Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Mar 27, 2011 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vbballmaster

New Head-Fier
Hello this is my first post on this forum,

I have just purchased a pair of Audio-technica ATH-M50 cans online.  Straight out of the box I have noticed a problem, the left side kind of sounds like somethings shaking inside whenever the bass hits.  The sound is hard to explain, I am unsure whether something is loose inside or if it just makes a weird sound whenever the bass hits.  Is this going to go away after a burn-in period, or is something broken and if so is there anything I can do about it, Thanks

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 5
have you checked all of the connections? sometimes, if the plug isn't completely plugged in, then the sound will not sound as it should. on an M50, check BOTH the in out jack. meaning check what you're plugged into and if the headphone plug is secure.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 5
What a coincidence. I recieved a pair of Grado SR-225i's last week and last night when I was lying in my bed, for the first time listening to something really bass-heavy, I noticed the same thing vbballmaster described. Every time there's a heavy bass punch, there's the sound of something shaking on the left side. Less heavy hits produce less shaking / scrambling.
I was listening to SONOIO's "Just me". It's worth mentioning, though, that other tracks that I'd consider bass heavy, though with significantly less bass than this particular song, don't make any noise. Tried the contacts and it definitely doesn't have anything to do with them. Played it out of spotify with my crappy laptop through a PA2V2, sure, sound quality is really bad, but it has nothing to do with that. Tried the same song with my ESW9's and the sound wasn't there.

Good to know I'm not alone with this problem. Sucks that I bought the cans from eBay.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
What a coincidence. I recieved a pair of Grado SR-225i's last week and last night when I was lying in my bed, for the first time listening to something really bass-heavy, I noticed the same thing vbballmaster described. Every time there's a heavy bass punch, there's the sound of something shaking on the left side. Less heavy hits produce less shaking / scrambling.

This is actually not a problem with the headphones themselves. Probably vibrations in the microphone that were picked up in the recording. Because monitor headphones such as the M50's are quite revealing, you will notice problems in the recording more often.

Same thing goes for hard hits on drums. In some songs I've listened to you can actually hear the rattling and phase differences from a hard hit on a bass drum or tom-tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back