Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
May 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,516 of 2,803
DT880 Premium 250ohm. That and the Custom One Pro are the only Beyer cans I ever tried.
The 880's had outright hollow mids since there's a dip in the upper mids, and sounds outright artificial.
Whereas the COP sounds just recessed. The mids are okay in themselves but they just sound really drawn back, although that may be because of a lack of amplification should they need any.

I REALLY don't like Beyer, in case you couldn't tell. The MSR are no way near as sibiliant and shrilly as the 880.

May 1, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,517 of 2,803
  DT880 Premium 250ohm. That and the Custom One Pro are the only Beyer cans I ever tried.
The 880's had outright hollow mids since there's a dip in the upper mids, and sounds outright artificial.
Whereas the COP sounds just recessed. The mids are okay in themselves but they just sound really drawn back, although that may be because of a lack of amplification should they need any.

I REALLY don't like Beyer, in case you couldn't tell. The MSR are no way near as sibiliant and shrilly as the 880.

This really describes my feelings about the DT880. The MSR7 is one of the most musical ones I've tried.

May 2, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #1,518 of 2,803
Also, as per Tyll's advice I bended the headband as described in his review, the clamp isn't as tight, I don't know if I did the right thing since I got this headphone recently. While the clamp isn't too loose, I'd probably want it a little bit tighter. I also turned the notches down from 7 visible notches to 5 as a result, which is good as it helped a better fit. The shape of the headband is more sensible and distributed now.

May 2, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #1,519 of 2,803

I tried out Brainwavz Pleather/memory foam pads, and while they are comfy as all hell, I found it to ruin the signature. Made the MSR7 more sibilant, slightly drawn back in the mids and less bassy. Toilet paper wedged in the driver supposedly helps. Would recommend you keep stock pads unless you have larger ears.

I meant increasing the headband padding so it would protect the headband material form wearing out, basically something like this:

I'm just not sure which would fit the MSR7.

As for earpads, I have SoundProfessional earpads and it is a tradeoff between bass and soundstage. These don't cut much bass on the M50 but on the MSR7 they take out a considerable amount of sub-bass. The mid-bass is still there though, and the midrange is more emphasized. It sounded harsh at first as I had to turn up the volume more, but wow, the soundstage was far more expansive. I just wish it still had the sub-bass but I'd want velour for the summer.

I'd rather the headphone clamp a bit tighter otherwise I get irritated by the hinges creaking when I move my head around. It's even worse on my M50x where the hinge is probably worn out inside, and it goes "glug-glug-glug" even when I'm not moving around and there's far less clamping.

May 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #1,520 of 2,803
Just thought I'd share my initial impressions with these sweet headphones.

I bought mine from Focus Camera when they had the refurbished sale.  They showed up with a defective left driver.  Focus wouldn't send another pair right away, so I would have to gamble that one would be available once my defective pair showed up at Focus.  I decided to have AT fix them under warranty which was painless.  It just cost me shipping to AT, return shipping was free.  AT was great to deal with and turnaround was about a week.  And thanks to whoever posted the deal, I forget who it was.

When I was finally able to listen to them for more than 5 minutes I found the clamping force waaay to strong.  These are made for a small head.  I have a big head like Tyll.  So I bent the headband out a few times to the point that I could wear them for a few hours without any discomfort.  They're very comfy now!

Another issue I had was terrible creaking coming from the joints.  It was unbearable, every time I moved or opened my mouth the joints would creak, and it was so loud.  I finally gave in and took them apart to grease all the joints.  I feel alot of headphone manufacturers skip this important step.  My Sony MDR1R's were the same, totally unbearable until I took them apart and greased them.

So finally I could sit down and listen to them without any discomfort or creaking, and they blew me away!  They sound great.  Lots of clarity, and I've heard some details in my music I've only heard with my nicer IEMs.  I love the treble extension, this is probably the most important part for me.  I love the airiness you get with good treble extension as long as it isn't too sibilant, and these haven't been too sibilant.  The mids sound great, maybe a bit thin, but I like it.  There isn't alot of bass but I think they do a good job of playing whatever bass is in the music.  They sound alot like my EX1000 in that respect...they can go fairly low but they don't accentuate the bass.  They sound very balanced and without any mid-bass bloat (I hate mid-bass bloat).  The soundstage is decent, I can pinpoint cymbals etc. pretty easily, but the soundstage is a bit narrow (typical for a closed headphone I guess).

