Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Aug 14, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #856 of 1,365
No and I will not. I have no doubt that these, like the LCD-2 Classic's, require lots of EQ. As with the LCD-2 Classic's, I will just move them on.
Gotcha, it sounds like these are not for you. I don't find them that bad. I use them as my work headphones and they are more than adequate for that environment.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #857 of 1,365
I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I pull out my WP900's this morning to see how they scale on high end gear. I'm playing them through my GS-X MK2 with the Dave/HMS as the source. I did boost the mids with a Shiit Lokius I have in the mix. So the sound isn't as v-shape but more balanced. To be honest, I like what I hear. The sound is detailed, clear with nice body. The bass is big and full, but could be tighter. I suppose a better cable could improve the WP900's performance even more. After this listening session they might deserve one.

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #862 of 1,365
At long last...I have reached the end of 58 pages.

I come here seeking impressions of people who have heard ATH-W1000X, ATH-W1000Z and Fostex TH-X00 mahogony as they are my considerations along with ATH-WP900 for home use with my CA CXNV2 streamer to CA Azur 540A v2 headphone out.

For headphones, I came from ATH-ES7 to ES10 to ESW9 to ESW9LTD. I switched to wood once i started hearing "metallic" sound in ES10.

I have heard the ESW10LTD before and thought it was beautifully mellowed then.

Music I typically listen to are female kpop, jpop, full orchestra classical and piano pieces, the occasional english rock and pop.

Wonder if ATH-WP900 will be a significant upgrade over ESW9LTD or should I opt for 1 of the other 3 cheaper options for 2nd hand above which are nearly half the price of a brand new WP900?

Attachments

• 20210920_180322.jpg
    20210920_180322.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #863 of 1,365
At long last...I have reached the end of 58 pages.

I come here seeking impressions of people who have heard ATH-W1000X, ATH-W1000Z and Fostex TH-X00 mahogony as they are my considerations along with ATH-WP900 for home use with my CA CXNV2 streamer to CA Azur 540A v2 headphone out.

For headphones, I came from ATH-ES7 to ES10 to ESW9 to ESW9LTD. I switched to wood once i started hearing "metallic" sound in ES10.

I have heard the ESW10LTD before and thought it was beautifully mellowed then.

Music I typically listen to are female kpop, jpop, full orchestra classical and piano pieces, the occasional english rock and pop.

Wonder if ATH-WP900 will be a significant upgrade over ESW9LTD or should I opt for 1 of the other 3 cheaper options for 2nd hand above which are nearly half the price of a brand new WP900?

Audio technica esw9ltd has been my endgame for Audio Technica closed backs. Nothing else came close, even later. Outshines my iems too. Just has a little extra high-shelf treble, but nothing is cursed about it. It actually out resolves most stuff out there. And cause it's on-ear it doesn't become as boxy being a closed back that doesn't have some big brain diffusal setup like in the old Sony R10 or the metamaterial of the DCA Stealth.

Esw9ltd has way more subbass than expected from an on-ear. Nice enough mids and compensating pinna gain. Maybe a little high shelved in the treble.

If you want less treble, you could try lining the inside with a cut-out of something. 1-ply toilet paper, or cut-out from something like the foam earpads of a grado, or better, the thinner foam earpads of Koss on ears.

Or of course just EQ off a Qudelix 5k Bluetooth transceiver (or BTR5). Or dap.

Off what you listed the Fostex TH-X00 would be my suggestion; the others wouldn't be in consideration to me. But it sounds even better modded.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #864 of 1,365
Ohh that's interesting to hear to hear you recommend the fostex instead of other ATH woodies

Fostex TH-X00 would be my suggestion; the others wouldn't be in consideration to me. But it sounds amazing modded.
<= Sorry are you referring to Modded TH-X00 or ESW9LTD?

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #865 of 1,365
Modded TH-X00 (from headfi user Zerousen, he also has an audio technica collection if you want to discuss with him in DMs).

ESW9LTD still holds up to today. (but it's an on-ear)

Edit: oh wait nvm the TH-X00 mod is a complete overhaul; it isn't closed back after. So that probably isn't relevant for you anymore. (but it's good)

TH-X00 was still good without the mod; but original TH-X00 is semi-open (like most closed-back nowadays). Original is great if you want a warm sound signature. Mod makes it an all rounder.

TH-X00 will present different than all the others; the others I felt were all just derivatives of my esw9ltd. Felt I could just EQ my Esw9ltd after trying the others.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #866 of 1,365
And so off i went to a local store to audition the ATH-WP900 and against my better judgement as THOSE CUPS SO PRETTY, i brought them home.

