Audio Technica ATH-M50 Review
Jan 16, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #121 of 178
I have had my M50s for a few days now and I am very pleased with them. Out of the box I listened to them for four hours straight. Mmmmmmm. I have had them playing continuously for a couple of days now to break them in. They sound splendid. Normally I listen to Shure Se 530 and SE 535 IEMs. These big cans are sweet. And only $109 new. Quite a deal. How much different / better do the 700s sound?

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #122 of 178
well newvegasbaby,

m50 does. m50 will deliver you the natural and neutral sound, the way it was recorded. you can enjoy it with mozart, beethoven, strauss, vivladi, tchaikovsky, and bach.   however for headphones/cans with emphasized-bass, hmmm. it would be too muddy on its low-mid frequency (500 to 200hz) so as the low frequency (250 to 35hz).

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #123 of 178

Quote:
well newvegasbaby,

m50 does. m50 will deliver you the natural and neutral sound, the way it was recorded. you can enjoy it with mozart, beethoven, strauss, vivladi, tchaikovsky, and bach.   however for headphones/cans with emphasized-bass, hmmm. it would be too muddy on its low-mid frequency (500 to 200hz) so as the low frequency (250 to 35hz).

Not that i would notice though , i think 20 dollar headphones sound terrfic 
dt880smile.png

I would certainly aprreciate the bass since i mostly listen to solo acoustic guitar 
Like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Igb5Yors4 - Andy Mckee 
Other than i listen to a lot of 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI5JQFdv8Fs - Frank Zappa
What about games , do you game with those headphones?

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #124 of 178
I was hoping to pick up a pair this weekend but the only version I can find locally is the straight cable version, so I'm trying to decide if I should do that or wait until I can get a pair with the coiled cable.  I'm going to be using them at work with my laptop which is on a stand (and not held down) so maybe that version would be better?  Coiled cables sometimes are so tightly coiled that you can't stretch them without causing problems. Any reason not to get the straight cable?

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #125 of 178

Quote:
I was hoping to pick up a pair this weekend but the only version I can find locally is the straight cable version, so I'm trying to decide if I should do that or wait until I can get a pair with the coiled cable.  I'm going to be using them at work with my laptop which is on a stand (and not held down) so maybe that version would be better?  Coiled cables sometimes are so tightly coiled that you can't stretch them without causing problems. Any reason not to get the straight cable?

im getting the coiled cable version because it´s better for portable use. For your use the stragith cable might be a better option

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #126 of 178

Quote:

I got the straight cable one and although the cord is kinda ridiculous in length, I coiled it to my ideal length. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #127 of 178
would it be possible to get a coiled cord?  More precisely, can you replace the straight cable without any major modification? 

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #129 of 178

Yeah, these are not "portable" for me.  If I'm going portable I use a pair of Etys.  I just can't use Etys at the office because always taking them in and out hurts my ears. 
Quote:

Quote:

im getting the coiled cable version because it´s better for portable use. For your use the stragith cable might be a better option

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #130 of 178

Quote:
Quote:
would it be possible to get a coiled cord?  More precisely, can you replace the straight cable without any major modification? 

They actually come in a coiled cord version also 

Oh I see, but considering that I already own the straight cord version, would it still be possible to modify to the coiled cable?
Thanks

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #132 of 178

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh I see, but considering that I already own the straight cord version, would it still be possible to modify to the coiled cable?
Thanks

You would have to do soldering work to put a new cable on, though it isn't that difficult.  But if you did that, you might as well just put a shorter, and better straight cable on.  5 feet is perfect for a cable.

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #133 of 178
I got these headphones for Christmas and completely agree w/ the OP.

I had not read any reviews of these headphones before, so I can say that my comments were totally unbiased.

Upon first hearing the headphones:

- Treble was WAY harsh.  Untolerably metallic and awful.  Over time this has settled down and I'm fine with it now.

- Mids are certainly recessed.  I would argue that it is much worse than the OP made it out to be.  I feel like vocals and mid range instruments always sound like they are pushed to the back of the room.  I probably have about 10 hours on my headphones now, and it hasn't improved.  In many pieces I feel like the most important parts of the music are being buried.

- Bass isn't what I expected.  I was hoping for punchy, fun bass.  Instead I feel like the bass here is just kind of big and wide.  This also results in an overall "thick" or muddy sound for the headphones.  

Don't get me wrong - for $100 these are quite good, but I really need a crispier, warmer headphone.  I'll take my $60 Grado SR-60's over these any day.

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #134 of 178

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

You would have to do soldering work to put a new cable on, though it isn't that difficult.  But if you did that, you might as well just put a shorter, and better straight cable on.  5 feet is perfect for a cable.

Sounds like a plan =)

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #135 of 178

Quote:
I got these headphones for Christmas and completely agree w/ the OP.

I had not read any reviews of these headphones before, so I can say that my comments were totally unbiased.

Upon first hearing the headphones:

- Treble was WAY harsh.  Untolerably metallic and awful.  Over time this has settled down and I'm fine with it now.

- Mids are certainly recessed.  I would argue that it is much worse than the OP made it out to be.  I feel like vocals and mid range instruments always sound like they are pushed to the back of the room.  I probably have about 10 hours on my headphones now, and it hasn't improved.  In many pieces I feel like the most important parts of the music are being buried.

- Bass isn't what I expected.  I was hoping for punchy, fun bass.  Instead I feel like the bass here is just kind of big and wide.  This also results in an overall "thick" or muddy sound for the headphones.  

Don't get me wrong - for $100 these are quite good, but I really need a crispier, warmer headphone.  I'll take my $60 Grado SR-60's over these any day.

First, congrats on your new M50's.
Second, this is exactly what they sound like before break-in. I felt the same way and was not all too pleased, but with the proper break-in time of 25-50 hours (pink-noise or just a variety of musical styles, just slightly above listening level), these beauties really come into their own.
The bass will tighten and become very well defined, and the highs will lose their strident character.

Best of luck.

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back