Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Nov 13, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #1,322 of 1,365
I owned the WP900s and absolutely adored the design and sound - I thought they'd be my end-game portable/closed-backs.

I found that from a practical sense, they eventually weren't really suited for my needs. They made too much articulating "noise" from the yokes, especially if I leaned my head back against a seat or a pillow. That, and they don't really have much by way of passive noise isolation.

The Aeon 2 Noire worked out to be a better all-round headphone for my needs.

I do miss them, however, and I think I'll end up getting them again purely from an emotional-connection point of view.
But Noires in public? Not a bit too outstanding, not just in the sound performance sense?

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #1,323 of 1,365
well at least the crossfeed is analogue based, active components, not DSP. I use a digital one on Wavelet, just a low setting and I find it great on ie600 so I have hopes for it with Go Blu.... 1 hour after wirting this ive just gone for FiiO KA2. Hopefully Ill be happy.. I have the balanced cable but I got the 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter.. But I doubt that turns the 3.5mm cable into an actual balanced cable?

Maybe you mistyped that, but just in case FYI/ICYMI - Unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise, it's not generally a good idea to plug in a single end cable into a balanced output.

General rule of thumb
BAL cable -> Adapter -> Single end device output OK
SE cable -> Adapter -> Balanced device output NOT OK

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #1,324 of 1,365
They are all 3 pretty different tbh. To my ears 1540 have a pretty relaxing sound, airy, big soundstage, I would say U shape sounding. I always think about the analogy of a ribbon mic, sweet sounding. T5 3rd gen are L shape to my ears, big hard hitting bass, thicker notes, very analogue sounding and good soundstage but less airy than 1540 or wp900. WP900 signature is a v-shape, not extreme but still V-shape. They are fast, airy, good clean hard hitting bass. And it’s FUN, it’s possibily the most musical and exciting headphones I have in my collection.
After a month of owning them, I would say that for my taste if I had to choose between all my headphones/iems, I would choose the wp900 as my desert island hp :)
I love ATH and i owned the WS55, WS99 and now the WS1100 and love me some bass but not too much these days now i am getting older and wondering if the WP900 are for me. The WS1100 are semi open and always had closed ones and so more spacious and bigger soundstage yet still very impactfull in the bass, but a little less then a closed one. And was weird in the beginning but after a few months i loved them till this day. But now looking for a new one a step up and maybe this one or the Ibasso SR2 which is also semi open. And doubting between semi open and closed cause love the impact of a close one and semi for other things. And i like more male vocals then female vocals and female vocals sounded better then male right..?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #1,325 of 1,365
Maybe you mistyped that, but just in case FYI/ICYMI - Unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise, it's not generally a good idea to plug in a single end cable into a balanced output.

General rule of thumb
BAL cable -> Adapter -> Single end device output OK
SE cable -> Adapter -> Balanced device output NOT OK
Right.. all I know is the fiio KA2 is balanced only and on Amazon the paired purchase was an adapter, 4.4 male 3.5mm female. I don't know how paired purchase works, presumably people know what they are doing getting the adaptor.. or maybe they are wrong ha.

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #1,326 of 1,365
I love ATH and i owned the WS55, WS99 and now the WS1100 and love me some bass but not too much these days now i am getting older and wondering if the WP900 are for me. The WS1100 are semi open and always had closed ones and so more spacious and bigger soundstage yet still very impactfull in the bass, but a little less then a closed one. And was weird in the beginning but after a few months i loved them till this day. But now looking for a new one a step up and maybe this one or the Ibasso SR2 which is also semi open. And doubting between semi open and closed cause love the impact of a close one and semi for other things. And i like more male vocals then female vocals and female vocals sounded better then male right..?
Try the iBasso SR3. I have that and the SR2. Neither is really an open headphone, but the bass is superb on both. The SR3 is more neutral and the SR2 more "fun." Both come with two sets of different ear pads that change the character. There are threads about the iBasso cans on the forum.

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,327 of 1,365
Try the iBasso SR3. I have that and the SR2. Neither is really an open headphone, but the bass is superb on both. The SR3 is more neutral and the SR2 more "fun." Both come with two sets of different ear pads that change the character. There are threads about the iBasso cans on the forum.
Thx man and seen the posts about the SR2 not the 3 and when i wanna buy i always do a lot of research so lots of stuff to read. And will take a look at the SR3 cause have not read about that one. And for a closed version then this WP900 is stil good enough in the low end..?

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #1,328 of 1,365
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,329 of 1,365
I'm actually considering listing mine for sale (they're pristine, with AT and custom balanced cables, an extra set of AT pads, two pairs of Yaxi pads, plus an AT hard case) because I have some other alternatives I'm using more.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,330 of 1,365
because I have some other alternatives I'm using more.
Which are? I mean we all tend to update our gear

But im surprised its you selling these.

I bought them 4 years ago and they are still mint, the first 2 years I had my doubts of I should kept them but now its a permament keeper. No headphones are ever going to have this tuning, its extremely specialized.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #1,333 of 1,365
Are these better than fully nodded Elegias. Someone actually breezed passed me with Elegias on months ago but I couldn't stop them. I have a feeling the Elegias have a bigger wider stereo stage from what I've read.
WHAT EXACTLY do you mean by nodded, if its modded what exactly are the mods.

I had both the elegia and the wp900 which I compared extensively.

They both perform at a similar sound quality but the wp900 is more detailed. Very different signatures so take with a grain of salt.

The most important thing is fit, both the elegia and the wp900 have had problems fitting in peoples heads ruining the sound completely. This may be possible to fix with pad rolling but I recommend the stock pads for maximum detail retrieval.

After that is very easy to choose

Soundstage size are very similar, noise isolation is better with elegia by a lot, comfort depends on your head. I prefer wp900 comfort.

If you want a studio like sound, with great separation, clear and clean sound, something thats close to the original recording, and blacker background, it also has more weight in the midrange. Then go ELEGIA

If you want a heavy v shape, that will make your ears rumble (without hurting), and a bright sparkling sound, with a wooden slower decay, great texturing, great detail inspite of the "dirty" bass and also great female vocals. Then go for the wp900

Important: the wp900 midrange is quite a bit weaker than elegias, if you care A LOT about the midrange elegias are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back