First off, you are right, they are quite similar in signature though i did notice some subtle changes:
ESW9LTD is more intimate than WP900
WP900 seems to have wider soundstage and better imaging
There's some strange hollow gap in some frequencies for some songs, it felt like I was listening through those artificial 3D filters (creative sxfi mode).
Female vocals on WP900 were even more moving and engaging than on ESW9LTD

Bringing them home to my streamer and plugged to my amplifier (CA 540A v2) headphone out, I expected WP900 to sound just as rich as ESW9LTD in an even wider soundstage....but nope, all I got was better clarity and less bass (very strange). I tried readjusting cup position to seal better but that wasnt the issue.

Would running them in improve anything? I felt quite underwhelmed and felt I have just paid for an expensive work of art....which got pretty hot after a short period of time. Not great when ESW9LTD could stay on an hour no sweat literally.

That said, it looks gorgeous. Like a bimbo with no brains atm.

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #867 of 1,365
And so off i went to a local store to audition the ATH-WP900 and against my better judgement as THOSE CUPS SO PRETTY, i brought them home.

First off, you are right, they are quite similar in signature though i did notice some subtle changes:
ESW9LTD is more intimate than WP900
WP900 seems to have wider soundstage and better imaging
There's some strange hollow gap in some frequencies for some songs, it felt like I was listening through those artificial 3D filters (creative sxfi mode).
Female vocals on WP900 were even more moving and engaging than on ESW9LTD

Bringing them home to my streamer and plugged to my amplifier (CA 540A v2) headphone out, I expected WP900 to sound just as rich as ESW9LTD in an even wider soundstage....but nope, all I got was better clarity and less bass (very strange). I tried readjusting cup position to seal better but that wasnt the issue.

Would running them in improve anything? I felt quite underwhelmed and felt I have just paid for an expensive work of art....which got pretty hot after a short period of time. Not great when ESW9LTD could stay on an hour no sweat literally.

That said, it looks gorgeous. Like a bimbo with no brains atm.
That hollow gap is the recessed mid frequencies. And yes, these headphones have a somewhat hollow affect - at least they did to my ears. I believe the wp900 is the better resolving headphone, and perhaps you're just not use to that. The upper mids are a bit too elevated for an overly rich sound, especially with the dip in the mids. You might be accustomed to or prefer that richer sound. Keep listening to the wp900 until your brain adjusts to the different signature.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #868 of 1,365
Icic...the recessed mids does help to present some songs to be less congested e.g. promise me by beverly carven and highlighting the beautiful female vocals

But at the same time it hollows out Get lucky by daft punk. I had readjusted fit while auditioning and thought the hollowness was due to fit.

I had paired my ESW9LTD with my fiio BTR5 and this pairing over resolves everything. Orchestra pieces highlighted the sniffing of musicians, the soft cough and the ruffling of sheets. It wasn't that bad for WP900 direct to amp.

I do love the WP900 for jpop and kpop, it does feels even more lively than ESW9LTD

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #869 of 1,365
Icic...the recessed mids does help to present some songs to be less congested e.g. promise me by beverly carven and highlighting the beautiful female vocals

But at the same time it hollows out Get lucky by daft punk. I had readjusted fit while auditioning and thought the hollowness was due to fit.

I had paired my ESW9LTD with my fiio BTR5 and this pairing over resolves everything. Orchestra pieces highlighted the sniffing of musicians, the soft cough and the ruffling of sheets. It wasn't that bad for WP900 direct to amp.

I do love the WP900 for jpop and kpop, it does feels even more lively than ESW9LTD
With a little more burn in and getting used to, you may end liking them a lot.

What I do is mostly use them for things like jpop, kpop and electronic, I think they work wonderully with the correct songs, like nothing else actually, so they are still a keeper for me but definitely not a good allrounder.

Also using a chain with good synergy plays a critical role to bulk up the midrange a little bit, which is very much necessary

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #870 of 1,365
With a little more burn in and getting used to, you may end liking them a lot.

What I do is mostly use them for things like jpop, kpop and electronic, I think they work wonderully with the correct songs, like nothing else actually, so they are still a keeper for me but definitely not a good allrounder.

Also using a chain with good synergy plays a critical role to bulk up the midrange a little bit, which is very much necessary
I certainly hope so! For the price I could get a ATH-ESW11LTD.

I agree it's not a good allrounder which is what the ESW9LTD is good for I guess.

I am using full size streamer cambridge audio cxn v2 to full size amplifier cambridge audio azur 540a v2. Pity my 300B tube amps have no headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back