Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #526 of 1,370
Impact Audio built two balanced WP900 cables for me. Both are now back with him, as he's changing the first cable's connectors to the Moon Audio connectors and putting his black heat shrink on them on both cables. One is his regular copper wire with paracord covering, using an XLR connector for my desktop balanced DAC/amp. The other is Litz wire, with an Eidolic 4.4mm Pentaconn connector. I hope to do a serious comparison later, after I get them back.
Great look forward to hearing your thoughts, did you get any feedback from Audio Technica USA on the case, thanks

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #527 of 1,370
No answer at all from AT USA on the case. One dealer told me they cannot get the case separately.

Oct 24, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #528 of 1,370
5.0mm should work fine. Just tell them to restrict any heat-shrink to the silver colored section. (If they actually do that, of course, over the set-screw fitting.) Today I sent the Litz cable back for black heat-shrink to be applied over the silver section of the Moon connectors and I am having my desktop balanced XLR cable redone with the Moon Audio connectors (I posted a picture of that cable earlier). The Litz cables are extremely flexible, and the clear poly coating has no microphonics, which can be an issue with the fabric-wrapped cables from any maker. When I get my cables back I hope to compare all four (these two, the original AT cable, and the upgraded AT cable).
Thanks, I will do that. Although, I think that the silver barrel contrasts really well with the black frame of the ATH-WP900; but then again, it might look a little ostentatious.

In any case, my primary objective is to get it to fit, and I'm hoping that this one will. I don't really like the stock cable - Audio-Technica should have shipped a more robust or supple one.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #529 of 1,370
I think the silver looks garish on the headphones - everything on the AT is wood or black.

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #532 of 1,370
Just for my unofficial tally, the cable makers who currently provide WP900-compatible A2DC connector are:
--Audio Technica branded upgrade cable (available at Amazon, etc.)
--Forza AudioWorks
--Impact Audio
--Moon Audio
Highly recommend Lindsay at Impact Audio super nice guy, better pricing and service than Christian at Plussound and don't get me started on Effect Audio purchased the Leonidas II under recommendation of Headfonia for my 64 Audio A12t and while great they were $2000 Australian and have now been away for repair for 3 months

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #533 of 1,370
A good friend of mine has stories to tell about Effect...yeah, so I didn't even consider mentioning them.

I did approach Lindsay about a month ago. I just can't get over my mental roadblock of being unwilling to spend more than ~20% (total acquistion cost) of what the headphones/IEM cost. I know...it's self-limiting, but I can't help it.

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #534 of 1,370
Mine arrive tomorrow will post review with my Sony NW ZX507, Mayflower Arc II, stock and Impact Audio cables once it all gets here, pretty excited haven't had over ear can since the Denon D7000 solely Campfire Audio Vega and 64 Audio A12t since.

With cables cans, amps been an expensive week lol

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #535 of 1,370
A good friend of mine has stories to tell about Effect...yeah, so I didn't even consider mentioning them.

I did approach Lindsay about a month ago. I just can't get over my mental roadblock of being unwilling to spend more than ~20% (total acquistion cost) of what the headphones/IEM cost. I know...it's self-limiting, but I can't help it.
don't disagree, but a great cable really opens up most headphones extraordinarily well, i was a non believer until i invested and you won't be dissapointed.

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #537 of 1,370
The only thing i haven't tracked down is a decent case, has anyone had any luck in finding something available that really works for the ATH WP900

Yes. See my earlier post near the start of this thread. Post #7 of 537

The newer version is slightly different on the outside. Available on Amazon. The cables have to be detached, and you need to put something between the two ear cups (I use some thick polyester fleece).

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #538 of 1,370
Oct 26, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #540 of 1,370
No answer at all from AT USA on the case. One dealer told me they cannot get the case separately.
1603755024441.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back