For reference, I've been using them with a CEntrance Dacport Slim with PC and straight out of my Sony Xperia Z1 phone.  The other closed headphones I've used are MDR1R, ATH-A900X, K550, 553Pro, UE6000.

May 2, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,521 of 2,803
  Just thought I'd share my initial impressions with these sweet headphones.

I bought mine from Focus Camera when they had the refurbished sale.  They showed up with a defective left driver.  Focus wouldn't send another pair right away, so I would have to gamble that one would be available once my defective pair showed up at Focus.  I decided to have AT fix them under warranty which was painless.  It just cost me shipping to AT, return shipping was free.  AT was great to deal with and turnaround was about a week.  And thanks to whoever posted the deal, I forget who it was.

When I was finally able to listen to them for more than 5 minutes I found the clamping force waaay to strong.  These are made for a small head.  I have a big head like Tyll.  So I bent the headband out a few times to the point that I could wear them for a few hours without any discomfort.  They're very comfy now!

Another issue I had was terrible creaking coming from the joints.  It was unbearable, every time I moved or opened my mouth the joints would creak, and it was so loud.  I finally gave in and took them apart to grease all the joints.  I feel alot of headphone manufacturers skip this important step.  My Sony MDR1R's were the same, totally unbearable until I took them apart and greased them.

So finally I could sit down and listen to them without any discomfort or creaking, and they blew me away!  They sound great.  Lots of clarity, and I've heard some details in my music I've only heard with my nicer IEMs.  I love the treble extension, this is probably the most important part for me.  I love the airiness you get with good treble extension as long as it isn't too sibilant, and these haven't been too sibilant.  The mids sound great, maybe a bit thin, but I like it.  There isn't alot of bass but I think they do a good job of playing whatever bass is in the music.  They sound alot like my EX1000 in that respect...they can go fairly low but they don't accentuate the bass.  They sound very balanced and without any mid-bass bloat (I hate mid-bass bloat).  The soundstage is decent, I can pinpoint cymbals etc. pretty easily, but the soundstage is a bit narrow (typical for a closed headphone I guess).

For reference, I've been using them with a CEntrance Dacport Slim with PC and straight out of my Sony Xperia Z1 phone.  The other closed headphones I've used are MDR1R, ATH-A900X, K550, 553Pro, UE6000.

I got in on the same deal.  When I received them one of the pads had a cut in it.  Contacted Focus Camera and got the same response as you.  So I contacted AT and they sent me a new pair of pads.  Best $99 I've ever spent on a pair of headphones and this includes the $99 I spent on the HD598's.

May 3, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #1,522 of 2,803
  I got in on the same deal.  When I received them one of the pads had a cut in it.  Contacted Focus Camera and got the same response as you.  So I contacted AT and they sent me a new pair of pads.  Best $99 I've ever spent on a pair of headphones and this includes the $99 I spent on the HD598's.

$99 for this headphone is absolutely incredible. I paid £170 for it and it's still one of the best purchases I've made in my headphone inventory. Enjoy it.

May 4, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #1,523 of 2,803
Well, my patience died and I ordered the MSR7, hopefully they're what I've been looking for. I'll be sure to give my impressions when I've given them some time. Does anyone know if it is possible to fix the creakiness of these headphones without a bunch of tools to fully take it apart? I've seen it mentioned and they just look so nice and premium I feel like the plastic creaking is just gonna throw me off.

May 4, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #1,524 of 2,803
  Well, my patience died and I ordered the MSR7, hopefully they're what I've been looking for. I'll be sure to give my impressions when I've given them some time. Does anyone know if it is possible to fix the creakiness of these headphones without a bunch of tools to fully take it apart? I've seen it mentioned and they just look so nice and premium I feel like the plastic creaking is just gonna throw me off.

