Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Oct 19, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,428 of 2,669
Anyone know where to purchase the 2.5mm connectors that plug into the headphones? Want to make my own replacement cables.
I'm waiting for these
2-5MM-Headphone-Adapter-Jack-Plug-Pin-for-Sennheiser-K450-hd598-hd518-on-ear-Headphones-High.jpg_640x640.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000106993287.html
Color: For hd598

Oct 19, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,429 of 2,669
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,430 of 2,669
hi guys, i just bought my r70x.
and now im planning to find an amp or amp/dac.

1.The candidate is topping a30(capable up to 600ohm headphone, but only amp) and topping mx3 (capable only up to 300 ohm, amp+dac+bluetooth 4.0). which is better? my source is only acer nitro 5 and sony xperia xz premium.

2.Are higher output amp "really" give benefits/ a must for this cans? 600ohm vs 300ohm is far enough, and the r70x is 470 ohm.

3.i've already tried cmoy amp by jds labs (source is sony xz premium), and i think thats amp not giving enough power for this cans, it feels like somethin is holding the sound. BUT when i plug it directly to my acer nitro 5, it sounds way better than the cmoy (without amp).

4.or, just a simply portable amp+dac such as fiio q1 MK2 can drive this cans perfectly? any portable/desktop amp+dac recomendation for around $100?

thanks, and sorry for my bad english :)

i like the r 70x paired with the Valhalla 2 from schiit

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #1,431 of 2,669
Great cans, I've been using this very much over the last 2 months, while it doesn't touch the technical ability of my higher end cans, it has the advantage of being incredibly light and a FR that is almost exactly neutral for me without messing with eq like I do with the HD 800. Should be in the discussion along with the dt880, q701 and hd600/650 as best among mid fi.
So basically, it's got the correct tonality, but not the resolution?

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,436 of 2,669
Sorry to see you got those. They are very poor and may not work at all.
Oh, I actually did my research. ;]
I can neither hear, or see a problem with them:
IMG_20191021_165256.jpg
IMG_20191021_175253.jpg
IMG_20191021_175602.jpg

It's not entirely obvious to me what you paid the extra 14€ for.

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,437 of 2,669
Oh, I actually did my research. ;]
I can neither hear, or see a problem with them:
It's not entirely obvious to me what you paid the extra 14€ for.

No, looks fine, good job. The reason I was skeptical about them is that a friend from China gave me 2 cables with connectors that look similar to those and they did not fit the R70X. Yours clearly do.

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #1,439 of 2,669
I just got these today. I typically use DT 880's and recently, the Fidelio X2's. I have many headphones, but these are my daily drivers so to speak.

Build quality wise they are acceptable but nothing great, a little flimsy, but extraordinarily light. In terms of comfort, they are above average, but can't hold a torch to the 880s and certainly not the X2's. Still, no discomfort and a reasonable clamp force.

Now to sound. Where do I begin.....

Bass

The bass is quite a surprise. Certainly digs a lot deeper than the aforementioned cans, but I honestly find it a little boomy at times. I would swear there's a bump around the 80-100hz range. I mean, these have WAY more bass than people let on to. This is running through a Topping D50 and JDS Atom.

Mids

In my opinion, this is where these shine. Undoubtedly the most neutral and natural midrange I have ever heard. Vocals are silky smooth with a lovely tamber. The 1khz range on these is just blissful. No complaints here.

Treble

This is where they slightly disappoint. Now I know these are going for neutrality, but I can't help feeling the treble on these is a little anemic and unrefined. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely for eliminating sibilance and don't suffer from the same fatiguing peaks like the 880's, but currently, I would like a little more treble. Possibly around the 12-16khz range to add a little sheen or sparkle. On some tracks, these are getting very close to dull territory.

Conclusions

Imaging is fantastic in my opinion, and soundstage above average, but seems a little thin compared to the X2's. Then again, those are exaggerated soundstage anyway.

I sort of feel very polarized by these. On the one hand, they have a wonderful tonality, and on the other, they can be a little boomy at the low end and dull at the top end for my tastes. Now you should be bearing in mind that I am very used to my two daily drivers, and as such, you have to factor in that I am not used to the sound of the ATH-R70x. As with all audio gear, it can be disappointing to start with until you are accustomed to it.

After switching back to my X2's, I was astonished at how bright they were in comparison to these. So perhaps I am simply used to overhyped headphones. But then, the X2's are certainly more pleasing and dynamic to my ears. I shall prevail with these for a couple of weeks and see if my opinion changes.

At the moment, these remind me of when I tried Sennheiser 599s, very good tone, but incredibly boring.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #1,440 of 2,669
Matty, sorry, a bit off topic, and I completely agree with you regarding ATH-R70X needing a bit of a kick (a good one) in the sparkle department. This is the only disappointment with this headphone for me. As for the off-topic bit, I used to own all of these, some of them at the same time, and all of Philipses I owned (including the X2) seem to have something weird going on in the upper mids, where instruments like pianos reside. To my ears there is a huge cut in that band of frequencies, as some of those instruments almost disappear compared to other heapdones. Have you noticed this on your pair? Did you try comparing them to Beyers, for example? Or to R70x? Try this track if you are curious, from 25th second onwards:
Construction, tonality, comfort wise they were brilliant for me, but the hole in upper mids drove me crazy (I mix music, and it sounded lacking and totally different to other cans or to my Dynaudio BM15 monitors).
Anyway, sorry for a slight diversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back