Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Sennheiser HD595
Nov 30, 2010 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

always learning

Head-Fier
Your input is appreciated. I've 'perty much limited my search- ATH-M50 vs. HD595.

My use is unique- I wanna relax and fall asleep to music as I listen to my iPhone without disturbing my wife.  My preference is
1- Involving with
2- Accurate mid-range, a
3- 3-D sound-stage, and very
4- Comfortable

Any thoughts/insights are appreciated.  Also, should you have one of these for sale, kindly pm me.
Thanks from Seattle!

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 36
Thanks 1-Time, I understand that.  She's willing to let some sound slide past her ears
bigsmile_face.gif

Any thoughts on how these compare sound-wise?  Comfort?

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 36
Both are very comfortable. The 595 I would say has the edge. However, if you compare to a AD700...

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 36
I owned the HD595, but not the M50. Most would find the HD595 to be more comfy. To fall asleep with and for comfort, I would choose the HD595 without even considering the M50. But then I had the 120 Ohm version of the HD595 and plugged it into a Harman Kardon receiver.

FWIR, the M50 would sound more bass centric, and the HD595 would have a more open / bigger sound stage. How headphones sound can depend in large part on the equipment it's plugged into. 

Quote:
Any thoughts on how these compare sound-wise?  Comfort?

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 36
If your budget has the 595 I reccomend you get the 555 and the M50s (both of them)

The HD555 will sound almost identical to the HD595 with a simple 5 minute foam mod. (no cost, just remove a foam sticker thing inside the headphones) You can find more about it in these threads.

HD555+M50 should equal about 180-190. Which isn't too far off fromthe HD595 (which are a waste of money because of the mod I said above)

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 36
I say buy an HD555 and foam mod it, either that or get one of the newer Senns (HD558 or HD598). The M50 is very good though, and if quiet listening next to your wife is important then I'd say go for those, you can't really do much better for the same amount of money to be honest.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 36
I have owned the HD595 and AD700 at different times. I found the HD595 to be one of the most comfy headphones that I've owned. I found the AD700 to be uncomfortable and to fit improperly - and others have as well. 

Quote:
Both are very comfortable. The 595 I would say has the edge. However, if you compare to a AD700...

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 36

Quote:
I have owned the HD595 and AD700 at different times. I found the HD595 to be one of the most comfy headphones that I've owned. I found the AD700 to be uncomfortable and to fit improperly - and others have as well. 

Quote:

Bold = really bad sentence. Here's why :D

I've read lots of people who really liked the AD700 for comfort, they were bad on my head either. I don't own them but they were comfortable. Saying that you didn't like them and saying others thouyght the same means very little. You should at least say some people do enjoy their comfort or just not include the "and others have as well" cause it's a fallacy and I can't remember which fallacy it is.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 36
You don't want AD700. It's very open and leaks a lot of sound. Your wife will hear it if you two are in the same room

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 36
Right, many post about the AD700 being comfy - including those who ignorantly boast about how loosely (improperly) it fits on their head. Its fatal flaw for some is its lack of vertical swivels for the ear cups, which for me (and others) caused the ear pads to be loose above the ears AND apply an uncomfortable pressure on the jaw line, below the ears.

Almost as popular as the AD700 once was - were the various mods that were posted about improving its fit and comfort, which included:  irreparably bending the over head bars to resemble an upside down V shape, using rubber bands to draw the over head "wings" together, and rotating the ear pads a quarter turn. Google "AD700 mod" if interested. I found the AD700 to be the most "bass light" of all the full size open or closed headphones that I've owned, and thus not worth modifying and sold it.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Bold = really bad sentence. Here's why :D

I've read lots of people who really liked the AD700 for comfort, they were bad on my head either. I don't own them but they were comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back