I only can open the top section (which hold pleather headband). I must open the housing too but impossible for me (read it "too lazy") to tear aparts the housing
The swivel parts inside are made of metal, holded by 2 screws. I think that's the problem because MSR7 using 2 different material for swivel parts

May 4, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,525 of 2,803

I only can open the top section (which hold pleather headband). I must open the housing too but impossible for me (read it "too lazy") to tear aparts the housing
The swivel parts inside are made of metal, holded by 2 screws. I think that's the problem because MSR7 using 2 different material for swivel parts

It's easy to open up the necessary parts.  You need the correct size phillips screwdriver, I forget the size but hopefully you have one handy.

1. Remove the earpad, pretty simple.  Just tug on it and work around the circumfrence to free it.
2. In my opinion the noisy parts are the plastic hinges inside the cup.  Remove the 4 long screws closest to the driver, they are the innermost screws.  The driver side of the cup can now be pulled away just enough to get at the joints.  Be careful with the attached wire.  Add a bit of grease to the joints.  Leave the cup hanging as now you have access to the swivel screws.
3. Remove the 2 short lower screws, the screws not on the headband but just below.  If you have the black and blue version, they would be in the blue piece.  Gently pull the top of this piece away, enough to expose the swivel.  Add some grease.  Push the piece back, reinstall the 2 screws.
4. Put the driver side cup back (note the wire position inside the cup, don't let it get pinched), reinstall the 4 long screws.  Reattach the earpad.
5. Repeat for other side.
6. Enjoy!

May 4, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #1,526 of 2,803
I also wanted to update my previous impressions and say that they do seem to be a bit bass light, or treble heavy, depending on how you look at it.  There isn't alot of oomph to the low end, but I still really like them!

May 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,527 of 2,803
Got them, and my first impressions are that they're pretty darn good sounding. I'm not getting any squeakiness, its all smooth motion here. These'll be a good portable for me, since I like aggressive mids for rock and this definitely delivers. The only thing that's weird to me is that in the top-center of the headband, it seems like there's a padded piece, but its on the side opposite my head. Was this put on backwards or something? its weird to see a soft bump on top of the headband

May 5, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #1,528 of 2,803
  Got them, and my first impressions are that they're pretty darn good sounding. I'm not getting any squeakiness, its all smooth motion here. These'll be a good portable for me, since I like aggressive mids for rock and this definitely delivers. The only thing that's weird to me is that in the top-center of the headband, it seems like there's a padded piece, but its on the side opposite my head. Was this put on backwards or something? its weird to see a soft bump on top of the headband

LOL
Most folks are complaining about the Clamping but you caught that the top part is more puffy then the part that's on your head.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad you like the MSR7. 

May 5, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,529 of 2,803

LOL
Most folks are complaining about the Clamping but you caught that the top part is more puffy then the part that's on your head.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad you like the MSR7. 

Soooo, does that mean this is normal? XD Yeah, I'm pretty ok with comfort, I plan to wear them out and about and general use and that is just for max 20 mins at a time for walking and I have other cans to use at my desk. Judging from this first listening session it takes me about an hour and 15 mins for the clamp to start bothering me, so I'm good

May 7, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,530 of 2,803

I'm using stPad pleather, perfect fit for MSR7

Thanks to @riposte that i found a replacement for the default pad 
biggrin.gif

I ordered the stPad microfiber one and it fits perfectly with MSR7, overall the stPad slightly improves the sound's quality that suited for my taste (bass is reduced a bit, mid range sounds less forward and extends the treble range a bit). IMO the stPad is a better choice than the HM5 Pleather Pad despite the material of the pads is different (I tried HM5 few months ago - it is much more comfortable compared to the default one but it tarnished the sound's quality 
frown.gif
).

The shortfall I found is that Yaxi does not put their product on any website, hence you will have to contact them directly (So far I did not see any distributor outside of Japan excepts one from Indonesia).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back