Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Oct 2, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,411 of 2,669
Has anyone tried the R70x with the new Asgard (3)?

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #1,413 of 2,669
I can confirm that it makes no difference which cable is plugged into which cup. The left cup is always left and vice versa.
It was already confirmed before, dude, that was my mistake, and I was confused by the recording, as it sounded like the hats are actually heard in the opposite ear due to busy mix - that's quite common in busy overcrowded metal mixes. As soon as I heard something straightforward, I realised this and was perplexed for a minute, but then it dawned on me what is happening :)

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #1,415 of 2,669
hi guys, i just bought my r70x.
and now im planning to find an amp or amp/dac.

1.The candidate is topping a30(capable up to 600ohm headphone, but only amp) and topping mx3 (capable only up to 300 ohm, amp+dac+bluetooth 4.0). which is better? my source is only acer nitro 5 and sony xperia xz premium.

2.Are higher output amp "really" give benefits/ a must for this cans? 600ohm vs 300ohm is far enough, and the r70x is 470 ohm.

3.i've already tried cmoy amp by jds labs (source is sony xz premium), and i think thats amp not giving enough power for this cans, it feels like somethin is holding the sound. BUT when i plug it directly to my acer nitro 5, it sounds way better than the cmoy (without amp).

4.or, just a simply portable amp+dac such as fiio q1 MK2 can drive this cans perfectly? any portable/desktop amp+dac recomendation for around $100?

thanks, and sorry for my bad english :)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,417 of 2,669

1.The candidate is topping a30(capable up to 600ohm headphone, but only amp) and topping mx3 (capable only up to 300 ohm, amp+dac+bluetooth 4.0). which is better? my source is only acer nitro 5 and sony xperia xz premium.

2.Are higher output amp "really" give benefits/ a must for this cans? 600ohm vs 300ohm is far enough, and the r70x is 470 ohm.

3.i've already tried cmoy amp by jds labs (source is sony xz premium), and i think thats amp not giving enough power for this cans, it feels like somethin is holding the sound. BUT when i plug it directly to my acer nitro 5, it sounds way better than the cmoy (without amp).

4.or, just a simply portable amp+dac such as fiio q1 MK2 can drive this cans perfectly? any portable/desktop amp+dac recomendation for around $100?

Hi,

Wondering what you're using for source material - FLAC, ALAC, or other lossless files?
Tidal & similar downloads?
320K files, or something else?

It would be useful to know this info in order to recommend some amps to you -
BTW do you prefer a portable to a desktop, or vice-versa, or does it not matter?

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,418 of 2,669

Topping A30 is ok, but you should avoid the Mx3.

Nothing is a must. You can drive these cans with a phone if you like.

What works or not is really up to you.

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #1,419 of 2,669
Hi,

Wondering what you're using for source material - FLAC, ALAC, or other lossless files?
Tidal & similar downloads?
320K files, or something else?

It would be useful to know this info in order to recommend some amps to you -
BTW do you prefer a portable to a desktop, or vice-versa, or does it not matter?
im using 24bit flac.
anything around $100 is ok, no matter if its portable or desktop :)

Topping A30 is ok, but you should avoid the Mx3.

Nothing is a must. You can drive these cans with a phone if you like.

What works or not is really up to you.

why i should avoid mx3? cz it only limited power for max 300ohm headphone?
yea, but with my phone only, the sounds are very bad, loud enough but lack of power in all bass mid and treble (unpleasant for enjoying music). any req dac+amp for $100? :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #1,422 of 2,669
ahh luckily i found your reply before im buying it, thanks dude :)

any recomendation for $100 amp+dac that can drive this headphone perfectly? portable/desktop is no problem :)

JDS Labs Atom is a great amp. No dac included though, sorry. Hopefully you can find what you need at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php

I sometimes drive my r70x with an LG V20 phone. It sounds wonderful, streaming Tidal. You can buy a refurbished one on aliexpress for less than $100 USD. I like it so much that I bought 2. I recommend the H910 version, it has an FM radio that you can use offline. As far as I am aware it is the best sounding phone ever made by anyone.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808312020.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dAN3gPG

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #1,423 of 2,669
I agree with

Hooster ,

just above. The JDS Labs Atom is a very good amp for $99.00.
Plenty of power, specs are excellent and so is the sound.
As mentioned, there is no DAC. But I don't know of any
amp/doc combo at this price point.

Also, from the time of its release, I've been a fan of the
O2 amp. The JDS Labs and Mayflower Electronics use
the same circuitry and the build quality is very similar.

I don't hesitate for a second to recommend the O2, despite
the various objections that float around on the
interwebs It sounds really good, has plenty of punch and
power, and remains very reliable.

The Atom runs on AC; the O2 runs on two 9 volt batteries
(many use rechargeable batteries for convenience), and/or

on AC.

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #1,424 of 2,669
I agree with

Hooster ,

just above. The JDS Labs Atom is a very good amp for $99.00.
Plenty of power, specs are excellent and so is the sound.
As mentioned, there is no DAC. But I don't know of any
amp/doc combo at this price point.

Also, from the time of its release, I've been a fan of the
O2 amp. The JDS Labs and Mayflower Electronics use
the same circuitry and the build quality is very similar.

I don't hesitate for a second to recommend the O2, despite
the various objections that float around on the
interwebs It sounds really good, has plenty of punch and
power, and remains very reliable.

The Atom runs on AC; the O2 runs on two 9 volt batteries
(many use rechargeable batteries for convenience), and/or

on AC.
tq for ur recomendation buddy :)
sadly, that jds , 02 or even magni 2 cost about $200 in my country, lol

btw my last question, is this cans need that powerfull amp? is the "capable until 300 ohm headphone" on amp spec is enough/far than enough? or i should go for up to 600ohm amp power? :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #1,425 of 2,669
tq for ur recomendation buddy :)
sadly, that jds , 02 or even magni 2 cost about $200 in my country, lol

btw my last question, is this cans need that powerfull amp? is the "capable until 300 ohm headphone" on amp spec is enough/far than enough? or i should go for up to 600ohm amp power? :)

Don't be so worried about the amp power. You don't need much to drive the r70x. Just try to get the best amp you can. Like I said, the LG V20 is plenty to drive the r70x and it is just a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back