Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
May 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #122 of 699
  Sorry, mate, I'm not that technical about headphones. I dont know, nor do I care whether they have some flaw at 4K, but I know what I'm hearing.

I have both the Shure and the ATH with me and I have compared them many times so far, spent almost all day yesterday doing that.
It is very easy to notice that the SRH550 are the ones with better clarity and more natural sound, the M40x just sound muddy and kind of fake in comparison.

Now, I don't doubt that there are better headphones than the SRH440/550, but the M40x are not among those, unfortunately. 

I tried those Shures last year and expected crap since the build quality is almost poor, but the sound quality was much better than expected.  Strangely "un-bassy" for a headphone with "DJ" in the name.  I was thinking of getting one again later and reinforcing its build and spend more time with it.

I found M40x underwhelming as you have as well with its stock earpads.  With Brainwavz HM5 pads, however, it becomes substantially better.  It still isn't as well-balanced as SRH550 if I recall the Shure's sound correctly, it is a little bit bassier, but at least it isn't as muddy and closed-in as stock anymore.

These cans don't change much with source. Sigh. Don't blame it on that.

At the end of the day you're just limited by how good a headphone you can really get around 100 bucks.

I think that there's plenty of good cans at $100, but you have to take music preferences more into account to get the "best bang for the buck" for you versus pricier headphones.

May 9, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #123 of 699

I tried those Shures last year and expected crap since the build quality is almost poor, but the sound quality was much better than expected.  Strangely "un-bassy" for a headphone with "DJ" in the name.  I was thinking of getting one again later and reinforcing its build and spend more time with it.

I found M40x underwhelming as you have as well with its stock earpads.  With Brainwavz HM5 pads, however, it becomes substantially better.  It still isn't as well-balanced as SRH550 if I recall the Shure's sound correctly, it is a little bit bassier, but at least it isn't as muddy and closed-in as stock anymore.

Yes, the build quality of SRH550 isn't that great, but they are the best sounding of all the headphones I've owned.
Thanks for the advice about the HM5 pads, but I think I'll just gift the M40x to my sister and get the SRH440 for me, as I should have done in the first place :)

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #126 of 699

I thought that's called comfortable...

Same here, but I would never say that about M40x, or my hair is too thin.  HD650, HD558, K701, K601, DT770, and T90 I eventually "forget" about while wearing them.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #127 of 699
hey there, guys!
sorry to bother you with a question as old as hell.

I am setting up a little studio for myself.
I got M-Audio M-Track audio interface (which is the same Alesis iOs 2 Express).
I got some intstruments and mics.
So, i need headphones that cost 100 bucks or less that will be suitable for mixing and monitoring needs.
I narrowed my choice options to AKG K240 Studio and ATH-M40X (also, we can include Senns HD588).
So, i wonder, will my audio interface be able to power K240 enough so i would get as much of that "good" sound as possible? Same question about other headphones.
And, i also we bill very happy to hear your opinions about capabilities of these headphones for mixing/monitoring purposes (you know, i should get as flat as possible, but it is almost impossible in that price range). 
Thanks in advance :wink:

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #128 of 699
  hey there, guys!
sorry to bother you with a question as old as hell.

I am setting up a little studio for myself.
I got M-Audio M-Track audio interface (which is the same Alesis iOs 2 Express).
I got some intstruments and mics.
So, i need headphones that cost 100 bucks or less that will be suitable for mixing and monitoring needs.
I narrowed my choice options to AKG K240 Studio and ATH-M40X (also, we can include Senns HD588).
So, i wonder, will my audio interface be able to power K240 enough so i would get as much of that "good" sound as possible? Same question about other headphones.
And, i also we bill very happy to hear your opinions about capabilities of these headphones for mixing/monitoring purposes (you know, i should get as flat as possible, but it is almost impossible in that price range). 
Thanks in advance :wink:

If you can't provide a spec on the maximum power output in mW of the interface at a specific impedance load, then I can't tell you exactly how loud either of the cans will get. The 558 is the highest performer in terms of sound quality of the 3 you mentioned.

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #129 of 699
  If you can't provide a spec on the maximum power output in mW of the interface at a specific impedance load, then I can't tell you exactly how loud either of the cans will get. The 558 is the highest performer in terms of sound quality of the 3 you mentioned.

there is a main problem, i can't find power specs for this sound card. Nor in a manual, nor on the site. Seems like it is the main problem that manufacturers do not specify Headphone Amp Output power sometimes :frowning2:((
The only thing that i can find is the specs for an audio card that are much older, i guess its lower in 1 class than mine.
And here is MIC out specs for that card

