Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #1,307 of 1,365
Well, i acually read the whole thread now. Strangely this can has gone under my radar for a long time, mostly because i do not like the tuning of most ATs. I travel a lot, mostly by train, and i really like to sink in the world of music at my seat or/and in my hotelroom. I also walk a lot to explore the cities i visit, often with headphones. And important, i like to travel as light on luggage as possible. I have some ”to go cans” in Airpods Max, Audeze Sine (with Vesper over ear) and if i bring a large bag Beyer T5.3. Also got a pair of IE600 when luggage is minimal.

Airpods Max, these cans do not really compare, they are just a compromise wit OK sound and great phone/video meeting capabilites. I can do the same with Airpods pro acually wich pacs sooo easy.

IE600, im not really an IEM guy, struggling with fit (Symbio eartips helps) thoug i like the sound signature. And the set up, ifi Go Blu/IE600 with upgrade cable is adorable and so compact.

The Sines are really portable but a little bit flat and boring. The bass boost in ifi Gryphon helps a little but i would like a more funny treble. Detail and technicalitys are OK. Ive also enjoyed dynamic cans more resent. Still a great can but i prefer a v signature on the go.

I really like T5.3, especially with ZMF Beyer Sub sheepskins & ”presence mode” om Gryphon. Makes them bigger an a little more balanced. But they are not really portable and do not pack flat.

To my question, can WP900 be what ive been looking for? @JML mentioned pad swapping to Beyer pads, the ZMF perforated beeing a bad chioce, but do they fit? The ZMF Beyer Sub sheepskin really opened up T5.3 in a similar way you guys talk about Yaxi pads. It would be funny to test them on WP900 in that case!

Could AT ATH-WP900 be my perfect travel headphone?
I’ve had the WP900s for a couple of years and love them for wandering around. They’re light, look ridiculously good and sound wonderful - to my ear, full, rich bass and great mids. But - on trains they really suffer. The low rumble seems to destroy the bass. Add to that the absence of noise cancelling and it makes for a frustrating experience. In the end - and this probably won’t surprise anyone here - I ended up with more than one set of headphones and bought the Focal Bathys, specifically for air and plane travel. They are shockingly good for wireless. Not as warm as the ATs but they still have good bass and a level of detail I adore. So, my WP900s remain my walking companions while the Bathys are my travel go tos.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #1,308 of 1,365
I’ve had the WP900s for a couple of years and love them for wandering around. They’re light, look ridiculously good and sound wonderful - to my ear, full, rich bass and great mids. But - on trains they really suffer. The low rumble seems to destroy the bass. Add to that the absence of noise cancelling and it makes for a frustrating experience. In the end - and this probably won’t surprise anyone here - I ended up with more than one set of headphones and bought the Focal Bathys, specifically for air and plane travel. They are shockingly good for wireless. Not as warm as the ATs but they still have good bass and a level of detail I adore. So, my WP900s remain my walking companions while the Bathys are my travel go tos.
The single reason never owning a Focal headphone is for me the ”bling” factor. I just dont want to walk around with a jewel on my head. And second, the ANC on Airpods Max is really satisfying. Third i that i want a wired headphone on the go. I really like bringing my amp/dacs travelling! Maby i should have a look at Radiance or Celestee (really like the Clears) but not for travelling!

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #1,309 of 1,365
WP900 are so beautiful, that I would not walk with them on the street. But the issue could be, it depends of size of your head, that they have a weak clamp force.. At least for me.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #1,312 of 1,365
Well, i acually read the whole thread now. Strangely this can has gone under my radar for a long time, mostly because i do not like the tuning of most ATs. I travel a lot, mostly by train, and i really like to sink in the world of music at my seat or/and in my hotelroom. I also walk a lot to explore the cities i visit, often with headphones. And important, i like to travel as light on luggage as possible. I have some ”to go cans” in Airpods Max, Audeze Sine (with Vesper over ear) and if i bring a large bag Beyer T5.3. Also got a pair of IE600 when luggage is supposed minimal.

Airpods Max, these cans do not really compare, they are just a compromise with OK sound and great phone/video meeting capabilites. I can do the same with Airpods pro acually wich pacs sooo easy.

IE600, im not really an IEM guy, struggling with fit (Symbio eartips helps) thoug i like the sound signature. And the set up, ifi Go Blu/IE600 with upgrade cable is adorable and so compact.

The Sines are really portable but a little bit flat and boring. The bass boost in ifi Gryphon helps a little but i would like a more funny treble. Detail and technicalitys are OK. Ive also enjoyed dynamic cans more resent. Still a great can but i prefer a v signature on the go.

