Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #571 of 1,370
My redone cables from Impact Audio Cables arrived yesterday, with the Moon Audio A2DC connectors (on the black cable in place of another connector that had a larger diameter) having color-coded heatshrink applied over the silver-colored sections (see the black cable photo for the red lettering on one of the A2DC connectors). Listening reports to follow when I get a chance. But I can report that these are beautifully built and both are very flexible. One is OCC type 6 Litz with a 4.4mm Pentaconn and the other is his standard OCC copper with a 4-pin XLR. The Litz cable with the poly sheathing has less microphonic noise from movement of the cord against your clothing than the paracord-covered version, but that's true for all cables, from every maker, with those types of outer covers. And likely one major reason why IEM cables are usually made with the poly sheath and not paracord.

Lindsay is a wonderful cable builder who is great to work with, and his prices are very reasonable (price varies, depending upon choice of cable type and length, connectors, splitters, etc.). Plus his turnaround from order to delivery is usually quite fast, until he gets busy. Highly recommended!

IMG_1143.jpeg

IMG_1146.jpeg
Oh, the cable in the first photo looks amazing. I need one exactly the same for my ADX5000, will it work? And how do I have to order it so that it is exactly the same as yours? Thank you.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #572 of 1,370
I believe the Moon connectors are long enough to work on any AT headphone with A2DC ports.

Here's the build information for the Litz cable (not the black paracord cable):
  • wire type: Type 6 Litz OCC copper - "Each wire consists of 6 enamel coated groups of finely stranded copper wire. The 6 groups are then wrapped around a fiber core to maintain the round shape of the wire. There is a clear XLDPE (cross linked polyethylene) insulation then applied to the outside of the wire. This insulation is both durable and flexible while at the same time providing low microphonics."
  • length: 4.5 feet (he usually does 4 feet or 5 feet, but I asked for 4.5)
  • source termination: Eidolic 4.4mm TRRRS black barrel
  • headphone termination: Moon Audio A2DC connectors, black color-coded IAC heat-shrink
  • splitter: Eidolic black E-SXAM w/black carbon fiber inlay

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #573 of 1,370
Here's the build information for my black paracord-wrapped cable from Impact Audio, for my desktop amp. This is a variant of the "Custom Infinity Series."
  • wire type: 26awg OCC copper wire with PE insulation, obviously wrapped with black paracord - "The cable is constructed using four wires with each conductor then individually sleeved. It is then hand braided in a round litz configuration to help reduce EMI or RFI interference."
  • length: 6 feet
  • source termination: Neutrik black 4-pin XLR with gold pins (you can choose a black Eidolic E-T4PR XLR)
  • headphone termination: Moon Audio A2DC connectors, black color-coded IAC heat-shrink
  • splitter: Eidolic black E-SXAM w/black carbon fiber inlay

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #574 of 1,370
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #576 of 1,370
Hello,

Will be this wp900 good for jazz, blues, old rock and some EDM?

regards,
Simon

I think the most important factors to consider would be vocals and bass.

The bass has some midbass emphasis so if you are someone that strongly prefers either minimal bass, or an emphasis on subbass there are probably better options.

For vocals the emphasis is on upper midrange although there is some warmth imparted in the lower midrange they can still sound somewhat out of balance- recessed particularly with male voices, or aggressive with brighter vocal mixes. The extreme case is perhaps best illustrated with tv/movie content where voices tend to sound a bit hollow/cupped- although I think this is partly due to emphasis on speech & room sound in film, so with music it is not generally so bothersome. However if you are someone that values full, upfront sounding vocals you might find it to be an issue.

Personally I find them reasonably versatile (although I have not been listening to much rock or blues recently) but there are occasional moments were these traits (particularly vocal midrange) get in the way.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #578 of 1,370
@Mhog55 what series cable did you order from Arctic Cables? I see lots of options :p

@feverfive , @JML , I looked at the Impact Cables website and didn't see any options for Audio-Technica. Do you have to provide the connectors and custom order?
Just use the Contact form, and tell Lindsay what you need. Specify A2DC connectors. You can also just select any cable build you want, and in the Note to Seller box, indicate A2DC connectors.

Nov 27, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #580 of 1,370
Tell him you want the Moon Audio A2DC connectors.

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #582 of 1,370
@Mhog55 what series cable did you order from Arctic Cables? I see lots of options :p

@feverfive , @JML , I looked at the Impact Cables website and didn't see any options for Audio-Technica. Do you have to provide the connectors and custom order?
The Ion series

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #585 of 1,370
All paracord and fabric wrapped cables are more microphonic than the polyethylene or rubber/plastic covered cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back