Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 8, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,261 of 2,803

I agree on all of your points, it is very competitive and has a lot of strengths especially for the price.  Oh, it also has a standard 3.5mm detachable cable too.

A true competitor in its class indeed!

BTW, FYLegend, have you heard the Sennheiser HD-25? I had owned a set in the past, and if they weren't stolen I probably would still own them. They have a very upfront sound to them, great PRaT, a bit of sibilance. While not noise cancelling, they are know to be one of the best isolating cans in the market, as they were intended for dj mixing. In my opinion sonically they are inferior to the MSR7's. They butcher pianos like no other headphones I've heard!! But I do recommend them, they are great for rock and electronic music, their split headband makes them great for head-bangin. Oh and they are perhaps the most indestructible headphone out there, you would have to try very hard to break them. I'd read up on them. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,262 of 2,803
I can't disagree more with you here. The MSR7 while a portable headphone, is in my view one of the better executed closed headphones on the market currently and in the past. It does so many things right. It's not heavy, it's comfortable, it's durable (survived acts of dog for me), it's very pleasing aesthetically. It's not too big, can easily be used as a portable headphone. That's not even going into sound signature, which in my opinion is very well tuned by AT. It avoids the bass bloat that you find in too many cheaper closed headphones. The midrange is not thin, I say that with experience of having owned a Denon D2000 and having heard a think midrange. The top end does have a bit of energy, and that may be it's only fault, but some might characterize that as flavor than any sort of weakness. It is definitely very well detailed, especially for a closed headphone which has a proportionally appropriate low end response. I'd have a hard time pointing out a closed headphone that sounds as well as the MSR7, isolates as well, doesn't leak as much, is portable. Especially in the $250 price range. As far bluetooth and NC, I can speak only for myself.. those are gimmicks. Features most all audiophiles would avoid when searching for a headphone. 

I personally think the MSR7 is one the best values in closed headphones. Nothing casual about that :wink_face: .

I was surprised at how well the MSR7s perform against substantially more expensive headphones both in build quality and sound.

Re the top end- I find that if the recording was done well, the top end sounds perfect. If it's not done well, you can easily tell. At the same time, if you have a set of phones that is more laid back on the top end so that the flaws aren't as obvious, you don't get the detail the MSR7s deliver.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #1,263 of 2,803

I can't disagree more with you here. The MSR7 while a portable headphone, is in my view one of the better executed closed headphones on the market currently and in the past. It does so many things right. It's not heavy, it's comfortable, it's durable (survived acts of dog for me), it's very pleasing aesthetically. It's not too big, can easily be used as a portable headphone. That's not even going into sound signature, which in my opinion is very well tuned by AT. It avoids the bass bloat that you find in too many cheaper closed headphones. The midrange is not thin, I say that with experience of having owned a Denon D2000 and having heard a think midrange. The top end does have a bit of energy, and that may be it's only fault, but some might characterize that as flavor than any sort of weakness. It is definitely very well detailed, especially for a closed headphone which has a proportionally appropriate low end response. I'd have a hard time pointing out a closed headphone that sounds as well as the MSR7, isolates as well, doesn't leak as much, is portable. Especially in the $250 price range. As far bluetooth and NC, I can speak only for myself.. those are gimmicks. Features most all audiophiles would avoid when searching for a headphone. 

I personally think the MSR7 is one the best values in closed headphones. Nothing casual about that 
wink_face.gif

I was responding to your idea that more colours would make it unprofessional - I would have at least liked to see Gun Metal Grey as it still looks professional to me. I tend to not mind BT or NC but I consider them "nice to have" features as long as unpowered and wired sound quality is not greatly compromised.

MSR7 I consider good portable headphone, but there are some drawbacks - the sound may not appeal to everyone, there's some sound leakage and isolation is just about passable. I consider them semi-open to a extent actually.

A casual listener (not audiophile) might prefer something with NC and Bluetooth that still sounds good and I feel the MDR-100AAP may be better for that role.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,265 of 2,803
How's the prat on these? Do they handle demanding, fast-paced metal well?

yes, tight - well controlled - fast bass

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #1,266 of 2,803
yes, tight - well controlled - fast bass

Thanks!

I'm looking for a closed headphone that's good all-around, but especially for metal.

The NAD Visa HP50 is a good headphone, but not so good with metal.

