Audio-Technica ATH-W5000 v. Denon 7000?
Jul 5, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #46 of 54
Salut Klypso,

Tu verras bien. Déjà rien que sur mon DX100 ça tabasse du tonnerre. Mais l'AT-HA5000 reste sur ma liste, rien que parce qu'il se mariera superbement -et esthétiquement -et de façon pragmatique avec mes deux W5000 —enfin, je dis ça, mon deuxième est sensé bientôt arriver, il est en transit international en ce moment-même, je brûle d'impatience !

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #47 of 54
Enfoiré
basshead.gif
Tu me fais fortement languir ...

Sinon, question qui n'a rien a voir, as tu déjà entendu parlé du Sony MDR-CD3000 ? C'est le petit frère du R10 en fait ... Et j'hésite entre le w5k et ce dernier, niveau esthétique je vote pour ath obviously, mais qualitativement ...

Bref si tu as pu l'écouter ou autre, ton point de vue m'aiderait :)

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #48 of 54
Quote:
Hi,

I'm sorry to "unearth" this topic (yes, i'm french) but i'm going to buy a w5000 tomorrow or so, and i see that it need the HA5000 to sound right ? What ?

I'm actually with a Asus xonar essence ST, who sounds ******* right for me, better than all my portable things .. (C4, MA9, Lecerkton uha6mk2), but, does it sounds right with the W5000 ?

Thanks !

Hi, I have no  experience with the HA5000 but I can say that the W5000 sounds very good coming out of my Sunrise II amp. A lot better than I'd expected from reading the reviews and impressions of other people.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #49 of 54
I can't believe this nonsense is still being spread. I love the W5000 and had the HA5000 to go along with it. The HA5000 is very neutral and does not alter the frequency respone nor impose any other colorations which changes anything about the W5000. It's pretty much a wire-with-gain kind of amp. You will be hearing the color of the used source, but not the HA5000 itself.

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #50 of 54
The hA5000 is quite linear and articulate but defintely has the distinct MOSFET warmth which lends it a fuller tone than what is considered strictly neutral in my book. This helps the W5000 with a welcome addition in the body and weight department. I did a comparison with SPL's Auditor which was much closer to wire->gain, It was a good match with the Raffinatos but the HA5000 is the complete package, no doubt bout it.

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #51 of 54
Quote:
The hA5000 is quite linear and articulate but defintely has the distinct MOSFET warmth which lends it a fuller tone than what is considered strictly neutral in my book. This helps the W5000 with a welcome addition in the body and weight department.

Definately not my experience with it.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #52 of 54
It's admittedly a subtle effect but it's there and is easy to notice on A/B with a monitoring device such as the Auditor. And after all it's AT's hi-fi equipment we're talking bout here, Should be no surprise that the amp would be tuned to compiment the voicing of the matching headphones.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #53 of 54
There was definately nothing subtle about it because it doesn't exist. I have owned the Phonitor (2 times actually) and the Auditor a few years later than the HA5000. The Auditor sounds a bit thin and trebly which would explain the differences you heard. The Phonitor is more colored vs the Auditor by the way, no wonder as the signal goes through more of SPLs custom OPAs.

When i had the HA5000 i compared it's output to everything else i had avaible and there was definately no warmth added. How do you exactly tune an amp to a headphone? Audio Technica bases it's amp on the same designs again and again. Just look for internal pics of the HA2002, HA5000, HA5000ANV, DHA3000. They all use the same mosfets yet all the paired headphones sound widely different. The only matching happens on the wooden front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back