphones in one way or another. It's hard for me to part with headphones I still like to take out of the vitrine every once in a while.

L3000_rmaa_1.png

A2000X_mod_2.jpg

Both measurements were done with the pad mod applied, even though the caption beneath the A2000X graph doesn't say that.

So the A2000X is basically an L3000 with more highs and less bass. It's significantly brighter but it's obvious that the overall signature is similar. The L3000 hasn't gotten much use lately, I seem to be reaching out for W2002, AD2000, W1000 and A2000X more. For those who are looking for the bright version of the L3000, go ahead and try the A2000X.

May 23, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My take is that there's no such thing as "the one and only AT flagship model". But I can see what you mean saying the A2000X could be the current flagship model regardless of product line, it's a really good headphone. It has a distinctive sound signature that's pretty similar to that of the L3000. It's still not my favorite headphone but good enough that I'm reluctant selling it. My most recent attempt trying to shrink my headphone collection failed since I actually like all my headphones in one way or another. It's hard for me to part with headphones I still like to take out of the vitrine every once in a while.

L3000_rmaa_1.png

A2000X_mod_2.jpg

Both measurements were done with the pad mod applied, even though the caption beneath the A2000X graph doesn't say that.

So the A2000X is basically an L3000 with more highs and less bass. It's significantly brighter but it's obvious that the overall signature is similar. The L3000 hasn't gotten much use lately, I seem to be reaching out for W2002, AD2000, W1000 and A2000X more. For those who are looking for the bright version of the L3000, go ahead and try the A2000X.

Then the A2000x is a bargain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back