Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Nov 30, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #2,221 of 2,669
I've been thinking more about closed backs lately. The R70x and Auteur both have a similar overall tuning. While the VC is a great closed back, it doesn't have the same natural tuning as the other two. In your opinion/experience, what closed back has a tuning most similar to the R70x? Price is not the main concern.

I could really use some help with this one. I have gone through the FR graphs over at Crinacle's, but I have a hard time finding what I am looking for. I am looking for something that has a linear or gentle rise in the bass, follows the harman target closely between 1-4kHz and has no nasty treble spikes.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,222 of 2,669
This is a most difficult venture - actually finding a closedback headphone with a natural/neutral presentation. The thing is, if you’re looking for such a thing you’ll want to focus on headphones with small cups and drivers close to your ears. That is also how you conjure up a neutral experience over openbacks. Just ask the R70X, the LCD-5, the HD600 as well as the Focals.
Which sort of leaves you with studio closedbacks like the HD280, K371, M50X as well as the two KRK models KNS6400 and KNS8400. I personally prefer the warmer KNS8400 of the two.
Only “expensive” or slightly more luxurious closedback I’ve come across with a linear presentation, is the SRH1540…which does come with a big wollop of bass…but the rest of the presentation is spot on.
I have spent the last 5 years trying out closedbacks in order to find the closedback HD600…and the closest I ever got was with the K371 and the above mentioned. I did try my hand with a number of DCAs and Focals but they did not sound anywhere near as natural as the cheapskate AKG.
Personally I would love to own something with the design of the DCA Aeon..but with a tuning like the K371..but it doesn’t exist and I choose sound quality over looks every time.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #2,223 of 2,669
Sennheiser HD250 Linear (Mk 1, 300 Ohm)?

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #2,224 of 2,669
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #2,225 of 2,669
Sennheiser HD250 Linear (Mk 1, 300 Ohm)?
This is a most difficult venture - actually finding a closedback headphone with a natural/neutral presentation. The thing is, if you’re looking for such a thing you’ll want to focus on headphones with small cups and drivers close to your ears. That is also how you conjure up a neutral experience over openbacks. Just ask the R70X, the LCD-5, the HD600 as well as the Focals.
Which sort of leaves you with studio closedbacks like the HD280, K371, M50X as well as the two KRK models KNS6400 and KNS8400. I personally prefer the warmer KNS8400 of the two.
Only “expensive” or slightly more luxurious closedback I’ve come across with a linear presentation, is the SRH1540…which does come with a big wollop of bass…but the rest of the presentation is spot on.
I have spent the last 5 years trying out closedbacks in order to find the closedback HD600…and the closest I ever got was with the K371 and the above mentioned. I did try my hand with a number of DCAs and Focals but they did not sound anywhere near as natural as the cheapskate AKG.
Personally I would love to own something with the design of the DCA Aeon..but with a tuning like the K371..but it doesn’t exist and I choose sound quality over looks every time.
Thanks for your replies guys, they are appreciated. I think you hit the nail on the head @Kammerat Rebekka , there doesn't seem to be "closed back HD600". I did have the K371 and I agree that it is tuned quite well. The SRH1540 was the one that caught my attention when I was going over the graphs, it does seem to follow my preference nicely from 300Hz and up, especially in the tricky 1-4kHz region.

I have compensated the dips in the VC's FR with the onboard EQ on the RME and it does improve things substantially. But it would be nice to find a closed back that comes closer to the target from the start. I will see if I can find a SRH1540 to try.

Cheers!

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #2,226 of 2,669
I've been thinking more about closed backs lately. The R70x and Auteur both have a similar overall tuning. While the VC is a great closed back, it doesn't have the same natural tuning as the other two. In your opinion/experience, what closed back has a tuning most similar to the R70x? Price is not the main concern.

I could really use some help with this one. I have gone through the FR graphs over at Crinacle's, but I have a hard time finding what I am looking for. I am looking for something that has a linear or gentle rise in the bass, follows the harman target closely between 1-4kHz and has no nasty treble spikes.
Excellent question and one that I've struggled with personally.

