Oct 26, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #541 of 1,370
I'm glad you got an answer! But it is expensive:

ATH-DSR9BT
#132508210 CASE SR9
$83.83 each
Shipping FedEx $10.56

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #542 of 1,370
My redone cables from Impact Audio Cables arrived yesterday, with the Moon Audio A2DC connectors (on the black cable in place of another connector that had a larger diameter) having color-coded heatshrink applied over the silver-colored sections (see the black cable photo for the red lettering on one of the A2DC connectors). Listening reports to follow when I get a chance. But I can report that these are beautifully built and both are very flexible. One is OCC type 6 Litz with a 4.4mm Pentaconn and the other is his standard OCC copper with a 4-pin XLR. The Litz cable with the poly sheathing has less microphonic noise from movement of the cord against your clothing than the paracord-covered version, but that's true for all cables, from every maker, with those types of outer covers. And likely one major reason why IEM cables are usually made with the poly sheath and not paracord.

Lindsay is a wonderful cable builder who is great to work with, and his prices are very reasonable (price varies, depending upon choice of cable type and length, connectors, splitters, etc.). Plus his turnaround from order to delivery is usually quite fast, until he gets busy. Highly recommended!

IMG_1143.jpeg

IMG_1146.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #543 of 1,370
My redone cables from Impact Audio Cables arrived yesterday, with the Moon Audio A2DC connectors (on the black cable in place of another connector that had a larger diameter) having color-coded heatshrink applied over the silver-colored sections (see the black cable photo for the red lettering on one of the A2DC connectors). Listening reports to follow when I get a chance. But I can report that these are beautifully built and both are very flexible. One is OCC type 6 Litz with a 4.4mm Pentaconn and the other is his standard OCC copper with a 4-pin XLR. The Litz cable with the poly sheathing has less microphonic noise from movement of the cord against your clothing than the paracord-covered version, but that's true for all cables, from every maker, with those types of outer covers. And likely one major reason why IEM cables are usually made with the poly sheath and not paracord.

Lindsay is a wonderful cable builder who is great to work with, and his prices are very reasonable (price varies, depending upon choice of cable type and length, connectors, splitters, etc.). Plus his turnaround from order to delivery is usually quite fast, until he gets busy. Highly recommended!

IMG_1143.jpeg

IMG_1146.jpeg
The cables look good, especially the one clothed in paracord. I'm a fan of sleeved cables, with the myriad color and pattern varieties abound. Congrats, I'm glad to hear that they fit! :)

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #544 of 1,370
I did look at various paracord combinations available from several places, and didn't see something I could be sure would look right with the WP900. Hard to match that gorgeous wood color with an orange or rust-colored paracord option to go along with the black hardware on the headphone (and find those colors available from the right maker with the right connectors and price)! Silver/gray/black headphones are much easier to match up!

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #545 of 1,370
I did look at various paracord combinations available from several places, and didn't see something I could be sure would look right with the WP900. Hard to match that gorgeous wood color with an orange or rust-colored paracord option to go along with the black hardware on the headphone (and find those colors available from the right maker with the right connectors and price)! Silver/gray/black headphones are much easier to match up!
I went with silver-coated Litz and black connectors on mine from Impact Audio so will be interesting to see how they match up with the WP900, hopefully will get them late next week

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #546 of 1,370
Cables connected to the WP900.

IMG_1148.jpeg

IMG_1149.jpeg

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #549 of 1,370
That connection doesn't look secure, similar to what my Arctic Cable was. Does it wiggle around at all inside the sockets?
I think that extra part of the connection sticking out is to account for the ADX5000 and AP2000ti’s extra recessed connectors?

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #550 of 1,370
That connection doesn't look secure, similar to what my Arctic Cable was. Does it wiggle around at all inside the sockets?
They're as secure as the A-T cables (both original and upgrade). No real wiggling difference. The tips of the connectors themselves are all the same size, of course, but the barrels of all the A2DC connectors, OEM and aftermarket, are slightly different in diameter after the "business end" at the tip. For the WP900 they have to be smaller in diameter than the recessed plug-to-jack area on the headphone cups, and long enough, in order to fit. Unlike other connector designs, like Focal's or some of Sennheiser's, none of the A2DC plugs perfectly match the recesses in the WP900 or have a physical locking mechanism beyond the tiny "business end" of the plug. The first set of plugs that Impact Audio Cables used for me on the black paracord cable just barely fit in the recess and I didn't feel they made as secure a connection for the signal transfer as do the thinner connectors (the "click" into place is more palpable with the Moon Audio connectors, but they don't fit the recess as tightly).

