Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Aug 31, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #889 of 2,803
Any good deals in Canada?

I auditioned them a second time at a store in New York. Great soundstage and instrument separation. A bit bright but not sibilant as some claim - it doesn't sound metallic like that of the M50x. Bass is present and tight but not overly present. Also tried the M70x - more top-heavy and a bit too muddled for me at the low end and mids (I guess I need to get more used to an analytical sound). Decided not to get it but might get it if I go to Taiwan - it's being sold for around 215 USD there.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #890 of 2,803
Someone in the CanJam London thread mentioned that the Audio Technica reps at the show told him they were "working on the headband and are looking at one with more comfort and give" for the MSR7. Looks like there will eventually be a revision with better comfort which hopefully retains the same sound signature. Anyone else hear about a possible revision? Who knows when this would actually happen though.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #891 of 2,803
  Someone in the CanJam London thread mentioned that the Audio Technica reps at the show told him they were "working on the headband and are looking at one with more comfort and give" for the MSR7. Looks like there will eventually be a revision with better comfort which hopefully retains the same sound signature. Anyone else hear about a possible revision? Who knows when this would actually happen though.

I think that Audio Technica did a great job with the driver design on the MSR7 but again fumble with the headband. I was able to readjust the headband  the same way that Tyll Hertsens show in his video. For a long long time I thought that Audio-Technica headphones was a joke. The "wing" headband system on some models which never worked on my head with no way to adjust the tension on the wings. I currently own the MSR7 and my M70X just came in for me. Never thought in a million years that I will own two Audio Technica headphones.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #892 of 2,803
  I think that Audio Technica did a great job with the driver design on the MSR7 but again fumble with the headband. I was able to readjust the headband  the same way that Tyll Hertsens show in his video. For a long long time I thought that Audio-Technica headphones was a joke. The "wing" headband system on some models which never worked on my head with no way to adjust the tension on the wings. I currently own the MSR7 and my M70X just came in for me. Never thought in a million years that I will own two Audio Technica headphones.

+1
Nice sounding headphones, just too tight for me.  I returned them.
Now I'm looking at the Shure 1540 which, unfortunately, is a whole lot more expensive.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #893 of 2,803
I used to own the Shure 940 the all plastic headband broke after two years. It was a bit bright. My m70X which  just came has a more more conformable headband out of the box with less clamping pressure and more sound isolation than the MSR7. After adjusting the headband on the MSR7 I am keeping it since the sound quality is too good to pass up.  The M70x is something you can take another look at and it is cheaper.  The Shure 1540 is going to be a bassier headphone than the M70X and more so with the MSR7.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #894 of 2,803
  I used to own the Shure 940 the all plastic headband broke after two years. It was a bit bright. My m70X which  just came has a more more conformable headband out of the box with less clamping pressure and more sound isolation than the MSR7. After adjusting the headband on the MSR7 I am keeping it since the sound quality is too good to pass up.  The M70x is something you can take another look at and it is cheaper.  The Shure 1540 is going to be a bassier headphone than the M70X and more so with the MSR7.

Thanks for the detailed info, I appreciate it.

edit: Oh, BTW, I had the 940's a few years ago.
Did not like them at all.  I understand from reliable
sources that the 1540 is a very different animal.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #895 of 2,803
I don't have much problem with the headband. Just stretched it out and everything is gravy now, even with my big head. It definitely clamps hard and pokes down at first, but once you stretch it there's no problem.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #896 of 2,803
I did hear the Shure 1840 earlier this year at the meet. It made everything sounded that it recorded in a bare room with hard walls and floor. A very large soundstage with everything was my impression which might appeal to some. The 1840 does have large measured THD  which is open to debate. Never heard the 1540. Listening to my M70X now and will compare it to the adjusted MSR7 later on.  Had trouble with one of my amps, working now.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #897 of 2,803
  I don't have much problem with the headband. Just stretched it out and everything is gravy now, even with my big head. It definitely clamps hard and pokes down at first, but once you stretch it there's no problem.

I don't like 'stretching' headbands on new headphones.
As far as I'm concerned, headphones are like
good shoes in that way.  They either fit when you
put them on, or they don't.

I realize this is entirely personal and I'm not 
recommending anything here with respect
to 'headphone stretching'.

One other thing - occasionally, I do return
headphones if I really can't live with them.
And I wouldn't want to alter them in any way
if I'm contemplating a return.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #898 of 2,803
I tend to think that just like headphone burn-in for shoes and headphones there also needs to be a physical break-in.

What holds me back to getting the MSR7 is that there might be an MSR8 or MSR7x now :p

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #899 of 2,803
Wow, i just received my AKG K712 and i'm reminded how good of a headphone the MSR7 really is. I might write a detailed comparison of these 2 headphones if there is any interest.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #900 of 2,803
hello guys i am kinda new at audio world is the msr-7 worth for using it in competitive gaming? i need it to play some fps gaming is it have good soundstage ??

thank you for your reply 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back