Audio-Technica ATH-M50 worth getting?
Jul 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BurritoJimmy

New Head-Fier
Well i already have a pair of senn ie8s and i love them, but at school i listened to a friends full size headphones (not sure what they were though
frown.gif
) and I loved the feel and vibration of the bass all around my ears instead off just inside them.
Now just looking around and I've seen a lot of good reviews for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and was wondering if it would be worth getting them (would they be better than my ie8s?)

Just a few points:
I would use them mostly on my ipod so would my ipod touch be able to power them?
I listen to a lot of heavier music and i enjoy rich mids and lows and powerful bass, would these headphones fit this description?
Id probably use these as my at home/mild traveling head phones (like car trips and such) and just use my ie8s as my ultra portable pair.

So what do u guys think think? Get the headphones? Stick with my ie8s? Or recommend another pair (not too much more expensive though)

Much appreciated
gs1000.gif

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 7
I jsut got mine last night and am floored by how awesome these cans are. Admittedly, the M50s are my first foray into high quality audio, but compared to any other speakers I've strapped to my head, they're magnificent. If you're looking for that head-rumbling bass inside of your noggin, the M50s will deliver

Also:

-They're low impedance so you can plug them into just about anything and get good sound (ipod included).
-A lot of people say the the mids are recessed on the M50s, but I personally did not hear it. Again, I will bring up that I am no audiophile and these are my first quality cans, but to me the mids certainly left nothing to be desired. Few can argue though that the M50s deliver on the low end.
-These headphones are STURDY. They are very well built and extremely attractive so I wouldnt hesitate to take them out and about.

Also;

Bought my M50s here.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=ATH-M50s

Just put in the little coupon code(1-BP893CW-SAVE60) when it's in your cart and it comes out to 110$ before shipping.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 7
 Thanks for ur post shredicus, it seems the more i look into these the more i hear of people that love them like you.
Thanks for the link but as embarrassing as it is i cant find where to put the coupon code
tongue.gif

Also does anyone know if these headphones work well powered by an itouch or would i need an amp or something (sorry totally clueless)

And lastly i live in Canada so does anyone know a canadian seller? (just want to avoid custom fees but i can make do if it still ends up cheaper)

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 7
I've heard some cases where they don't charge you customs. Gotta be one of the lucky ones though. Also not sure if you'll be as impressed coming from the IE8's.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 7
I have M50's. I can say this:

Most of the positive reviews are correct. They sound pretty much brilliant, with amazing technicalities and speed, texture and detail. However, they aren't my favourite can personally, for a couple of reasons.

1. They really do have slightly recessed mids, though this depends COMPLETELY on the source that you are plugging them into. With a good match the mids are fine, with a poor match they can sound slightly hollow. Its not a big deal-breaker though; they just lack a little body in the lower mids for say deep male vocals, whereas they are flat out fantastic for female vocals.

2. They can be a little shrill / sibilant in the upper mids at times, and this again depends on the source - plugging them straight into an iPhone for instance, isn't quite enough power to avoid some amounts of sibilance on certain tracks. Again, this doesnt happen with every track, but it is a problem to watch out for on the "hot" ones.

3. I don't find them all that comfortable for long term use because they use quite a high clamping force, and the closed design makes your ears quite sweaty. Also the 3m cable on the straight version makes it annoying for portable use.

Don't get me wrong, they are still fantastic and I'm sure my pair will last me for ages, but they do have their flaws. I think for something similar in price, with a little bit more balanced sound and a great deal more comfort and ease of use, the new Sony ZX700's are a really good alternative that I've had a chance to compare. Just my thoughts.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Just a few points:
I would use them mostly on my ipod so would my ipod touch be able to power them?
I listen to a lot of heavier music and i enjoy rich mids and lows and powerful bass, would these headphones fit this description?
Id probably use these as my at home/mild traveling head phones (like car trips and such) and just use my ie8s as my ultra portable pair.

So what do u guys think think? Get the headphones? Stick with my ie8s? Or recommend another pair (not too much more expensive though)

Much appreciated
gs1000.gif

Itouch can power them. I have both itouch and cowon j3 and didn't find any difference in their ability to drive the headphones.
Everyone seems to agree that this headphone has powerful bass, but not on the mids. I sometimes think they have recessed mids, and sometimes not really. Maybe just take your chances? Get it from somewhere w/ good returning policy.

but btw your ears get sweaty pretty quickly...For me it's about 20-30 minutes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back