I really like T5.3, especially with ZMF Beyer Sub sheepskins & ”presence mode” om Gryphon. Makes them bigger an a little bit more balanced. But they are not really portable and do not pack flat.

To my question, can WP900 be what ive been looking for? @JML mentioned pad swapping to Beyer pads, the ZMF perforated beeing a bad chioce, but do they fit? The ZMF Beyer Sub sheepskin really opened up T5.3 in a similar way you guys talk about Yaxi pads. It would be funny to test them on WP900 in that case!

Could AT ATH-WP900 be my perfect travel headphone?

I have mine specifically for travel and I love them for that, they are very light and compact. That said, I have recently been playing around with IEMs for travel as I try to travel as minimal as possible, so mine are up for sale.

I personally really enjoy the tuning and they look awesome.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #1,313 of 1,365
I have mine specifically for travel and I love them for that, they are very light and compact. That said, I have recently been playing around with IEMs for travel as I try to travel as light and compact as possible, so mine are up for sale.

I personally really enjoy the tuning and they look awesome.
Bit of coincidence I have ie600 and have been hovering over GoBlu for 6 months as the dac/amp to get.. The freedom of wire off phone as well as convenient i think it would be good for the cable too not getting snagged going in and out of pocket... In terms of performance of the Go Blu , I am attracted to the Xbass and XSpace , particularly XSpace.. I am a fan of soundstage widening effects. Do you use it?

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #1,314 of 1,365
Bit of coincidence I have ie600 and have been hovering over GoBlu for 6 months as the dac/amp to get.. The freedom of wire off phone as well as convenient i think it would be good for the cable too not getting snagged going in and out of pocket... In terms of performance of the Go Blu , I am attracted to the Xbass and XSpace , particularly XSpace.. I am a fan of soundstage widening effects. Do you use it?

I was using an iFi xCan with the WP900, however I didn't feel it needed either the Xbass or XSpace to be honest.

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,315 of 1,365
I owned the WP900s and absolutely adored the design and sound - I thought they'd be my end-game portable/closed-backs.

I found that from a practical sense, they eventually weren't really suited for my needs. They made too much articulating "noise" from the yokes, especially if I leaned my head back against a seat or a pillow. That, and they don't really have much by way of passive noise isolation.

The Aeon 2 Noire worked out to be a better all-round headphone for my needs.

I do miss them, however, and I think I'll end up getting them again purely from an emotional-connection point of view.

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,316 of 1,365
I owned the WP900s and absolutely adored the design and sound - I thought they'd be my end-game portable/closed-backs.

I found that from a practical sense, they eventually weren't really suited for my needs. They made too much articulating "noise" from the yokes, especially if I leaned my head back against a seat or a pillow. That, and they don't really have much by way of passive noise isolation.

The Aeon 2 Noire worked out to be a better all-round headphone for my needs.

I do miss them, however, and I think I'll end up getting them again purely from an emotional-connection point of view.

I know an open back, but I see you own the 109 Pro - can you recall how WP900 compare? My current favourite headphone is Denon D9200, and I'm keen to explore more open back sets - the 109 Pro on the radar a while now! I love the WP900 too.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #1,317 of 1,365
I know an open back, but I see you own the 109 Pro - can you recall how WP900 compare? My current favourite headphone is Denon D9200, and I'm keen to explore more open back sets - the 109 Pro on the radar a while now! I love the WP900 too.
It's been a couple of years so I'm going on memory here, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. The WP900 is definitely more overtly V-shaped, with more scooped mids than the 109. The 109 is not too dissimilar in that it has a slightly pronounced bass boost (not quite so much as the WP900) and shimmery upper treble.

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #1,318 of 1,365
I use GoBlu XBass & XSpace with Audeze Sine. Sure makes em more funny. I use XSpace if i use Beyer T5.3 to but Gryphons XBass in Precense mode really is the best here. IE600 no tuning at all.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #1,319 of 1,365
I use GoBlu XBass & XSpace with Audeze Sine. Sure makes em more funny. I use XSpace if i use Beyer T5.3 to but Gryphons XBass in Precense mode really is the best here. IE600 no tuning at all.
well at least the crossfeed is analogue based, active components, not DSP. I use a digital one on Wavelet, just a low setting and I find it great on ie600 so I have hopes for it with Go Blu.... 1 hour after wirting this ive just gone for FiiO KA2. Hopefully Ill be happy.. I have the balanced cable but I got the 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter.. But I doubt that turns the 3.5mm cable into an actual balanced cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back