Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Sep 3, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #901 of 2,803
  hello guys i am kinda new at audio world is the msr-7 worth for using it in competitive gaming? i need it to play some fps gaming is it have good soundstage ??

thank you for your reply 

You'd probably want something open like the ATH-AD series for gaming. If you need closed headphones, the MSR7 have a nice soundstage and image, but not as good as open headphones. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #902 of 2,803
Hello everyone, I've had the MSR7 for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving the overall sound (especially the vocals). I'm also thinking of getting an open back with a relatively similar signature and vocals section to the MSR7, so just wondering if anyone have any recommendation?

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #903 of 2,803
  Hello everyone, I've had the MSR7 for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving the overall sound (especially the vocals). I'm also thinking of getting an open back with a relatively similar signature and vocals section to the MSR7, so just wondering if anyone have any recommendation?

I would also be interested in this. I had a K712 here but i kept preferring my MSR7. The K712 is going back.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #904 of 2,803
  Hello everyone, I've had the MSR7 for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving the overall sound (especially the vocals). I'm also thinking of getting an open back with a relatively similar signature and vocals section to the MSR7, so

My MSR7 has crazy detailed sound in midrange and treble. The only other headphone I can think for the moment that can have similar detailed midrange and treble is the HD800. That right the MSR7 is that good. I would jump to the TOTL headphones from the MSR7.  My Stax is another great headphone.  

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #905 of 2,803

I would also be interested in this. I had a K712 here but i kept preferring my MSR7. The K712 is going back.

Really? I've heard the K712 is not on par with the MSR7 in terms of detail but still fairly good,but it's not as upper-mid and treble focused. I was considering the K612 as some said it has a bit more midrange and treble energy than the K712 as almost as good as the MSR7 in terms of detail.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #906 of 2,803
  Really? I've heard the K712 is not on par with the MSR7 in terms of detail but still fairly good,but it's not as upper-mid and treble focused. I was considering the K612 as some said it has a bit more midrange and treble energy than the K712 as almost as good as the MSR7 in terms of detail.

I haven't heard the K712, but the K612 is pretty close to MSR7 in resolving power. MSR7 does have noticeably more resolution in the treble, while the treble on the K612 is more polite and easier to listen to. K712 is likely somewhat more resolving than the K612, but I doubt that it's a big difference. I would get the K612 as a nice upgrade over MSR7 for a more relaxed, more balanced, spacious and dynamic listening experience at home - K612 is also far more comfy to wear and much more suitable for use in hot weather than the MSR7.  It's more tonally balanced than MSR7, has better dynamics and sense of space and actually costs ~$100 less too!

I also have HD600 and Fidelio X2 and I don't think that those are really much better than K612, if at all. Maybe in some ways, but mostly just different and K612 actually beats the other two in some aspects as well, such as tonal balance and instrument separation for example. I do think HD600 scales higher than K612 with better sources. For it's current price, the K612 is a way better value than any of the others I mentioned, including MSR7. However, I would still consider an HD600, Hifiman HE-400S or Fidelio X2 if you want something warmer with more low midrange/upper bass body and a fuller sound. K612 is amazing for the price, but it's definitely more of a monitor headphone than an audiophile one, as it tends to sound drier, leaner and more strictly neutral than most audiophile cans, like HD600/650, Fidelio X1/X2 and even Beyer DT880. Personally, I love the character of the K612 and find it quite fun to listen to, but everyone is different so... just saying. Would be nicer if you could audition the other cans too to better establish your preferences.

Quote:
  My MSR7 has crazy detailed sound in midrange and treble. The only other headphone I can think for the moment that can have similar detailed midrange and treble is the HD800. That right the MSR7 is that good. I would jump to the TOTL headphones from the MSR7.  My Stax is another great headphone.  

I totally agree. That's why I keep my MSR7, even though its forward, aggressive presentation is not really my cup of tea.
smily_headphones1.gif
I should also add that I think the bass on MSR7 is also tighter than on any closed back and almost any other headphone I've heard, although the bass resolution is not quite as good as on HD800 or planars.

