Audio Technica ATH-W10VTG Review & Pics
Sep 12, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #16 of 42
If I ever sold off my headphone collection, the W10VTG is the one (along with the Sensaphonics) that I'd keep. Only about half of that is sentimental value. The other half is that, as flawed as they are, they sound damn good. I still often prefer them over the K 1000 or PS-1.

Best regards,

-Jason

Sep 12, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Nice review and exceptional graphic/layout work! I have the feeling that my W1000s will not be the only AT woodies I possess. I am going to have to figure out how to sample the ayt999 collection some day to compare and contrast. Great work Overlunge. Thanks for taking the time.

In the immortal words [almost] of Henry Chinaski in Bukowski's Barfly:

"Woodies for all my friends!"
blink.gif

lol... Surely there are enough woodie love to be shared around. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
If I ever sold off my headphone collection, the W10VTG is the one (along with the Sensaphonics) that I'd keep. Only about half of that is sentimental value. The other half is that, as flawed as they are, they sound damn good. I still often prefer them over the K 1000 or PS-1.

Best regards,

-Jason

Can't agree with you more... I am very sad to see them go, but W2002 was harder to get my grubby hands on. Nevermind, I am still keeping my eyes peeled for a pair in the future. I am hesistant to call the W10VTG flawed, they are unique in its own way just like many headphones. Mind you this headphone goes back for almost 10 years.

Overlunge

Sep 12, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #18 of 42
Excellent review! Thanks Scott!

"This one" W10VTG was originally placed in taiwan and later be sold Scott.
biggrin.gif

I did lucky tried this one W10VTG and compared it with AD1000.

They sounded almost the same , this was my first impression.

However the better bass and more smooth and gentle sound pawned the AD1000 down ,
I couldnt imagine AT's new HP is worse than the cheaper older W10VTG.
confused.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by oScARSr
Excellent review! Thanks Scott!

"This one" W10VTG was originally placed in taiwan and later be sold Scott.
biggrin.gif

I did lucky tried this one W10VTG and compared it with AD1000.

They sounded almost the same , this was my first impression.

However the better bass and more smooth and gentle sound pawned the AD1000 down ,
I couldnt imagine AT's new HP is worse than the cheaper older W10VTG.
confused.gif

Hi oScARSr,

Thank you. I am not surprised (like I said to you before) the VTG trumps AD1000 in certain areas due to it's closed design, but I can only speculate about that, since I have yet to audition an AD1000.

By the way, you should take a few photos of your HA-20 (you haven't sold it right?) and put it with your review in a separate thread. Just my suggestion... :p

Overlunge

Sep 12, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi oScARSr,

Thank you. I am not surprised (like I said to you before) the VTG trumps AD1000 in certain areas due to it's closed design, but I can only speculate about that, since I have yet to audition an AD1000.

By the way, you should take a few photos of your HA-20 (you haven't sold it right?) and put it with your review in a separate thread. Just my suggestion... :p

Overlunge

okay,

but my digital camera is quite an old guy (4 or 5 years old? ) and the flash light is broken...

The photoes would be ugly i think.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #21 of 42
I probably get to hear the W10VTG within 2 weeks. I hope it sounds as good as the W2002. I will report back.

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #22 of 42
According to headphonereviews.org, in a review of the L3000, one person said the W10VTG had honky mids. Although they meant it as an insult, I was really happy to hear that, since I own the ES7 and that's one of the things I LOVE about it. I think that the W10VTG would be a good full-sized version of the ES7. However, I am a little dismayed by the review on this page, due to its description of the midrange as congested and the review of the W10 with the song Feel Good Inc. Is there an amp that could make the highs more sparkly, the bass faster(so it would make a song like Feel Good Inc. sound " thumpy"), and make the midrange slightly more aggressive and less congested and increase PRAT? I know synergy is very important so I hope someone can help me out.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
naim headline 2 will do that for you. used one with the vtg a year ago. the mids are the best part of the vtg.

Thanks, dude! I really appreciate it. Can you provide me with a website to the brand's(naim) website? I cannot seem to find it online.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #25 of 42
I loooove these headphones, because imo they sound good from anything. All the other mid-high end phones I've owned have some synergy issues. What's your price range, Nuge? I think I'd personally go for a Dynalo like the Gilmore Lite, and call it a day.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #26 of 42
my price range? I'd say about 400-600 for an amp, and about the same price for a separate dac. However, if there was an amp/dac combo that cost 400-600 dollars and could create the sound signature I want out of the W10VTG(see my above post to see what I want to accomplish--I basically want to turn the W10 into a full-sized ES7
regular_smile .gif
), that would be even better(certainly from a cost stand point). I also need to use this stuff with a laptop/computer, since that is where I do all my music listening.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #27 of 42
Sorry, I have no idea what an ES7 sounds like. I'm almost tempted to say the VTGs benefit more from source upgrades than amp upgrades; it's pretty forgiving of weak amps. Normally at your price range, I'd just say get a Pico DAC and Gilmore Lite, and I don't see any reason not to recommend them in this instance, either. Some people feel that the G Lites are a bit trebly, which is what I assume you're going for. I personally don't think they're any more trebly than neutral, though, so YMMV.

Have you heard the VTGs for yourself, yet? Speculating based on other people's reviews is fairly useless, unless you understand the reviewer pretty well.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #28 of 42
My friend whose taste is extremely similar to mine basically said the exact same things about the W10VTG that are in this review. He said that the W10VTG sounded like a ES7 that is smoother in the highs and mids, and less bass impactful. I'm trying to increase PrAT, bass impact, make the vocals SLIGHTLY aggressive, and make the highs sparkly. How does the W10VTG sound with the gilmore lite? Does it sound good with rock music/electronica music?

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #29 of 42
My W10VTG sounds great with my B22 SS amp. I'm assuming the gilmore has similar sound signature as my B22. Bass is pretty tight, impact is just very average and there's some brightness. The vocals are more forward than my W11JPN but not as forward as my ESW10. I think the W10VTG is a pretty good all-rounder. Sounds good, actually I would say it sounds great with everything but doesn't excel in anything except vocals. It sounds alright with rock but coming from a grado RS1, I prefer to listen to rock with my grado RS1.

The W10VTG is a very special headphone in the AT headphone line along with the W11JPN and L3000. They're all very musical and for the performance the W10VTG offers, I think it's well worth the price of admission.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My W10VTG sounds great with my B22 SS amp. I'm assuming the gilmore has similar sound signature as my B22. Bass is pretty tight, impact is just very average and there's some brightness. The vocals are more forward than my W11JPN but not as forward as my ESW10. I think the W10VTG is a pretty good all-rounder. Sounds good, actually I would say it sounds great with everything but doesn't excel in anything except vocals. It sounds alright with rock but coming from a grado RS1, I prefer to listen to rock with my grado RS1.

The W10VTG is a very special headphone in the AT headphone line along with the W11JPN and L3000. They're all very musical and for the performance the W10VTG offers, I think it's well worth the price of admission.

How are the highs on the W10? I'm not into smooth highs, so that would be a negative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back