Audio Technica ATH-M50 Review
Jan 17, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #136 of 178
tried an extended audition today from Burson HA160 D, really impressive for the price.

This is a very dynamic headphone that does not sound closed at all.  Good clear soundstage and separation.  The music has a real shape to it.

Treble is the letdown.  But in every other area they beat my k272 HD.

These would be a really good closed Grado alternative.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #139 of 178

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
would it be possible to get a coiled cord?  More precisely, can you replace the straight cable without any major modification? 

They actually come in a coiled cord version also 

Oh I see, but considering that I already own the straight cord version, would it still be possible to modify to the coiled cable?
Thanks

You would have to do soldering work to put a new cable on, though it isn't that difficult.  But if you did that, you might as well just put a shorter, and better straight cable on.  5 feet is perfect for a cable.

Sounds like a plan =)

I have the coiled version, but if i were you i'd solder a jack instead of the cord directly out of the cup, i''l put a female 3.5 mm with the jack in the hole where the cable is right now in the cup. so you could use any 3.5 mm male to male extension.
MJ-2508.jpg

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #140 of 178
Did you try them with an amp that has bass boost? Even with the E5 I am able to make the bass sound nice and thumpy. Without an amp though, I completely agree, not the bass I was expecting.

Quote:
I got these headphones for Christmas and completely agree w/ the OP.

I had not read any reviews of these headphones before, so I can say that my comments were totally unbiased.

Upon first hearing the headphones:

- Treble was WAY harsh.  Untolerably metallic and awful.  Over time this has settled down and I'm fine with it now.

- Mids are certainly recessed.  I would argue that it is much worse than the OP made it out to be.  I feel like vocals and mid range instruments always sound like they are pushed to the back of the room.  I probably have about 10 hours on my headphones now, and it hasn't improved.  In many pieces I feel like the most important parts of the music are being buried.

- Bass isn't what I expected.  I was hoping for punchy, fun bass.  Instead I feel like the bass here is just kind of big and wide.  This also results in an overall "thick" or muddy sound for the headphones.  

Don't get me wrong - for $100 these are quite good, but I really need a crispier, warmer headphone.  I'll take my $60 Grado SR-60's over these any day.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #141 of 178

Quote:
I got these headphones for Christmas and completely agree w/ the OP.

I had not read any reviews of these headphones before, so I can say that my comments were totally unbiased.

Upon first hearing the headphones:

- Treble was WAY harsh.  Untolerably metallic and awful.  Over time this has settled down and I'm fine with it now.

- Mids are certainly recessed.  I would argue that it is much worse than the OP made it out to be.  I feel like vocals and mid range instruments always sound like they are pushed to the back of the room.  I probably have about 10 hours on my headphones now, and it hasn't improved.  In many pieces I feel like the most important parts of the music are being buried.

- Bass isn't what I expected.  I was hoping for punchy, fun bass.  Instead I feel like the bass here is just kind of big and wide.  This also results in an overall "thick" or muddy sound for the headphones.  

Don't get me wrong - for $100 these are quite good, but I really need a crispier, warmer headphone.  I'll take my $60 Grado SR-60's over these any day.

Hey, if you are using PC, maybe you should check this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478476/the-audio-technica-m50-studio-monitor-appreciation-thread/405#post_7204223

I've also got MS1, which are currently totally unused, because of M50 abilities :)

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #142 of 178

Quote:
I have the coiled version, but if i were you i'd solder a jack instead of the cord directly out of the cup, i''l put a female 3.5 mm with the jack in the hole where the cable is right now in the cup. so you could use any 3.5 mm male to male extension.
MJ-2508.jpg

How would that connector manage to fit in/on the M50?  It looks rather large to me.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #143 of 178

Quote:
First, congrats on your new M50's.
Second, this is exactly what they sound like before break-in. I felt the same way and was not all too pleased, but with the proper break-in time of 25-50 hours (pink-noise or just a variety of musical styles, just slightly above listening level), these beauties really come into their own.
The bass will tighten and become very well defined, and the highs will lose their strident character.

Best of luck.

shane

Good to know.  I'll give them some more time.  I'm very skeptical of most claims of "burn-in", but it can't hurt.  I would think that after a few hours most headphones will be as good as they get.  My guess is that people just get used to the sound.   Has anyone ever A/B'ed duplicate sets of headphones before and after burn-in?

Quote:
Did you try them with an amp that has bass boost? Even with the E5 I am able to make the bass sound nice and thumpy. Without an amp though, I completely agree, not the bass I was expecting.

Yes, I'm currently powering them with a Fiio E7.  I've tried them with both Bass level 0 and 1.  It just kind of depends on the song.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the E7 is a great match for these headphones.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #144 of 178
Yea I don't have the E7 so I wouldn't know, but even the E5 did pretty well with boosting the bass. I think the E11 looks very promising for those of us not using a computer as a source though.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #145 of 178

Quote:
Yea I don't have the E7 so I wouldn't know, but even the E5 did pretty well with boosting the bass. I think the E11 looks very promising for those of us not using a computer as a source though.

x2 on the E11, and i waiting also to see the price of the X3 hopefully the combo would be something i can afore.
and hopefully this would do good enough with the M50 and the Denon hp700 and my afore coming bought

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #146 of 178

Quote:
Quote:
MJ-2508.jpg

How would that connector manage to fit in/on the M50?  It looks rather large to me.

its very small, look at the hole (jack) in there, is the same size as the ones in ipods or any other player.
there are some with the soldering parts to the back, more convenient,

here is one i put in some koss headphones

they could fit totally OK in the part where the cable comes out of the M50s cup. unless there is something blocking the way, which i dont think (have never open mine) usually the cable behind the cup as a little tie to prevent pulling the driver. this tie would be about the same size of the jack. If you are gonna open to recable, wouldnt hurt to try imo.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #147 of 178
that is great news! I will most definitely give that go when i open my cans.  Thanks for all your advice 

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #149 of 178
I will as soon as i get the supplies =), but I'll be heading back to college soon, so i cannot promise it will happen soon 
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #150 of 178
i read your review. did you realise these headphones are designed for mixing/monitoring in a studio environment? which mite explain the recessed mids. You should get a generally flat response across the board

Users who are viewing this thread

Back