Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jul 29, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #856 of 2,803
Can someone compare MSR7 to Soundmagic HP150, Beyerdynamic DT770 & Yamaha MT-220, please?

Thanks in advance

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #858 of 2,803
I guess I missed out on all the love/hate/hype of these things, but I just got my hands on a set this past week. I was a big fan of the CKR9 and these give me the same feeling. The highs are brighter and the lows aren't as deep but that detail, cleanliness, and realism is like falling in love all over again. These are a definite big recommendation from me if you like the AT house sound and want something that's near reference while still being fun AND analytical.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #862 of 2,803
If anyone has trouble with the drivers touching and irritating their big ears like I did, a half inch thick three inch long roll of paper towel takes care of it. Widens the image a tad but otherwise doesn't change the sound and helps with the drivers pressing against the ears. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #863 of 2,803
I just bought these "new" from Amazon, but I'm not so sure they are actually brand new...

Does the outer box come with any kind of factory seal?  Mine didn't have one, the insides looked fairly well packed but the cables didn't look well organized in the interior box. 

Thanks for any comments, especially on the seal

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #866 of 2,803
No, there's no seal. Just the outer sleeve and inner box. Cables are in a plastic bag or in the case, or both; can't remember. But no, there's no seal. Sounds to me like you got a new one. Mine was bought new in an electronics shop and was packed the same way.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #867 of 2,803
No seal anywhere on mine. The cables are in a zip lock bag like. I have brought many headphones in the past and I am sure you got a new one as well since it was Amazon stock  not third party and shipped from Amazon. Customer returns are handle by Amazon Marketplace and listed as used by Amazon. You got a good discount. Another way of getting a discount is to order this headphone as a  Japan import and save $31 if you do not mind waiting at least a month for it on Amazon.
I got a refund when I got my HE400 planner and since it was on a closeout and Amazon lowered the price shortly after I brought them and I complain and got a $40 back from the price difference. Great Amazon customer service.

Aug 18, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #868 of 2,803
Already listening to the MSR7 and it is a very unique sounding headphone. I am using my IFI Retro amp with a slight one click treble cut until the headphone are broken in a bit and I will remove the treble cut. I do this with many new headphones since I wanted to listen right away. Already comparing the MSR7 with the headphones I have and ran into a few things that I was not excepting. I will write a review later on and will try on my OPPO HA-1 next.    

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #869 of 2,803
No, there's no seal. Just the outer sleeve and inner box. Cables are in a plastic bag or in the case, or both; can't remember. But no, there's no seal. Sounds to me like you got a new one. Mine was bought new in an electronics shop and was packed the same way.

No seal anywhere on mine. The cables are in a zip lock bag like. I have brought many headphones in the past and I am sure you got a new one as well since it was Amazon stock  not third party and shipped from Amazon. Customer returns are handle by Amazon Marketplace and listed as used by Amazon. You got a good discount. Another way of getting a discount is to order this headphone as a  Japan import and save $31 if you do not mind waiting at least a month for it on Amazon.
I got a refund when I got my HE400 planner and since it was on a closeout and Amazon lowered the price shortly after I brought them and I complain and got a $40 back from the price difference. Great Amazon customer service.

Thanks for the replies about the seal. Mine were definitely used to some extent tho. There was a white mark on an ear pad, they weren't sitting flush in the fabric holder, and 2 of the cables were not in bags and strewn about that interior box, with the carry bag bunched up. Everything seems fine functionally though so I took the partial refund.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #870 of 2,803

Oh, also it was a third party seller, but it came from the USA and was "fulfilled by Amazon" for what it's worth. Originally 220 (now 175 "used") but did consider a Japanese import just didn't want to wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Back