Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jul 24, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #1,726 of 2,803
I would like your expert opinions because im torn between gradolabs sr125 and the ath msr7. I listen mostly on vocals and prefer more midrange. ThanksVo

There is no doubt that sr125  is best choice for vocal and mids.  MSR7 is great too but mids are not as bright as grado. i can say their mids are weak to neutral. so you can hear all instruments in the background very clearly.   you can consider sr225 over sr125, as they have lots of energy on mids.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #1,727 of 2,803
Not having heard the grados (which I hear aren't so hot for bass) I can say that the MSR7's produce really really nice vocals mids yet still have great bass (that ends up surprising you - especially after you burn them in a bit). They are accurate and sensitive. Perhaps too accurate. I wouldn't say that "weak" is a fair or accurate description ... Perhaps "neutral" is fair... You're gonna hear the recording for how it was recorded with the MSR7s. There's a few songs I used to love but now don't because of some the hidden details (and imperfections) that are now exposed with the MSR7s.

You'll hear people saying the MSR7's are a little sibilant. I see what people mean, but I also realized it was the recording that was sibilant. Other recordings that had better production, better de-essing, didn't show that sibilant characteristic. Other headphones hide that better, but the MSR7s don't (good or bad is up to your preference there - but the sacrifice is at the benefit of better, more accurate, vocals).

As you'll undoubtedly read with the MSR7's, they are "near" reference quality. You just hear everything. Whether or not that ends up being a positive thing is up to personal taste. It also might mean you start going down the path I did with tube amps looking to find a good match that colors sound in ways you (and you personally) enjoy. Again because they are sensitive and "neutral" you can impart different qualities on them easily with different tubes. Whether or not you want to mess with all that is a whole other story.

I would certainly love to try some Grados, but I like having closed back headphones for work. So at the end of the day, things like that may also be a big factor on your choice. All I can say on the matter is I love vocals and mids with the MSR7s. Especially with ODAC + tube amp. I'm still in search of tubes for the bass department.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #1,728 of 2,803
There is no doubt that sr125  is best choice for vocal and mids.  MSR7 is great too but mids are not as bright as grado. i can say their mids are weak to neutral. so you can hear all instruments in the background very clearly.   you can consider sr225 over sr125, as they have lots of energy on mids.
so you mean that grados are also bright but in terms of the mids and the msr7 are bright in highs? Thanks

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #1,729 of 2,803
After having burned these in (and having stretched them a bit), I'm amazed at how the bass suddenly just
--appeared! I was really disappointed and a bit worried by how tight they were, and I totally got the uncomfortably present treble and recessed bass, but now--WOW. They're awesome!

One of my favorite tracks to listen for new, previously hidden details is "Hotel California" from _The Very Best of the Eagles_. So much there I'd never heard before.

BTW, comfort-wise, I gained a little but of distance between the drivers and the tops of my ears with a couple pieces of cotton tucked beneath the "lip" of the pads (I'd tried this around the entire diameter of the lad, but it was too much and turned out to be unnecessary).

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,730 of 2,803
so you mean that grados are also bright but in terms of the mids and the msr7 are bright in highs? Thanksyes, g

yes, sort of.. But you need to understand that they are not equal by just adjusting equalizer to boost mid or highs. Each of them have unique characteristics and sound signatures..when I audition grado, i was focused to listen vocal then highs There is weight and energy in the vocal relative to MSR7. On other hand, MSR7, highs feel clean and sharp, mids feel neutral, lows feel very deep. Listen technically could be flat or boring at times.  Note that, MSR7 is sensitive to phone,DAC and amps, it will perform better then grado by carefully choose DAC unlike grados.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,731 of 2,803
After having burned these in (and having stretched them a bit), I'm amazed at how the bass suddenly just
--appeared! I was really disappointed and a bit worried by how tight they were, and I totally got the uncomfortably present treble and recessed bass, but now--WOW. They're awesome!

One of my favorite tracks to listen for new, previously hidden details is "Hotel California" from _The Very Best of the Eagles_. So much there I'd never heard before.

BTW, comfort-wise, I gained a little but of distance between the drivers and the tops of my ears with a couple pieces of cotton tucked beneath the "lip" of the pads (I'd tried this around the entire diameter of the lad, but it was too much and turned out to be unnecessary).

+1.
As new, mine was very tight to ears and sharp and pain to listen. Now i can wear all day and listen after few months of listen and 'burn'.
can i know what do you connect MSR7 with?