Headphone Outputs

1. Max Output (@ 32-ohms): -2 dBV (0.8 Vrms)

2. Signal to Noise Ratio: -102dB @ 48kHz (A-weighted)

3. Dynamic Range: 102dB @ 48kHz (A-weighted)

4. THD + N: 0.0395%, 1kHz, -1dBFS @ 48kHz

5. Frequency Response: -0.20/+0.05dB, 22Hz to 22kHz @ 48kHz

6. Crosstalk: -80dB, 1kHz, channel-to-channel

7. Output Impedance: Less than 1 ohm

8. Headphone Impedance: 32 to 600 ohms recommended

So, it looks strange, OUT impendance less than 1 ohm. And if we will look at the last line, HEADPHONE impendance, it seems like they are recommend headphones in that range and my headphones (my future headphones) fall in this range.
But that specifications, they are really look strange )
So, if i would have audio interface with that specs, will i be able use my headphones at full (or close to it)?.
And we should remember, that i have a card a little bit better, then this :)

And about Senns, it seems like they don't add much colour to souns? or am i wrong? ) almost every phones does, but...

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #130 of 699
  there is a main problem, i can't find power specs for this sound card. Nor in a manual, nor on the site. Seems like it is the main problem that manufacturers do not specify Headphone Amp Output power sometimes :frowning2:((
The only thing that i can find is the specs for an audio card that are much older, i guess its lower in 1 class than mine.
And here is MIC out specs for that card

So, it looks strange, OUT impendance less than 1 ohm. And if we will look at the last line, HEADPHONE impendance, it seems like they are recommend headphones in that range and my headphones (my future headphones) fall in this range.
But that specifications, they are really look strange )
So, if i would have audio interface with that specs, will i be able use my headphones at full (or close to it)?.
And we should remember, that i have a card a little bit better, then this :)

And about Senns, it seems like they don't add much colour to souns? or am i wrong? ) almost every phones does, but...

Output impedance less than 1 ohm is a good thing, not a bad thing. That has absolutely nothing to do with the impedance of the cans.

"Supported" impedances for headphones means absolutely nothing at all. Always, always, always ignore that spec.

0.8 V at 32 ohms is quite weak, weaker than my Xonar DGX's 1 V output.

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #131 of 699
  Output impedance less than 1 ohm is a good thing, not a bad thing. That has absolutely nothing to do with the impedance of the cans.

"Supported" impedances for headphones means absolutely nothing at all. Always, always, always ignore that spec.

0.8 V at 32 ohms is quite weak, weaker than my Xonar DGX's 1 V output.

well, i ve read that you can use 1/8 rule for impedances sometimes. I guess you ve heard about that. Your  card's output impedance should be no higher then 1/8 of your headphone impedance. So, that means that less then 1 is more than enough )
And yes, then i red about dBmW and dBv and started to look somewhere else and stumbled on some calculator that calculates output based on headphones sensitivity and impedance and on audio interface output etc etc.
Anyways, you think that 0.8 wouldn't be able to provide enough power?
And i still have to keep in mind that i have higher class audio interface, but still for home use.

Also, my card was made in 2013 and was designed for home studios it is very strange that it won't be able to power modern headphones (well, these three types of headphones).

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #132 of 699
actually, i found that most modern USB audio interface are reliable to power 35-70 ohm headphones, but no higher. I don't know how much reliable that sources, but i ve seen that messages around. hm...

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #133 of 699
  actually, i found that most modern USB audio interface are reliable to power 35-70 ohm headphones, but no higher. I don't know how much reliable that sources, but i ve seen that messages around. hm...

Impedance does not imply a specific sensitivity.

well, i ve read that you can use 1/8 rule for impedances sometimes. I guess you ve heard about that. Your  card's output impedance should be no higher then 1/8 of your headphone impedance. So, that means that less then 1 is more than enough )
And yes, then i red about dBmW and dBv and started to look somewhere else and stumbled on some calculator that calculates output based on headphones sensitivity and impedance and on audio interface output etc etc.
Anyways, you think that 0.8 wouldn't be able to provide enough power?
And i still have to keep in mind that i have higher class audio interface, but still for home use.

Also, my card was made in 2013 and was designed for home studios it is very strange that it won't be able to power modern headphones (well, these three types of headphones).

The 1/8th rule has to do with headphone responses being at least critically damped, so yes less than 1 ohm is very good. If you're talking about the link I think you're talking about, then you'll recognize that P = V^2 / R, which would indicate that with the spec you provided, that interface will give you 20 mW of power. Compare that to a Magni 2, which will give you 1.2 W, or 1200 mW of power into 32 ohms.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #135 of 699
  Impedance does not imply a specific sensitivity.

The 1/8th rule has to do with headphone responses being at least critically damped, so yes less than 1 ohm is very good. If you're talking about the link I think you're talking about, then you'll recognize that P = V^2 / R, which would indicate that with the spec you provided, that interface will give you 20 mW of power. Compare that to a Magni 2, which will give you 1.2 W, or 1200 mW of power into 32 ohms.

So, what impedances and sensitivities should i look for in headphones?)
If we will talk about sony mdr7506 with 24 ohm and 104 db?
will it be ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back