BTW, I find MSR7 very much an Etymotic ER4 of closed back full sized headphones. I think it's quite similar to the ER4 (more like an ER4P in the bass and mids and ER4S in the treble) in character and technicalities, but with more bass weight, which a great thing, as the Etys are really lacking in that regard. MSR7 is perhaps a bit more aggressive sounding than the Etys in the upper mids and highs, but that makes the MSR7 more exciting to listen to.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #907 of 2,803

I totally agree. That's why I keep my MSR7, even though its forward, aggressive presentation is not really my cup of tea.
smily_headphones1.gif
I should also add that I think the bass on MSR7 is also tighter than on any closed back and almost any other headphone I've heard, although the bass resolution is not quite as good as on HD800 or planars.

BTW, I find MSR7 very much an Etymotic ER4 of closed back full sized headphones. I think it's quite similar to the ER4 (more like an ER4P in the bass and mids and ER4S in the treble) in character and technicalities, but with more bass weight, which a great thing, as the Etys are really lacking in that regard. MSR7 is perhaps a bit more aggressive sounding than the Etys in the upper mids and highs, but that makes the MSR7 more exciting to listen to.

i havent hear the msr7 or the akg k612 but the biggest difference is that one doesn't requiere amp and has a mic with extra cords while the other is not for a mobile use.
btw how would you compare the k550 against the k612?.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #908 of 2,803
  i havent hear the msr7 or the akg k612 but the biggest difference is that one doesn't requiere amp and has a mic with extra cords while the other is not for a mobile use.
btw how would you compare the k550 against the k612?.

Sorry, I haven't heard the K550, so can't compare the two. My guess is that the K550 won't sounds as even as K601 and likely won't have quite the resolution and refinement. I read about high frequency issues with the K550 - many people report hearing harshness and grain in the treble with these headphones. K612 doesn't have this issue - its high are clean and even with no harshness and no hint of grain that I can hear. The highs on the K612 are a little softer than those on, say, the MSR7 or HD800. but still detailed and clear.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #910 of 2,803
  Is it good for extremely low volume listening?

How good it sounds directly from a laptop?

And how is it compared too k553 pro? In term of brightness, thinness, soundstage?

I find MSR7 to be pretty good at low volumes - it retains great resolution and clarity even at very low listening levels. It is certainly easy to drive as well and should sound very good straight out of a laptop, as long as the output is not too noisy, reasonably neutral with no sound degrading effects enabled, and as long as you feed it decent quality recordings. MSR7 is very revealing and will readily allow you to hear any flaws in your music and low bitrate artifacts.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #912 of 2,803

And how is it compared too k553 pro? In term of brightness, thinness, soundstage?

I both briefly at a headphone store using my phone. MSR7 is a bit brighter. K553 is warmer and more laid-back. Not really sure but the soundstage is about the same, pretty wide in both.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #913 of 2,803
I find MSR7 to be pretty good at low volumes - it retains great resolution and clarity even at very low listening levels. It is certainly easy to drive as well and should sound very good straight out of a laptop, as long as the output is not too noisy, reasonably neutral with no sound degrading effects enabled, and as long as you feed it decent quality recordings. MSR7 is very revealing and will readily allow you to hear any flaws in your music and low bitrate artifacts.

I both briefly at a headphone store using my phone. MSR7 is a bit brighter. K553 is warmer and more laid-back. Not really sure but the soundstage is about the same, pretty wide in both.

I have used the k553 pro with my laptop and note 3. It sounds extremely loud with the laptop. Need to turn down the volume in Taskbar and foobar much. With low volume sounds clear.

So the msr7 is brighter? Do they also sound thinner?

Somehow I feel the sound from k553 not as full, compared to the mdr 1r o briefly auditioned in a store. But that maybe because I have to turn up the volume on the store. K553 sound more full with higher volume. But the mdr 1r don't sound as hi fi as k553. Like it lacks clarity.

Isolation for k553 not as good as hd280pro I have owned in the past.
Will msr7 isolation be betterthan k553?

170usd for msr7. Good price?

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #914 of 2,803
I have used the k553 pro with my laptop and note 3. It sounds extremely loud with the laptop. Need to turn down the volume in Taskbar and foobar much. With low volume sounds clear.

So the msr7 is brighter? Do they also sound thinner?

Somehow I feel the sound from k553 not as full, compared to the mdr 1r o briefly auditioned in a store. But that maybe because I have to turn up the volume on the store. K553 sound more full with higher volume. But the mdr 1r don't sound as hi fi as k553. Like it lacks clarity.

Isolation for k553 not as good as hd280pro I have owned in the past.
Will msr7 isolation be betterthan k553?

170usd for msr7. Good price?

That's an incredible price. I paid the full 250 and have never been happier with money spent on headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back