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #1,732 of 2,803
yes, sort of.. But you need to understand that they are not equal by just adjusting equalizer to boost mid or highs. Each of them have unique characteristics and sound signatures..when I audition grado, i was focused to listen vocal then highs There is weight and energy in the vocal relative to MSR7. On other hand, MSR7, highs feel clean and sharp, mids feel neutral, lows feel very deep. Listen technically could be flat or boring at times.  Note that, MSR7 is sensitive to phone,DAC and amps, it will perform better then grado by carefully choose DAC unlike grados.
I will play them with cowon plenue that is slightly dark so i hope it will be a good match with the highs of msr7

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #1,733 of 2,803
Anyone has heard of this yet?
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/70fcffbb14c297c5/index.html

MSR7 is one of the most musical closed cans I've ever heard, if combined with ANC it'll be a perfect traveling fullsize IMHO :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #1,734 of 2,803
Actually, I typically connect directly to my iPhone 6 or Fiio X3 (gen 2). I'm fine with no amp--it's plenty loud, and I can use the eq on the Fiio to bring out more bass (which is what I did until things suddenly seemed settled--now, even my iPhone is fine).

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #1,735 of 2,803
Actually, I typically connect directly to my iPhone 6 or Fiio X3 (gen 2). I'm fine with no amp--it's plenty loud, and I can use the eq on the Fiio to bring out more bass (which is what I did until things suddenly seemed settled--now, even my iPhone is fine).

Great. Actually FiiO sound output quality dramatically improved with their firmware in recent years. they are more detailed, clean, punchy,  and well separation between low,mid,highs.. Colourful and enjoyable to listen. I am using S6 edge and Creative E5 and new xduoo XD-05. Definitely DAC outputs are much better than my phone.  But still all are good to listen. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #1,736 of 2,803
  Not having heard the grados (which I hear aren't so hot for bass) I can say that the MSR7's produce really really nice vocals mids yet still have great bass (that ends up surprising you - especially after you burn them in a bit). They are accurate and sensitive. Perhaps too accurate. I wouldn't say that "weak" is a fair or accurate description ... Perhaps "neutral" is fair... You're gonna hear the recording for how it was recorded with the MSR7s. There's a few songs I used to love but now don't because of some the hidden details (and imperfections) that are now exposed with the MSR7s.

You'll hear people saying the MSR7's are a little sibilant. I see what people mean, but I also realized it was the recording that was sibilant. Other recordings that had better production, better de-essing, didn't show that sibilant characteristic. Other headphones hide that better, but the MSR7s don't (good or bad is up to your preference there - but the sacrifice is at the benefit of better, more accurate, vocals).

As you'll undoubtedly read with the MSR7's, they are "near" reference quality. You just hear everything. Whether or not that ends up being a positive thing is up to personal taste. It also might mean you start going down the path I did with tube amps looking to find a good match that colors sound in ways you (and you personally) enjoy. Again because they are sensitive and "neutral" you can impart different qualities on them easily with different tubes. Whether or not you want to mess with all that is a whole other story.

I would certainly love to try some Grados, but I like having closed back headphones for work. So at the end of the day, things like that may also be a big factor on your choice. All I can say on the matter is I love vocals and mids with the MSR7s. Especially with ODAC + tube amp. I'm still in search of tubes for the bass department.

Great review. I certainly concur with you on the matter of sibilance. It greatly depends on the source, which mean either the file or the amp/DAC is the cause. My MSR7 sounded really musical when combined with my cMoyBB.

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #1,739 of 2,803
I'm not sure what's wrong but sometimes I think the right side is more sibilant - I tried both velour and stock earpads in mono on different sources. I thought the driver may have been damaged and cleaned using an air blower. However, when I switch sides, I still notice it on my right ear so I thought maybe my right ear is more sensitive to sibilance, but my IEMs with similar brightness to the MSR7 don't do that...

It's noticeable on "One Year of Love" by Queen at 1:10 ("my handddd reaches out, to your hand").

Also, where can I buy stock pads? One of them has started ripping at the flange although i is not a huge rip.

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #1,740 of 2,803
Hello MSR7 lovers!

I recently purchased my MSR7 because I wanted a good closed type headphone, and I've heard about it quite a while. Any recommendation for a good DAC/AMP combo that can improve the sound quality? I've heard that this particular headphone is quite choosy. I'd prefer the ones from Fiio (easily available in my country). I've been eyeing for the Fiio Q1 for quite sometime, but cannot find the impression for the pair.

Part of the reason why I want a DAC is.....because I "accidentally" tested the Momentum Over-ear M2. The low bass really hit me a lot, and I can't find something like that in my MSR7 (slight buyers remorse here....). Hopefully I can have a combo that can provide similar experience. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back