Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Sennheiser HD595
Nov 30, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #16 of 36
Closed headphones are the way to go if you're going to be in the same room. That will minimize the chance of problems in the future with sound leaking from the headphones. 

What equipment will you be plugging your new headphones into? 

Quote:
Ah, sounds like the AD700 leak more than others.  Could be prblematic.

You folks are very helpful.  I'm leaning strongly toward the HD595.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #17 of 36
Ignorance is bliss my friend,  you don't need to have some knowledge to understand what you do or do not like, especially something as explicit as comfort. Also the AD700 are one of the highest selling headphones ever, the vast majority of those people aren't flooding the forums with their comfort complaints now are they, the others are being ingenious to concocting their own remedies. The headphones must be doing something right, right?

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #18 of 36
Yes, ignorance is definitely bliss... lol... at least until the comfort / fit or sound of other headphones is found to be preferred. 

But like I just posted, those mods used to be a popular topic of discussion - back when the AD700 was very popular - kind of like the M50 has been very popular for a while now. 

I still remember and feel a little sorry for a young lady who posted back then for help with choosing headphones. She wanted something that would fit her smallish head, but despite my efforts she was convinced by popularity and a swarm of AD700 fanboys. I don't think the poor girl ever posted on Head-Fi again. And who knows, she still may be enjoying her over sized / loose fitting AD700... lol.  

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss my friend,  you don't need to have some knowledge to understand what you do or do not like, especially something as explicit as comfort. Also the AD700 are one of the highest selling headphones ever, the vast majority of those people aren't flooding the forums with their comfort complaints now are they, the others are being ingenious to concocting their own remedies. The headphones must be doing something right, right?

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #19 of 36
1Time I'm gonna be honest with you, if I get my next set of headphones and never post on this forum again I want you to k now I've found nirvana in audio. That I have come across what few audiophiles can convince themselves exists, which is true happiness.

This is mainly due to the fact that most Audiophiles are complete idiots, terrible materialistic, Obsessive to the point of no return, will spend more money on more crap they don't need nor will help anything, and are stubborn as mules. But after all of that I still glad I enjoy this myself( even if I've still spent very little, found some good cheaper headphones and a free amp/CD player.)

Fanboys do annoy me though, they suggest the same thing for everything. Whats his name who's obssessed with the TMA-1 has been getting on my nerves, the kids never even used the headphone and is still suggesting them in every thread.

But yeah, comfort is pretty easy to understand about yourself but very hard to recomend to others. I generally don't tell people anything about how I feel they won't have the same experience I do.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #20 of 36
If you want to fall asleep with music why don't you try something like the UM2/UM3X that are actually made to be flush with your ears? I am not sure how you are going to be able to sleep with big ass headphones on your head. Then again, I think there's something wrong if you care more about music than your wife.....

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #21 of 36
Sports-fans-
 Please don't hijack this thread.  I just wanna read suggestions from experienced folks so I can enjoy music.  I'll be using listening mainly with my iPhone, not on my big rig.

As I continue my research, it appears that the HD555 and 595 are identical other than a leather headband and two thin pieces of easily removable foam protection.  Hence, it appears that the 555 make $en$e.

My sweetie is understanding of some musical leakage, so that will be a minimal issue.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 36
OK, that's good to hear < a pun... lol. It's a hobbie for me, nothing serious. Although I do like helping people out with their equipment selections.   
Quote:
1Time I'm gonna be honest with you, if I get my next set of headphones and never post on this forum again I want you to k now I've found nirvana in audio. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #23 of 36

Quote:
Sports-fans-
 Please don't hijack this thread.  I just wanna read suggestions from experienced folks so I can enjoy music.  I'll be using listening mainly with my iPhone, not on my big rig.

As I continue my research, it appears that the HD555 and 595 are identical other than a leather headband and two thin pieces of easily removable foam protection.  Hence, it appears that the 555 make $en$e.

My sweetie is understanding of some musical leakage, so that will be a minimal issue.

Hmm let me put it differently then.

A long time oago on a forum called "Overclock.net" they had a thread on gaming headphones, the OP reviewed the isolation of headphones(Leaking and isolating) on a scale of how well he could hear his wife while they were on( IE: "Wife loud and clear", "can sorta hear wife," "Can't hear wife at all, perfect :D"). The point was he'd rather listen to the music then here the outside noise.

I thought it was funny, just be ready for some very moderate listening levels if you get the HD555's, or get ready for a complaining wife which your headphones can't block out.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #25 of 36
 [size=10pt]I don't fell comfortable with in-ears.[/size]

[size=10pt]Also Junior, [/size]
[size=10pt]I don't know the basis for a bizarre statement that I care more about music than my  wife.  Don’t respond.  Please keep your personal projections and irrelevant shrink analysis to yourself.  That’s not the purpose of this forum. Thanks[/size]

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #26 of 36

Quote:
 [size=10pt]I don't fell comfortable with in-ears.[/size]

[size=10pt]Also Junior, [/size]
[size=10pt]I don't know the basis for a bizarre statement that I care more about music than my  wife.  Don’t respond.  Please keep your personal projections and irrelevant shrink analysis to yourself.  That’s not the purpose of this forum. Thanks[/size]

Its a jest sir, we joke around here on Head-fi. I was suggesting you think about her first and foremost, rather you make a decision which wouldn't make her happier.

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #29 of 36
Woah this thread really needs to calm down.

We're all trying to help the OP pick a headphone and OP we joke around here :p

SoSpecial does raise a valid concern though. Depending on your music volume, open headphones leak. A lot. A lot as in if you listen to regular listening volumes, your wife will most likely hear what you're listening to. You know those people that play their ibuds really loud and even in a public place it gets kind of annoying? Open headphones are kinda like that, but can sometimes be even louder.  

IMO the AD700 and the HD555 leak about the same amount. They're very popular though, so if you can just go to a store and check it out. If you do end up getting the HD555, you can always opt for a closed headphone like the M50 at around 20-30 bucks extra (honestly not that much) because the HD555 are pretty cheaply gotten now. 

Lastly, if you haven't yet, check out the DT770s. They're more comfortable IMO than the AD700 and the HD555. They are closed with minimal leakage. They're extremely well built and have pretty darn good soundstage/3Dimaging for closed headphones. Probably one of the best. They tend to be praised as one of the best closed gaming headsets. 

Bothe the Pros and the Premiums at any resistance (32 --> 600) can be found for around 180. Check out Amazon or BH Photo. You will notice that the Pros are used often in recording studios because of the good sound and because its incredibly durable. The premiums are more comfortable though, with less clamping force. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #30 of 36
I have actually listened quite a bit too the M50s the HD595s and the AD700s and will agree with you I actually prefer the sound from the AD700s to both of these headphones. The problem is that the AD700s leak a TON of sound. and would not be suitable with that said the 595s have a decent sound too, they will also leak noise so it depends on how load you listen too your music. 

If I was you I would try the HD595s or as others are saying the 555s and mod them. They do leak a lot but from my experience nowhere near as much as the AD700s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back