Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Dec 20, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #2,251 of 2,666
I've been experimenting with these using stock pads and Dekoni Fenestrated leather pads. It's surprising how much even more open / wide these sound with the pad swap. I can't put my finder on it yet, there's something shifted in the tonality with the pad swap - I'm not enjoying the musicality of them as much. But the extra width is fun to play with.

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2,253 of 2,666
These are like modern HD600s, only possibly slightly more neutral. Consequently, OTLs are the way to go!

Plus, these are the most comfortable cans I have ever worn…

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #2,254 of 2,666
9DF6F212-0BC9-4754-80C7-C298A6C80D21.jpeg

Much better than a kick in the nuts!

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #2,255 of 2,666
I tried driving these last night using a Sanyo Monster Receiver from the 1970s. A Sanyo JCX 2900K, a dual Mono receiver rated at 140 Watts Per channel. I was told that the headphone jacks are great for headphones over 300 Ohms. I gave it a shot and those headphones will remain plugged into that amp/receiver. Everything improved, especially the dynamics. Besides, that receiver has a built in parametric eq, and a separate bass knob, treble knob, and a midrange knob.

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #2,256 of 2,666
I was not impressed with them aside from imaging when I first listened to them (No big bass slam, mediocre soundstage, no thick buttery vocals, even felt like details are the same as XM3 ) But as I kept listening to them, I came to love the overall presentation. Every fkin music I Throw to them makes my head BOPS with ZERO fatigue.Tried HD 600 and 650 but they are good at making certain music WOW but every genres? NO whereas R70x makes every music enjoyable. The only problem I have with is instruments separation. It's hard to discern even with acoustic covers. In conclusion, R70x is one of the best all rounder headphone under 500$ imho. It does nothing wrong and nothing standout.

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #2,257 of 2,666
I was not impressed with them aside from imaging when I first listened to them (No big bass slam, mediocre soundstage, no thick buttery vocals, even felt like details are the same as XM3 ) But as I kept listening to them, I came to love the overall presentation. Every fkin music I Throw to them makes my head BOPS with ZERO fatigue.Tried HD 600 and 650 but they are good at making certain music WOW but every genres? NO whereas R70x makes every music enjoyable. The only problem I have with is instruments separation. It's hard to discern even with acoustic covers. In conclusion, R70x is one of the best all rounder headphone under 500$ imho. It does nothing wrong and nothing standout.
Oh yeah I have been using a canare OFC cable for so long that I forgot that the og cable is detrimental to the instrument saperation, layering and treble extension. That being said according to some folks here Silver is the way to go. Either way if you plan on keeping the r70x investing in a aftermarket custom cable helps alot. The only thing it cant help is improve the detail resolution. Its still going to be about the same with regards to fine detail.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #2,259 of 2,666
I am considering buying the ATH-R70X, but the high impedance and power demands concern me for portable use. My desktop Oppo HA-1 certainly has enough power, with a balanced rated output of 800mW at 600ohms, and a max of 2400mW at 600ohms.

I would love to know anyone has insights into whether my two portable sources have enough power running balanced output; I am afraid they don't. The Sony WM1A balanced output is rated for 16ohms at 250mW/ch, and the Lotoo S2 balanced output is rated for 32ohms at 150mW/ch. Neither has rated output figures for the high impedance of the ATH-R70X. These are fine for IEMs and my ATH-WP900, but I am guessing they don't have nearly enough juice for the R70X.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #2,260 of 2,666
Oh yeah I have been using a canare OFC cable for so long that I forgot that the og cable is detrimental to the instrument saperation, layering and treble extension. That being said according to some folks here Silver is the way to go. Either way if you plan on keeping the r70x investing in a aftermarket custom cable helps alot. The only thing it cant help is improve the detail resolution. Its still going to be about the same with regards to fine detail.
Recommendations on a good cable?

Feb 6, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #2,264 of 2,666
Replacement earpads will set you back about 65 USD in Germany a pair, a cable about the same, from Audio Technica, plus shipping. The price for the cable is a joke, and the choice of 2.5mm special plugs is just BS. Nobody will ever unplug these in a studio/work environment, hence this advantage to plug the cables in either phone is not existing to me.

I own the headphones for a while now, use them with RME ADI-2 DAC FS plus silver-braided cables, and with a Hidizs DH80s. They lack detail, which is evident when you listen to classical music, and compare them to planars. For 3 times the price it‘s the difference between „listen to the recording“ and „like being physically in the audience“. I am just mentioning it…

i will keep them anyway, they complete my other headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #2,265 of 2,666
I had Forza Audioworks make me a Hybrid Series cable. It’s incredibly light, has zero microphony and really opens up the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back