Audio Technica ATH-W10VTG Review & Pics
Sep 11, 2005 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

overlunge

1000+ Head-Fier
Audio Technica ATH-W10VTG

Introduction
W10VTG is the first pair of Audio Technica Wood headphones. It was first introduced in 21st May 1996, they were not limited production headphones [size=xx-small](Rumors are there were only 3,000 VTG on the market)[/size] where as many ATH-W's were down the line. The specifications of the W10VTG are:

Type: Closed, Dyanmic, Circumaural
Weight: Approx 370g
Impedance: 48 ohms
Sensitivity: 100 dB/mW
Driver Diameter: 53 mm
VTGHousingGlam.jpg

Build Quality
W10VTG's most stunning feature is its dark red coloured wood housing. The housing itself is made of cherry wood grown in alpines in Japan. The Audio Technica name/logo/model number are scribed on the housing with gold coloured paint. It also come with matching coloured wooden 1/8" plug with the word Vintage scribed on it.

The rest of the headphones are standard issued Audio Technica contruction with the frame, wings with no gaps, leather circumaural pads, and left sided entry clothe shelled cable.

One down side of using wood for the housing is it automaticly become scratch/dent/paint chipping prone where as their metal and wood counterparts are relatively lower maintenance. Since owning the VTG headphones few months from used condition, I develop an almost religious habbit of putting them away at night in a bubblewrap lined storage box, and always handled them by the edge. Luckily, I have not have an accident yet.

There were a thread not long ago discussing the off set of the wings, my personal observations are in the most case the wing on the right is lower than the left one. Speculation on my part if because the left sided cable entry alters the users' habbit of putting them on, cause slightly more stress on the right side.
VTGR.jpg

Sound Quality
With my current home system, which is voiced with slight warmth. The W10VTG exhibits the some interesting signature sound of its own:

The midrange is full bodied with a touch more warmth than added by the Grace m902. I suspect the well known Audio Technica colouration is its unique approach to put emphasis on the lower midrange which gives the vocal a touch of husky, seductive feel. With the added warmth, the scale is tilting slightly to the level of congestion.

Treble was something short of stunning, the roll off on the top end give them a very polite and gentle sound. Sibilance is a rare occurrence with the VTG.

Now to the bass, due to VTG's closed design, the bass is rich in quantity, where it falls short was the depth and extension. A hint of slow decay, might project an impression of slow articulation. Overall, I would suggest it has quantity more so than quality.

W10VTG projects a close, intimate soundstage with some added depth to the image. Instrument separation is average in comparison to other ATH-W's that I have auditioned. I suspect it is partly caused by its congested midrange. The amount of detail reproduced by the VTG is a good balance between musicality and analytical. I feel its closer to the former.

Overall, W10VTG is a polite, well-mannered sounding headphone a warm, non-intrusive sound. It reminds me of a slightly sluggish Grado RS-1 with less treble and bass extension as well as forwardness. But when accompanied with its comfortable built and pads, VTG can easily endure a pleasant listen session (with the right room temperature.)
VTGL.jpg

Muisc Test
The following tracks are reviewed on my home system with all material on the original CD/SACD played through Meridian 506.16, signal digitally output through to the Grace m902's DAC/Headphone amplifier. Note my Earmax Pro happily sat out this review process:
JonesAA.jpg

Norah Jone - Seven Years Come Away With Me
Jone's voice sounds slightly boomy during a few passage of the song, but maintained her unique huskiness. All instruments can be identified without much effort, and blends well during busier passage of the music. The slow decay of VTG give lend the song a taste of lazy sweetness. Like mentioned before, the RS-1esque quality make the acoustic guitar a more natural tone.
GorillazAA.jpg

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc. Demon Days
W10VTG is not the best instrument to portrait this song. The slow bass and warmth makes the vocal track of this song even fuzzier. Bass lacks the control and the definitive 'thump' which was intended for this sound. Feel Good Inc. on VTG really is a disaster.
GonzalezAA.jpg

Ruben Gonzalez - Melodia Del Rio Introducing... Ruben Gonzalez
This particular track is centered on the performance of Gonzalez's piano and occasional conversation with the trumpet. Again the VTG conveys a peaceful and three dimensional image, with instruments such as bungos layered and placed within different depth of the soundstage. Piano's tone is natural and has right amount of decay to the sound, which makes the Cuban music a very lively listening experience. There is no vocal on this track.
ColdplayAA.jpg

Coldplay - Fix You & Speed of Sound X&Y
Chris's vocal on the Speed of Sound is noticably recessed, distant and congested with quite poor instrument separation during the busy passages of the chorus and bridge. The contrast was apparent on the Fix You, the vocal turns around with great transparency though the distant feeling remains. VTG performs well with the synthesised sound at the beginning of the song, but towards the end of the track, when all instrument and vocal picks up a pace, VTG was left behind and sound became sluggish.
Conclusion
Audio Technica pioneered a beautifully crafted headphone, W10VTG almost ten years ago, although it comes up short in terms of technical abilities and they are not the last word in terms of speed and dynamic. But it provided a glimpse of what the future ATH-W's holds. Vintage is an appropriate name for this stunning artwork.

