Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jul 31, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,741 of 2,803
I'm not sure what's wrong but sometimes I think the right side is more sibilant - I tried both velour and stock earpads in mono on different sources. I thought the driver may have been damaged and cleaned using an air blower. However, when I switch sides, I still notice it on my right ear so I thought maybe my right ear is more sensitive to sibilance, but my IEMs with similar brightness to the MSR7 don't do that...

It's noticeable on "One Year of Love" by Queen at 1:10 ("my handddd reaches out, to your hand").

Also, where can I buy stock pads? One of them has started ripping at the flange although i is not a huge rip.

get the yaxi stpad. loving mine

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,743 of 2,803
get the yaxi stpad. loving mine

yeah I was considering that, but I'm not sure it would really make a difference. It might just be my hearing or how the earcups seal. Sometimes when I move it around it doesn't seem as imbalanced or the other side seems more sibilant but I can't seem to find the most ideal position...

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #1,744 of 2,803
  Hello MSR7 lovers!

I recently purchased my MSR7 because I wanted a good closed type headphone, and I've heard about it quite a while. Any recommendation for a good DAC/AMP combo that can improve the sound quality? I've heard that this particular headphone is quite choosy. I'd prefer the ones from Fiio (easily available in my country). I've been eyeing for the Fiio Q1 for quite sometime, but cannot find the impression for the pair.

Part of the reason why I want a DAC is.....because I "accidentally" tested the Momentum Over-ear M2. The low bass really hit me a lot, and I can't find something like that in my MSR7 (slight buyers remorse here....). Hopefully I can have a combo that can provide similar experience. Thanks!

No amp/dac can turn your msr7 into the M2. No matter how you tune it, the msr7's bass is not there and these 2 are quite different headphones as well. I'm not saying that the MSR7 can drive only faster music, but it's certainly much more suitable for faster music than the M2, which I greatly enjoyed for laid-back music. 

Anyway a warmer amp/dac would certainly improve it and I think you should get the JDS C5D. Quite a far stretch in comparison to what you list but it's what I use at the moment and I certainly think it can be the endgame choice for people who are not willing to spend more than $300 for a mobile amp/dac

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #1,746 of 2,803
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the widely available DAC/AMP here is usually Fiio.... I managed to find some JDS C5D, but it's too expensive and way over my budget
frown.gif
(My budget is somewhere around 100$ ish)

And yes, I've read around and they recommend DAC with warm sound. However I don't know which Fiio DAC/AMP combo that has those signatures.

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,747 of 2,803
At that price I think ibasso dzero is better, but it's still not optimal. The p/p factor is not as good as the c5d. Honestly I think with Fiio stuffs you don't get much improvement. The msr7 doesn't sound too bad connected directly to phones or laptop. If you've got $100 my best advice is to save more and buy what's truly worth it. There're plenty of choices when you get to $200-300, like xduoo xd05, o2odac or c5d.

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,749 of 2,803
MSR7 has just the right amount of Bass IMO, when compared to the even lighter M70x its no contest, its just they are more of an accurate bass with great quality, appreciated more for songs with quick bass passage

BTW, for me the bass boost knob on Fiio Q1 solve my crave for "Moar!" Bass out of these bass light headphones

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,750 of 2,803
Quick question about the HM5 earpads, to reduce the sibilance, would adding some thin cloth maybe two layers help to reduce it? And what other sonic differences change? I know mid bass becomes less but is it a big change?

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,751 of 2,803
  I'm really curious about this since I heard multiple people saying this. What other headphones are you using? I think the MSR7's have plenty of bass, but I use the HD800S at home so perhaps I don't have the same preferences.

By "there" I mean not the M2's level, not that the MSR7 lacks bass for me. It never did, even when amped with my iPhone which I've found to be a bit harsh and thin when paired with some headphones. 

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #1,752 of 2,803
I think what people may be trying to say is that the MSR7's don't go deep enough when it comes to bass. This was one of the reasons why I swapped them (as well as a comfort issue). I bought the Denon AH-MM400 instead and safe to say the bass does go deeper but if anything is more linear than the MSR7's response

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #1,753 of 2,803
I'm trying to settle on a portable DAC for my MSR7s since my phone and laptop are subpar. Looks like the JDS C5D or Cayin C5 are the way to go? Is there anything comparable in the sub $200 price range?

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,754 of 2,803
  I'm trying to settle on a portable DAC for my MSR7s since my phone and laptop are subpar. Looks like the JDS C5D or Cayin C5 are the way to go? Is there anything comparable in the sub $200 price range?

Teac ha-p50 pairs really well with the msr7.  It is a warm, full bodied sounding dac/amp, has a very black background and really brings out the low end. And since you don't need that much power for the msr7 it works great.

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #1,755 of 2,803

Go for the C5D. It leans a bit on the warmer side and can be considered the perfect companion to the MSR7. When I had the MSR7 I used it with the C5D more than with the iDSD Micro and that says a lot because as a whole I like my iDSD Micro with anything else. But the MSR7 have this special synergy with warmer sources and the C5D fits the profile perfectly (YMMV). There's also a middle-level bassboost if you like a even warmer MSR7. 

Don't get anything Cayin, the one I tried had noise interference . I think some people from head-fi have met the same problem with the Cayin C5. And in the price range, I've been disappointed with anything else from Fiio or iBasso. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back