Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #1,292 of 1,365
I got ie600s back in March instead because of the warming weather but now I'm back into "best possible portable wired close back cans" mode and I just know that my research led to these , of course after 6 months you'd be a bit groggy and Shure 1540s caught my eye again instantly for their sound , but I think WP-900 won eventually because they are meant for kicking ass more listening to music and plus the high fidelity sound. It's about the length and breadth of it isn't it?... Shures are highly portable light, extremely strong, unbelievably comfortable pads, easy to drive, and they have a top rated high fidelity sound quality. Course "correct" me back to why I chose WP-900 6 months ago please!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,293 of 1,365
1540’s get warmer when wearing in warmer temperatures for portable use in my experience on brisk walks. Also 1540’s are pretty much reference.

The Grado 325X is a great portable option in my opinion although open back. I pair it with Mojo 2 and a little eq.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,294 of 1,365
1540’s get warmer when wearing in warmer temperatures for portable use in my experience on brisk walks. Also 1540’s are pretty much reference.

The Grado 325X is a great portable option in my opinion although open back. I pair it with Mojo 2 and a little eq.
I have ie600s already, maybe I should go WP900 for high quality fun over 1540? Unless you think the 1540 beat WP-900 overall?

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #1,295 of 1,365
Mostly different flavors, and slightly different use cases as mentioned before, in my opinion. Although the 1540 has much better build and I think the stock cable on the WP-900 needs to be replaced and would recommend replacing stock pads too.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #1,296 of 1,365
Mostly different flavors, and slightly different use cases as mentioned before, in my opinion. Although the 1540 has much better build and I think the stock cable on the WP-900 needs to be replaced and would recommend replacing stock pads too.
Yeah, build quality is a major factor for me. A big reason I got ie600 iems is because of their built to last quality.

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #1,297 of 1,365
I recommend the 1540's if natural timbre is high priority and you listen to a lot of folk or rock. Offhand, I think the WP900's may be better all rounders but would need to do more focused listening. On the other hand, reference headphones (1540's) can sometime come across as boring in my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #1,298 of 1,365
I recommend the 1540's if natural timbre is high priority and you listen to a lot of folk or rock. Offhand, I think the WP900's may be better all rounders but would need to do more focused listening. On the other hand, reference headphones (1540's) can sometime come across as boring in my opinion.
WPs more musical and for cranking out the electronic IDM I think

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #1,301 of 1,365
I listened to these in store the other day and loved them. The only issue was that they didn't quite seal properly. I read a post from someone suggesting that the headband can be carefully bent to make it clamp tighter. Has anyone else tried this and did it work? I wouldn't want to spend that much and risk breaking them straight away!

Sep 7, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,302 of 1,365
I listened to these in store the other day and loved them. The only issue was that they didn't quite seal properly. I read a post from someone suggesting that the headband can be carefully bent to make it clamp tighter. Has anyone else tried this and did it work? I wouldn't want to spend that much and risk breaking them straight away!
Yes I did it and it worked, but depending on how lose they are theres only so much you can do

Id say get these only if the fit is almost spot on and just need a small adjustment

Also changing pads might help the seal, yaxi stpad2 but the sound will also changed

Lastly I want to say check out if you can get the ap2000ti, they seal super easily and are more durable and portable. The sound is like a small technical upgrade and bit less bass.

If you do get the wp900 ask me for advice on headband tightening I dont think they break that easily Its just plastic headbands requiere a bit more care

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,303 of 1,365
Yes I did it and it worked, but depending on how lose they are theres only so much you can do

Id say get these only if the fit is almost spot on and just need a small adjustment

Also changing pads might help the seal, yaxi stpad2 but the sound will also changed

Lastly I want to say check out if you can get the ap2000ti, they seal super easily and are more durable and portable. The sound is like a small technical upgrade and bit less bass.

If you do get the wp900 ask me for advice on headband tightening I dont think they break that easily Its just plastic headbands requiere a bit more care
Crikey just checked 2000Ti they are 600 more. That's too much more for me defo...The build of the WP900 is actually a really annoying aspect of them. Might start looking at Cascades again.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #1,304 of 1,365
They are here ! :L3000:
20230929_101319.jpg

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #1,305 of 1,365
Well, i acually read the whole thread now. Strangely this can has gone under my radar for a long time, mostly because i do not like the tuning of most ATs. I travel a lot, mostly by train, and i really like to sink in the world of music at my seat or/and in my hotelroom. I also walk a lot to explore the cities i visit, often with headphones. And important, i like to travel as light on luggage as possible. I have some ”to go cans” in Airpods Max, Audeze Sine (with Vesper over ear) and if i bring a large bag Beyer T5.3. Also got a pair of IE600 when luggage is supposed minimal.

Airpods Max, these cans do not really compare, they are just a compromise with OK sound and great phone/video meeting capabilites. I can do the same with Airpods pro acually wich pacs sooo easy.

IE600, im not really an IEM guy, struggling with fit (Symbio eartips helps) thoug i like the sound signature. And the set up, ifi Go Blu/IE600 with upgrade cable is adorable and so compact.

The Sines are really portable but a little bit flat and boring. The bass boost in ifi Gryphon helps a little but i would like a more funny treble. Detail and technicalitys are OK. Ive also enjoyed dynamic cans more resent. Still a great can but i prefer a v signature on the go.

I really like T5.3, especially with ZMF Beyer Sub sheepskins & ”presence mode” om Gryphon. Makes them bigger an a little bit more balanced. But they are not really portable and do not pack flat.

To my question, can WP900 be what ive been looking for? @JML mentioned pad swapping to Beyer pads, the ZMF perforated beeing a bad chioce, but do they fit? The ZMF Beyer Sub sheepskin really opened up T5.3 in a similar way you guys talk about Yaxi pads. It would be funny to test them on WP900 in that case!

Could AT ATH-WP900 be my perfect travel headphone?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back