Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Jul 6, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #843 of 1,365
Jul 26, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #845 of 1,365
First headphone i'm interested in because of the looks.

How is it tuned? As someone who hates the TH-900 but likes the AH-D9200 would i like it? Also did anyone compare it to the 9200? Is there anything it does better?

Jul 26, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #847 of 1,365
If you hate the TH900, the WP900 is probably not for you.
Heh, so succinct, yet so very true. The ATH-WP900 is a lesser variant of the TH900 Mk2, IMO. Both of these headphones are certainly sculpted from similar blocks of wood. For what it's worth, the reverse holds true - if you enjoy the ATH-WP900, you'll probably love the TH900 Mk2 more. That is, of course, unless you're a treble-sensitive individual. :sweat_smile:

First headphone i'm interested in because of the looks.

How is it tuned? As someone who hates the TH-900 but likes the AH-D9200 would i like it? Also did anyone compare it to the 9200? Is there anything it does better?
I have compared the ATH-WP900, the AH-D9200, and the TH900 Mk2 here.

Of the bunch, my personal favorite is the AH-D9200, but the TH900 Mk2 follows closely behind.

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #848 of 1,365
Put these on today for the first time in a long time. The V-shaped signature is really not for me.

Since I haven't been having any luck selling or even trading them, I decided to give them a shot with jazz. The recessed mids don't work for me in rock music. I started with a Miles Davis album that had some wailing horns. Not a great fit as it came off pretty shrill. Next up was Nubya Garcia, a sax player from the UK. She has a strong band around her and I have her first two albums. They sound Wonderful on the WP900's! The bass is accentuated and makes everything more enjoyable.

If I do end up keeping these, they will be 'phones that I only use with certain music. The rest of my headphones I use with all genres.

I am now going to try them with my "new" Miles Davis album that came out in June. Hopefully it won't be too "honkey".

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #849 of 1,365
Some record's mixes heavily favor v-shaped systems playing them, for instance most of the japanese pop I listen to does, to the point where the songs sound balanced rather than actually v-shaped, the wp900 are my least used hps on my collection but I do need them for certain albums, or certain moods.

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #850 of 1,365
Some record's mixes heavily favor v-shaped systems playing them, for instance most of the japanese pop I listen to does, to the point where the songs sound balanced rather than actually v-shaped, the wp900 are my least used hps on my collection but I do need them for certain albums, or certain moods.
Agreed, the WP900’s are not bad headphones at all and sound great well mixed recordings. I like them with my Dragonfly Cobalt the best.

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #851 of 1,365
I gave them a shot today with jazz and they are not cutting it. The treble is just too strong. Sax was nice, but trumpet and trombone just aren't going to make it.

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #852 of 1,365
I gave them a shot today with jazz and they are not cutting it. The treble is just too strong. Sax was nice, but trumpet and trombone just aren't going to make it.
Do you EQ them at all?

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #853 of 1,365
I dont like them with jazz either, with most of the jazz tracks at least 1 instrument gets heavily recessed, which sucks because otherwise this tuning would be incredible for that genre.

Anyway comparing these with my other AT's these are still a keeper, theres something special about the love-hate relationship I have with this tuning.

@Slim1970 i seldom eq but I think these would take it very good, what do you use?

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #854 of 1,365
I dont like them with jazz either, with most of the jazz tracks at least 1 instrument gets heavily recessed, which sucks because otherwise this tuning would be incredible for that genre.

Anyway comparing these with my other AT's these are still a keeper, theres something special about the love-hate relationship I have with this tuning.

@Slim1970 i seldom eq but I think these would take it very good, what do you use?
When I listen to them on my desktop setup I use the Loki or Lokius. Both work great in boosting certain frequencies with all of my gear. The Lokius is exceptional. Otherwise, straight out of the DF Cobalt they sound great as well. Actually the WP900 sound better on lesser sources since they are so easy to drive. The WP900’s don’t necessarily scale all that well.

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #855 of 1,365
Do you EQ them at all?
No and I will not. I have no doubt that these, like the LCD-2 Classic's, require lots of EQ. As with the LCD-2 Classic's, I will just move them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back