Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 13, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,278 of 2,803
Outer cup is plastic, inner cup (where the driver is housed) is metal. Swivel hinges are plastic.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,280 of 2,803
Just got MSR7 to replace TH-X00. X00 definitely has more potent bass slam, similar midrange clarity although I think MSR7 is more forward, and smoother high than MSR7. However I do not find MSR7 bright at all, in fact it's just right for me and my playlist.

More importantly though, it's way more comfortable and lighter than TH-X00 which was the deal breaker for me.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,281 of 2,803
I was about to return the msr7. But after a few days of playing the sound has changed. Yea yea yea I know. But I'm telling you it has changed.

I have not been listening to these exclusively. In fact it's been pretty sporadic and I've been testing some other cans.

Also one key thing I think... I noticed the pads were a little thinner at the bottom. I have a tendency to lose a seal because of my jawline. I rotated the ear pads and they appear to be thicker at the bottom now. I think this is giving me a better seal around my jaw making the bass more prominent.

Really liking the msr7. Might become my primary can. I consider it a semi-open almost.

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #1,282 of 2,803
Sold the MSR7 the other day. It was a fantastic can but with the K612 and the 325is around I don't use it that much, and I can't use it on trains and buses as hoped since it doesn't block sound that good. 

Can anyone recommend an in-ear that has similar characteristics to the MSR7? I really like the sound, not the form factor though

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,284 of 2,803
Bought the MSR7 today and I am very, very impressed by them. Gotta give credit to Audio Technica's sound engineer's because headphones as technically advanced as the MSR7 cost allot to make...I wonder if they make much of a profit.

These are easily the best headphones i have ever heard next to Denon ah-d7000 and Sennheiser HD650.

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,285 of 2,803
The so call leakage is exaggerated along with the clamping!
I use the MSR7 & DX50 on my commute I have no problem hearing.
To get leakage you have to be "Blasting" the headphone from your source.
confused_face.gif

I got mine a week after they came to market they are now broken in, no more issue with clamping.
Put it on a basketball for a couple of days.
I love the MSR7 and thank you ATH.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,286 of 2,803
The clacking of the plastic is more annoying. Not as bad as my worn out M50 but if I tilt my head suddenly I can hear the earcup crinkle and stick to a small rubber pad on the hinge.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,287 of 2,803
The clacking of the plastic is more annoying. Not as bad as my worn out M50 but if I tilt my head suddenly I can hear the earcup crinkle and stick to a small rubber pad on the hinge.

I didn't have this experience with stock pads, only with brainwavz pads. Have you tried retracting the headband a click or two on either side? This corrected the issue on brainwavz pads. The brainwavz pads also put the headphones at a wider stance, so maybe bending the headband out a bit would also help, not that I've tried this. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,288 of 2,803
  The so call leakage is exaggerated along with the clamping!
I use the MSR7 & DX50 on my commute I have no problem hearing.
To get leakage you have to be "Blasting" the headphone from your source.
confused_face.gif

I got mine a week after they came to market they are now broken in, no more issue with clamping.
Put it on a basketball for a couple of days.
I love the MSR7 and thank you ATH.
biggrin.gif

I've noticed many people play their headphones really, really, loud. One of the MSR7's strengths, and really a strength of most all high quality headphones, is that they sound great at low levels. I've always thought it part of appreciation of this hobby was to listen at lower volumes. Really it's just something you have to get accustomed to, so that when you do turn it up, you still are only turning it up a bit and getting the effect that you have it loud. Some that might not appreciate that will keep taking them louder and louder..

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,289 of 2,803

I've noticed many people play their headphones really, really, loud. One of the MSR7's strengths, and really a strength of most all high quality headphones, is that they sound great at low levels. I've always thought it part of appreciation of this hobby was to listen at lower volumes. Really it's just something you have to get accustomed to, so that when you do turn it up, you still are only turning it up a bit and getting the effect that you have it loud. Some that might not appreciate that will keep taking them louder and louder..

Your so Right!
When I don't have my Headphone on I can hear folks music, that should not be the case on a rail car or bus.
Most have "Cheap ear buds" they are just damaging their hearing.
Just my opinion.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,290 of 2,803

I didn't have this experience with stock pads, only with brainwavz pads. Have you tried retracting the headband a click or two on either side? This corrected the issue on brainwavz pads. The brainwavz pads also put the headphones at a wider stance, so maybe bending the headband out a bit would also help, not that I've tried this. 

it does depend on your fit (whether you put the headband forward or back of your scalp, I'm more of a forward-wearer)and retracting the headband helps a lot but also increases the clamping force. if i move my head slowly it doesn't happen.

has anyone tried removing the sticky pad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back