Share the Woodie Love
Overlunge

[size=xx-small]p.s. As I finish this review, W10VTG will soon to head to a new home. As I have stated in the review, although this particular headphone has its short coming, but it would holds a special place in my headphone journey since it opens the door to all the woodies I owned/own/going to own. I would like to thank Jason (jjcha) and GRW19 for keeping the ATOWF happy.
biggrin.gif

Disclaimer: This review is based on personal experience with the headphone, others views might vary. Any suggestions towards structure or content of the review are welcomed.[/size]

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 42
excellent review. very informative.
evil_smiley.gif

beautiful photos! i'll admit this - many a time have i been tempted to pick up a woody just on the strength of their looks alone! :blush:

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
A very informative and well composed review. Those pics really get my blood pumpin...awesome looking headphone!
eek.gif

Thanks, gsferrari. I have to admit it took me awhile to decide the format and the tracks I was going to build my review on. Was afraid the music do not cover enough genres to give the reader a full spectrum...

Yeah... the ATH-W's are killers in the look department. Join the ATOWF club, eh?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
excellent review. very informative.
evil_smiley.gif

beautiful photos! i'll admit this - many a time have i been tempted to pick up a woody just on the strength of their looks alone! :blush:

Thank you, adhoc. That's easily done. These Woodies gets better further down the generations... When you get a chance to snatch a pair, don't hesistate. At least you know who will be to keen to buy it off you when you want to sell
wink.gif
You can't fail...

Overlunge

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 42
A gentle nudge to share the woodie love with fellow Head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif

Overlunge

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 42
Very nice review of some gorgeous looking headphones!

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 42
Nice review. I have the L3000 and W2002 and the W10VTG really look and sound interesting. Thanks for providing moe info on the W10VTG.

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Very nice review of some gorgeous looking headphones!

I can just imagine some one hogging these headphones like the Gollum in the LOTR... 'My preccccioussss...' Thanks, Wayne.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
I owned them during a few weeks and, from memory of course, cannot disagree with the review. Nice to have such a complete review for the archives

Nice to see another (past) owner of VTG... thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Sword
Awesome!
i love AT for all its worth and the look of this is impressive eye candy
and a well informative review.
i am not surprised with the pleasing satisfaction, another one for AT

Thank you, Buster Sword. Audio Technica is growing presence in this forum, woodie fanboy-ism aside...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
Nice work Scott

Hehe, Jason. How's the new job going? You are the only person so far that successfully escaped my infectious Woodie love.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Great review.
smily_headphones1.gif
All these woodie talks and photos are really getting me interested in some woodie cans. Too bad the one I really want (W2002) can't really be found anywhere these days.

Thank you, Veniogenesis. If you can't handle the heat, give in to your darkest desire. Woodie love all around.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Nice review. I have the L3000 and W2002 and the W10VTG really look and sound interesting. Thanks for providing moe info on the W10VTG.

Thanks, Purk. I heard rumor that a pair of VTG's heading your way! I hope you love and cherish them the way a proper woodie fanboy should
biggrin.gif

Overlunge

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 42
Fantastic review on the OG classic ATH woodies. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlunge
There were a thread not long ago discussing the off set of the 3D wings, my personal observations are in the most case the wing on the right is lower than the left one. Speculation on my part if because the left sided cable entry alters the users' habbit of putting them on, cause slightly more stress on the right side.

If you're referring to that thread I started on the L3000s, keep in mind the 3000s have cables entering both sides. IMO it seems ATH uses the same slightly askew mechanism on both sides.

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
If you're referring to that thread I started on the L3000s, keep in mind the 3000s have cables entering both sides. IMO it seems ATH uses the same slightly askew mechanism on both sides.

Hi bobeau,

Thank you. L3000 is a headphone that I am keen to have a listen and maybe own in the future. I realised that and almost all the Audio Technica headphones I come across has the slight sloping of the 3D wing on the right side, and it's more prominent with the use of headphone.

Overlunge

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 42
Nice review and exceptional graphic/layout work! I have the feeling that my W1000s will not be the only AT woodies I possess. I am going to have to figure out how to sample the ayt999 collection some day to compare and contrast. Great work Overlunge. Thanks for taking the time.

In the immortal words [almost] of Henry Chinaski in Bukowski's Barfly:

"Woodies for all my friends!"
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back