I've had the R70X for over 2 years now and I've always liked its tuning. Last year I was looking for a closed back that had a similar tuning but couldn't find anything that would match the R70X's signature. Tried quite a few brands but there was nothing that didn't bring it's own compromises. The biggest one being the soundstage and bass control. Anyway, I was thinking of finally settling down with the Elegia from Focal because I liked it. One day I was in a studio with a friend who was using the Neumann NDH20 for work. I listened to it and asked him to lend me his pair and he did. LSS; I bought myself a pair the very next day.

The NDH20 is a seriously underrated headphone. Many berate it but I think maybe it's the odd circular cups that doesn't seal well with large ears. Anyway, if you've got a normal sized head and pinna, give these a listen. The Elegias sounded like a cheapo pair in comparison.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #2,227 of 2,669
The NDH20 is a lovely sounding closedback, very much agreed. I’ve got a friend who owns one, and I always sneak in a listen whenever I visit him. It sort of sounds like a closedback planar. It has the same classic uppermids drop-off that most planars exhibit, somewhat similar to the Verité closed.
1638288749281.jpeg

Btw I just remembered three other options. If you can find a Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and set the bass sliders to the smallest hole available, you actually get fairly close to a (slightly bass boosted) HD600/R70X. It’s additionally a Beyer that behaves itself very well in the treble👍
Beyer does actually sell perhaps the finest candidate for a true neutral closedback…but it sadly comes with an imbalance straight from the factory. Still…if you don’t mind a quick mod in order to seal the cable connection properly, the DT250 is your can.
Lastly and sadly also out of production we have the Nad Viso HP50…which is sort of like a combination of the SRH1540 and the KNS8400. Neutral mids and treble…with a big and voluptious bass.

Edith: Yep also the DT150. Put on a pair of DT100 velour pads and you get even closer to a neutral response👍

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #2,228 of 2,669
…and then there’s the DT150!

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,230 of 2,669
And if you are prepared to make compromises at the frequency extremes, nothing out there does midrange like a DT48!

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #2,231 of 2,669
I have the R70x and both the Shure 1540 and the AKG K371. The K371 didn't get any use since I got the other two, but recently I spent a week with it and I'm honestly surprised at how much I like it still. It's very comfortable on my head, I don't get listening fatigue from it, everything sounds just right - it follows Harman to the letter, and I often forget that I'm wearing it. Of course, it's not a high end detail monster and it doesn't have the bass control of the 1540, but overall it's a really decent headphone that does nothing wrong. Just like the R70x... Might be your thing!

(The 1540 is a different story, it's more analytical and fast, and not as sweet, warm or balanced sounding as the R70x.)

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #2,233 of 2,669
What about Audio-Technica M70x? Are there any similarities with R70x in terms of sound, or the only similarity is in the name :)?
The only similarity is in the name, the M70X is pretty linier sounding and not warm natural like R70X. The closest to R70X tuning in AT lineup would be the orginal MSR7 with yaxi pads but discontinued so eh, not sure how the MSR7B will fair since its significantly brighter in the lower treble.

Nov 30, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #2,234 of 2,669
The only similarity is in the name, the M70X is pretty linier sounding and not warm natural like R70X. The closest to R70X tuning in AT lineup would be the orginal MSR7 with yaxi pads but discontinued so eh, not sure how the MSR7B will fair since its significantly brighter in the lower treble.
The MSR7b was too bright in the lower treble and seemed to get oddly peaky in a metallic unnatural way under certain tracks, etc., it’s why I got rid of it. Yaxi pads helped a little but the treble was still an issue, may need to search for the original MSR7 and use my yaxi’s on it. Replaced the MSR7b with the warm and dark A990Z (darker and warmer than the R70X with a bit of an U shape response). The R70X and the A990Z are the warmest and least bright AT’s I’ve heard, everything else I heard was on the brighter side.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #2,235 of 2,669
I find the W1000z very enjoyable. Much clearer treble than my old A900X. I find they complement the R70x well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back