Audio-Technica came up with the design of the A2DC connector for their IEMs, instead of adopting the more widely-used MMCX, and then decided to use the A2DC on their headphones without first standardizing the physical parameters of the connection past the signal transfer part of the connector. But they're not alone with coming up with a different connection method, as many other makers use an idiosyncratic connection even for "standard" 3.5mm plugs.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #551 of 1,370
A2DC Connector Measurements (UPDATED)

WP900 socket recess diameter: 5.86mm.
A2DC connectors, diameter and length of the sleeve that fits into the socket after the actual current-carrying part of the plug (before the wider section that covers the cable):
  • Stock Audio-Technica WP900 cable, A-T A2DC connectors - diameter 5.76 mm, length 8.2mm
  • Audio-Technica HDC114A/1.2 cable, A-T A2DC connectors - diameter 5.21 mm, length 10 mm
  • Impact Audio Cables, Moon Audio A2DC connectors - diameter 4.96 mm, length 10 mm
  • Impact Audio Cables, first set of A2DC connectors - diameter 5.84 mm, length 11.2 mm
Here's an explanation from Audio-Technica about the A2DC connectors: https://www.audio-technica.com/en-u...ce=Twitter&utm_medium=Tweet&utm_campaign=A2DC

The aftermarket A2DC connectors seem to all be from China. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20201031092359&SearchText=a2dc+plug

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #552 of 1,370
A2DC Connector Measurements (UPDATED)

WP900 socket recess diameter: 5.86mm.
A2DC connectors, diameter and length of the sleeve that fits into the socket after the actual current-carrying part of the plug:
  • Stock Audio-Technica WP900 cable, A-T A2DC connectors - diameter 5.76 mm, length 8.2mm
  • Audio-Technica HDC114A/1.2 cable, A-T A2DC connectors - diameter 5.21 mm, length 10 mm
  • Impact Audio Cables, Moon Audio A2DC connectors - diameter 4.96 mm, length 10 mm
  • Impact Audio Cables, first set of A2DC connectors - diameter 5.84 mm, length 11.2 mm
Here's an explanation from Audio-Technica about the A2DC connectors: https://www.audio-technica.com/en-u...ce=Twitter&utm_medium=Tweet&utm_campaign=A2DC

The aftermarket A2DC connectors seem to all be from China. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20201031092359&SearchText=a2dc+plug
Thanks, this is all very helpful. :)

It's a shame that there are so many variants of the A2DC connectors floating around. Hopefully, moving forth, this conundrum will be resolved, thanks to greater insight on the sizes of the recessed sockets and their corresponding connectors on the affected Audio-Technica headphones.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #553 of 1,370
They're as secure as the A-T cables (both original and upgrade). No real wiggling difference. The tips of the connectors themselves are all the same size, of course, but the barrels of all the A2DC connectors, OEM and aftermarket, are slightly different in diameter after the "business end" at the tip. For the WP900 they have to be smaller in diameter than the recessed plug-to-jack area on the headphone cups, and long enough, in order to fit. Unlike other connector designs, like Focal's or some of Sennheiser's, none of the A2DC plugs don't perfectly match the recesses in the WP900 or have a physical locking mechanism beyond the tiny "business end" of the plug. The first set of plugs that Impact Audio Cables used for me on the black paracord cable just barely fit in the recess and I didn't feel they made as secure a connection for the signal transfer as do the thinner connectors (the "click" into place is more palpable with the Moon Audio connectors, but they don't fit the recess as tightly).

Audio-Technica came up with the design of the A2DC connector for their IEMs, instead of adopting the more widely-used MMCX, and then decided to use the A2DC on their headphones without first standardizing the physical parameters of the connection past the signal transfer part of the connector. But they're not alone with coming up with a different connection method, as many other makers use an idiosyncratic connection even for "standard" 3.5mm plugs.
Any difference in sound signature with the litz cable now that you have had it for a few days to compare, thanks mine shipped yesterday got the JD Labs element II as well so will be interesting to see how it pairs with the WD900

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #554 of 1,370
Any difference in sound signature with the litz cable now that you have had it for a few days to compare, thanks mine shipped yesterday got the JD Labs element II as well so will be interesting to see how it pairs with the WD900

Haven't had the opportunity yet. Sorry.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #555 of 1,370
Mine just arrived silver coated Litz with black connectors, looks great and the workmanship is sublime, Lindsay did an outstanding job and super easy to deal with even with all my indecision and newbie questions. Couldn't be happier with the work from Impact Audio. Also had a 4.4mm female to 6.3mm make adapter made which is beautiful will have a review on this with my JD labs Element-II next week when it arrives.
IMG_3836.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back