Audio Technica ATH-WS 70 and WS50 ???
Apr 23, 2010 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

nishan

Head-Fier
why is there so little info on these? has any body here tried these AT phones? are they too new to the US still?
2rq1rih.jpg

They have a full aluminum body, according to this info:
AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-WS70 Solid Bass Headphones -

any info on these will be appreciated...i am really interested in acquiring a pair...

also: what's the difference betw WS70 and WS50? i couldn't find any real info on that either...

May 10, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 34
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/477307/m50s-vs-ws70s

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/466594/ath-ws70-vs-ath-es7

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484414/ath-ws70-info-anyone

I think the only difference is that the WS70's are a step up from the WS50's. Better material, etc.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 34
dont know how relevant it will be to you now, but ive just recently purchased the ws50's and will hopefully receive them shortly

can give you my opinions on them once i have them?

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 34
im very sad and disappointed to hear that

i was quite excited to have ordered my pair of ws50's and if i hear that they are worse than the ws70's and then you tell me that the ws70's are worse than jvc branded phones...i think im gonna cry :'(

but i guess its too late now, and i shouldnt cry over spilt milk

ill wait till i get them and give them a go...

fingers x-ed - here's hoping!

Jul 24, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 34
Well, its just you not liking them. The are pretty well received over in Hong Kong, and I really do like them for the price. If you are not a fan of general Audio-Technica soundsig, I doubt you will like them at all.

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 34
hmm...no refund policy that i know of

these will be my first pair of AT headphones. , plus i generally like and trust things that are made/come out of japan

i also like my bass, so i was obviously drawn towards "solid bass" marketing

@ Ra79or - thx 4 your comment, it makes me feel a little less apprehensive
i guess all i can do is wait till i get them and hope for the best

will def put up a post once i get them to give my first general impressions

*sits quietly and taps fingers in anticipation*

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 34
well, for better or for worse, my ws50's have arrived.

so does anyone want me to start attempting a review or post pics etc?

or is it a foregone conclusion that ive wasted my money?

any ideas/suggestions?

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 34
And "Its pretty bassy" means what for you?
Iwant to buy some good portable headphones, I was thinking about the AKG K450 or this ATH-WS50. Pretty bassy seems good for me, since the moment I have a Cowon J3 and I can EQ the way I like, but it happen I have all the bass almost up to the top!!! I think I like "bassy" sound???!!  

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 34
first of all, i'd like to ask, do people agree with me that reviews of these headphones are virtually non-existent/impossible to find on the web??

as such, there does seem to be some interest in my opinions of these headphones, and now that i own one, i guess its up to me to try and fill that void
so in saying that, ill try and start the ball rolling with my first extra noob introduction of the Ws50's
it'll be ongoing as i continue to use them, so i guess u can consider this as a WIP review

feel free to ask questions and provide feedback etc. ill be happy to answer questions or cover anything that i miss that anyone else would like covered

so to begin, general background and info

im using these headphones with a sansa e250, with a rockbox mod and ive selected the preinstalled "Hip Hop" EQ
i listen to most kinds of music, but have a very strong and heavy bias towards hiphop rap and rnb, with a little dance and house thrown in every now and then
i also love my bass, most likely the heavy and mind-blowing boomy kind =)

previous IEMs headphones that ive used are SoundMagic PL30, Hippo VB's, Panasonic HJE900's, Sennheiser CX-300 and the stock headphones that come with portable media players
the only headphones that ive had that cover the ears (supra-aural?) ive had are Sony Ericsson HPM85
im not sure what the WS50's are classified as, but id say, to me, they are on the smaller size and are supra-aural

on a side note, as ive finally managed to secure my Pana HJE's, ill be looking to sell my Soundmagics and Hippo's if anyone is interested. Both are barely used and good condition! =)

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 34
OK, so Audio Technica ATH-WS50 Solid Bass headphones - pictures and build quality

General Specs (off the box) :
Driver                       : Dynamic 40 mm
Frequency Response   : 10-24000 hz
Output Sound            : 99 dB
Max Input Power        : 500 mW
Impedance                : 40 ohms
Cord Length              : 1.2 m
Weight                     : 165 g

So, as you can see on the box, not only does it have solid AND extended bass, its "Overwhelming Bass". Sold! =)

The headphones are a nice white, solid enough without feeling too plasticky and cheap. To me, they feel nice and light.
The headphones are pretty much 18cm from top to bottom (measured from the middle of the headband, straight down)
The metal casing looks like it may attract some marks and fingerprints.
The cable feels nice and durable, strong yet flexible. For those who care, the cables connect to the speakers and are not detachable. It is of the Y-type

It comes with the headphones, a manual and info sheet and a cleaning cloth. My first thought after opening the package was, there's no carrying case/pouch? =(​
 ​
The padding is nice and soft. The earpads (from top to bottom) are 8cm and are 2cm tall/wide?. Ie. The black circle is 4cm - so the headphones will sit on your ears if they are bigger than 4cm​
 ​
The extensions add another 30 or 32mm to each side.​
 ​
The left and right sides are marked in blue and red respectively​
 ​
The cable connector is one of those 90degree/right angle ones​
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back