Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Aug 12, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #1,756 of 2,803
  Teac ha-p50 pairs really well with the msr7.  It is a warm, full bodied sounding dac/amp, has a very black background and really brings out the low end. And since you don't need that much power for the msr7 it works great.

Go for the C5D. It leans a bit on the warmer side and can be considered the perfect companion to the MSR7. When I had the MSR7 I used it with the C5D more than with the iDSD Micro and that says a lot because as a whole I like my iDSD Micro with anything else. But the MSR7 have this special synergy with warmer sources and the C5D fits the profile perfectly (YMMV). There's also a middle-level bassboost if you like a even warmer MSR7. 

Don't get anything Cayin, the one I tried had noise interference . I think some people from head-fi have met the same problem with the Cayin C5. And in the price range, I've been disappointed with anything else from Fiio or iBasso. 

Thanks for the suggestions! I can't try either the ha-p50 or C5D in person, but I'm leaning towards the C5D...since JDS does engraving. Also, doesn't look like ha-p50 is Android compatible.

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #1,758 of 2,803
Which pads are not as sibilant and give a better seal? My right ear seems to be more sensitive the sibilance (or maybe it's just the pads, it's not the drivers as I swapped sides and the sibilance was still on my right ear) but when I wear them "on-ear" both sides are more balanced. I like to wear them with my upper earlobe inside the flange but that seems to be when the imbalance happens. It happens on both the stock and the SoundPro velour pads.

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #1,763 of 2,803
HM5 pads fits most headphone fine.. I have the hybrid for my M40x, and yes they fit (in my experience the MSR7 and M series pads are swappable)

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,765 of 2,803
what are the differences?
Better soundstage, cleaner, more details etc. Of the very good p/p bar set by the idac2 and idsd micro, the idsd nano was a letdown for me.

If you're not willing to go much higher than the idsd micro, buy some used odac/o2 or c5d

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #1,766 of 2,803
Is the "sibilance" more pronounced with the HM5 pads? It seems more harsh on my right ear with my Massdrop Sound Professional velours and stock pads unless I wear them in an awkward position. I think it's probably my hearing or how they're sealing on my ears. I flipped them around and it still sounds more harsh on the right. It's better if I'm using the stock pads and move them forward so that my earlobes touch the back of the pad - it sounds more balanced on both ears but the sound is a tad warmer. That might be one reason some people are describing the sound differently...

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #1,767 of 2,803
the c5d and the o2 only go up to 24/96. so my choice is between idsd nano and idac2 since the micro idsd is too expensive. but the nano has battery but the idac2 doesn't both are very good for their price. i'm just worried about how they pair with the msr7's.

edit: nevermind....even the idac2 is above my price point. i guess the nano idsd it is then

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #1,768 of 2,803
My advice is that you should really think if you need idsd or 24bit, cause it's very hard to find music in that format. And I don't think they will make a change to the msr7. It's not that "high resolution". Lastly, a DAC that doesn't sound good will still not sound good no matter what file you feed into it. If dsd and battery is a must, go for the xDuoo xd05

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #1,769 of 2,803
omg thank you soooooooooo much for another choice besides the nano idsd. it's a little more expensive but wow. it's smaller and has an even more powerful amp. thank you very much. if only i can find it in my country. also the pcm only goes up to 192khz but who cares. do you know how the sound is like?

and i sort of do need higher resolutions. my library consists of:

16/44.1
16/48
16/96
24/48
24/96
24/192
1 32/384 album (although the 32 bit is floating point)
DSD64
DSD128
DSD256
1 DSD512 song (only upsampled from DSD256 though, don't need a DSD512 DAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back