I currently have a Beyerdynamic T70 with Brainwavz pads. It's much better. I like the T70, just not its huge, non-detachable cable.

I need to decide if I want to trade the T70 for the MSR7.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #1,267 of 2,803
I just tried the Sound Professionals M50x Velour Pads briefly - on the M50x they only take off a bit of sub-bass and the highs, but on the MSR7 they increase the clamping force a bit and the bass rolls off... Not sure if the mids are more forward but the bass roll-off seems to give the impression of more sibilance.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #1,268 of 2,803
Thanks!

I'm looking for a closed headphone that's good all-around, but especially for metal.

The NAD Visa HP50 is a good headphone, but not so good with metal.

I currently have a Beyerdynamic T70 with Brainwavz pads. It's much better. I like the T70, just not its huge, non-detachable cable.

I need to decide if I want to trade the T70 for the MSR7.

No experience with the T70, but the MSR7's PRaT is stellar. I listen to various genres of metal and it's consistently performed admirably.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #1,269 of 2,803
  I just tried the Sound Professionals M50x Velour Pads briefly - on the M50x they only take off a bit of sub-bass and the highs, but on the MSR7 they increase the clamping force a bit and the bass rolls off... Not sure if the mids are more forward but the bass roll-off seems to give the impression of more sibilance.

I've had the same experience with all the velours I've tried. Just don't think any of them will be a good match for a brighter headphone, unfortunately. I had the same issue with the Brainwavz pleather too. Stock pads seem to be the best sounding.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #1,270 of 2,803
No experience with the T70, but the MSR7's PRaT is stellar. I listen to various genres of metal and it's consistently performed admirably.

That's great news! Maybe these are the closed headphones for me!

I've had the same experience with all the velours I've tried. Just don't think any of them will be a good match for a brighter headphone, unfortunately. I had the same issue with the Brainwavz pleather too. Stock pads seem to be the best sounding.

That's terrible news! I love the Brainwavz pleather pads, and based on what I've read, I will hate the the stock pads.

I wish I wasn't so picky!

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,271 of 2,803
That's great news! Maybe these are the closed headphones for me!
That's terrible news! I love the Brainwavz pleather pads, and based on what I've read, I will hate the the stock pads.

I wish I wasn't so picky!

Luckily there are fixes for comfort issues, such as adding a makeshift spacer (or paper towel) to the inner lip of the pads. What about the stock pads do you think would bother you?

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #1,272 of 2,803
Luckily there are fixes for comfort issues, such as adding a makeshift spacer (or paper towel) to the inner lip of the pads. What about the stock pads do you think would bother you?

There are a couple issues. First, I wear glasses. Also, I'm sensitive to clamping pressure. I've read the MSR7's headband is sturdy enough to withstand a stretch, so that may be a non-factor.

The Brainwavz pads are the first pleather pads I could live with.

So, are you saying, it's possible to add something to the pads to make them softer/provide more room between my ears and the drivers?

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,273 of 2,803
There are a couple issues. First, I wear glasses. Also, I'm sensitive to clamping pressure. I've read the MSR7's headband is sturdy enough to withstand a stretch, so that may be a non-factor.

The Brainwavz pads are the first pleather pads I could live with.

So, are you saying, it's possible to add something to the pads to make them softer/provide more room between my ears and the drivers?

I had some problems with them out of the box, like many others. The pads were too shallow, and the clamping force too high. Stretching the headband is a big help, and yes, you can use something to make the pads deeper (I use some paper towels). I wear glasses too and haven't had any issues there. With those fixes they work very well for me, but of course comfort is a personal thing. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #1,274 of 2,803

They have a smaller bore so they are designed to maintain the sound signature.

The other slight annoyance is the creakiness or clunking of the plastic hinges - I had the same problem develop on my M50x over time but I experienced this out of the box. This is partly due to the earcup hitting the hinge at times where there is a small rubber pad, causing a "sticky" sound, and also caused by the hinge itself being slightly loose. I need them clamped tightly and faced forward to lessen this crackling sound.

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,275 of 2,803
"There are slight differences between the MSR7 & MSR7NC due to the integration of the NC electronics and structure of the ear cup but the audio profile between the MSR7 and MSR7NC is extremely similar. - A-T USA"

So don't expect big changes to the headband... They should have made it foldaway at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back