Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Dec 1, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #2,236 of 2,669
The NDH20 is a lovely sounding closedback, very much agreed. I’ve got a friend who owns one, and I always sneak in a listen whenever I visit him. It sort of sounds like a closedback planar. It has the same classic uppermids drop-off that most planars exhibit, somewhat similar to the Verité closed.

Btw I just remembered three other options. If you can find a Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and set the bass sliders to the smallest hole available, you actually get fairly close to a (slightly bass boosted) HD600/R70X. It’s additionally a Beyer that behaves itself very well in the treble👍
Beyer does actually sell perhaps the finest candidate for a true neutral closedback…but it sadly comes with an imbalance straight from the factory. Still…if you don’t mind a quick mod in order to seal the cable connection properly, the DT250 is your can.
Lastly and sadly also out of production we have the Nad Viso HP50…which is sort of like a combination of the SRH1540 and the KNS8400. Neutral mids and treble…with a big and voluptious bass.

Edith: Yep also the DT150. Put on a pair of DT100 velour pads and you get even closer to a neutral response👍
The FR graphs for the NDH20 are really interesting. One would expect these to have some sort of scooping in the mids but actually these sound near neutral to me. I tried mixing with them and frankly I came away even more impressed.
However in all fairness, my studio tech didn't like these and found them to be a tad warm (btw he says the same about the R70X so in a way I find my observations to be valid in comparison). I surmise its the fit of the pads that is spoiling the game here. I can definitely hear more bass and mids if I position them right and press them in slightly.

Another observation, as far as my ears go; I think the NDH20 has the same driver as the HD660S (for good or worse) but the Neumann shines where the 660S lacks and thats the mids and bass. Especially bass. Taught, large and clean. It might not extend as low as the R70X but it offers better resolution and detail (being the closed back that it is).
Anyway, as a package I found the neumann to be well worth the price. Solid build and good quality components. This pair looks like it would service my adult life and then some.

I don't think I can recommend another closed back below 1k USD.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #2,237 of 2,669
IIRC, Neumann are part of Sennheiser’s Professional division (the part that hasn’t been sold off).

Maybe there will be a range of audiophile Neumann cans in the future? HD800 derivative?

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #2,238 of 2,669
IIRC, Neumann are part of Sennheiser’s Professional division (the part that hasn’t been sold off).
I think Neumann is a seperate entity under the sennheiser business (which hasn't been sold off to sonova).

Maybe there will be a range of audiophile Neumann cans in the future? HD800 derivative?
Oh please yes🙏🏼
I certainly hope so. Neumamm makes quality stuff. A neumann 800S would be dope. Take my money already😅

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #2,239 of 2,669
Like Sennheiser, only better! 😀

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #2,240 of 2,669

Sennheiser's consumer and professional divisions are still connected to one another, they're just not in direct strategic control of the consumer division any more.

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #2,241 of 2,669
I just had this idea!

Has anyone tried to convert the R70x into a closed back?

boom-mind-blown.gif

Mind blowing, I know.

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2,242 of 2,669
Why? AT make some of the best closed backs…

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #2,244 of 2,669
If you close them up, the signature will be lost. The whole point of them is that they are extremely open.

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2,245 of 2,669
If you close them up, the signature will be lost. The whole point of them is that they are extremely open.
Yes, I agree that it would probably be hard to close them up and retain the same sound signature. Closed backs come with their own set of problems.

The point I am getting at is that I would very much like to find a closed back with a similar tuning, but so far I have drawn a blank.

The best solution I have found has been to EQ up the dips in the VC, that really helped in getting them closer to a R70x like tuning.

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #2,246 of 2,669
And if you are prepared to make compromises at the frequency extremes, nothing out there does midrange like a DT48!
Yep, I haven't heard another headphone do midrange like the DT 48 and it's sibling the DT 480; the purity, intelligibility, and the organic presence of the midrange is unlike anything I have heard. They're headphones that even when coming from flagships, you're like "Oh that's what they are saying." or "That's what that sound is."

I find the W1000z very enjoyable. Much clearer treble than my old A900X. I find they complement the R70x well.
I haven't really had the chance to any of the AT woodies longer than a few minutes, been wanting to hear one at length.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #2,247 of 2,669
I heard the R70x was designed to be a gaming headphone, that turned out to be a really good music headphone. Is there any truth to this?

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #2,248 of 2,669
I heard the R70x was designed to be a gaming headphone, that turned out to be a really good music headphone. Is there any truth to this?
Nope it was designed first and formost to be a mixing and mastering headphone that happened to have good linier imaging which is why gamers gravitated to it.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #2,250 of 2,669
Just wanted to say that after a few months with the R70x its obvious that they far exceed their retail value for the sound they produce.
I love my Focal Clears and they are more technically capable and retrieve more detail, but I still listen to these more....there is something just so musical and special about these headphones and the way they present music, it's just so unfatiguing and they seem to scale like crazy the more power you feed them, I'm keen to try them on a higher end dac to see if there is further improvement.
If anyone is on the fence about getting these, don't hesitate, they are worth the blind...the 210g weight is the cherry on top.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back