Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Jan 24, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #1,036 of 1,104
  i heard some people say the im70s sound like the m50.

after recently acquiring the m50x.... i gotta say i don't think so

the im70s are much warmer and fuller in the midrange. 

i also find the m50x midrange to be recessed compared to the im70 which is much more forward

also the bass on the m50x digs deeper and is not as PUNCHY as the im70s 

treblewise i think their in opposite directions with the m50x being brighter (to the point where some find it harsh... i don't find it so though), and the im70s to be very smooth up top (if we're going to extremes just for better visualization, you can say the im70 sounds dull in comparison)

I agree the sound signatures aren't so similar - I thought so when I auditioned them but taking them home I realized the difference. I never really considered the IM70 to be dull compared to M50 - it does roll off but in a way where it extends quite well. M50 on the other hand has a shimmery upper-mid-lower-treble peak

I've also read that the IM70 sounds more similar to the MSR7 but without any tip-rolling I'd say they sound quite different. MSR7 is fuller in the midrange but doesn't sound as warm as the M50 or IM70. The soundstage as a result isn't quite as wide or immersive at first, but it has a lot of depth and layering than either the M50 or IM70. Only if you use certain eartips (eg. Philips SHE eartips) will the IM70 sound much more like the MSR7.

So my hunt still goes on for a headphone that sounds like the IM70. I thought the Sony MDR-100AAP sounded a bit like it but with the midrange taken away.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #1,037 of 1,104
I agree the sound signatures aren't so similar - I thought so when I auditioned them but taking them home I realized the difference. I never really considered the IM70 to be dull compared to M50 - it does roll off but in a way where it extends quite well. M50 on the other hand has a shimmery upper-mid-lower-treble peak

I've also read that the IM70 sounds more similar to the MSR7 but without any tip-rolling I'd say they sound quite different. MSR7 is fuller in the midrange but doesn't sound as warm as the M50 or IM70. The soundstage as a result isn't quite as wide or immersive at first, but it has a lot of depth and layering than either the M50 or IM70. Only if you use certain eartips (eg. Philips SHE eartips) will the IM70 sound much more like the MSR7.

So my hunt still goes on for a headphone that sounds like the IM70. I thought the Sony MDR-100AAP sounded a bit like it but with the midrange taken away.

I have and love the im70, love the sound signature. While they may not sound exactly the same, some headphones that i thought had a similar signature are the Nad hp50, akg k267, beyerdynamic cop, Sony mdr 100aap, audio technica ath-es88. I also quite liked the ath-im02, not as bassy or as warm but has the AT house sound with better detail and clarity. I don't know what your budget is but when it comes to the im70 type signature the Audioquest nighthawk takes the cake imo, similar to the im70 to my ears but much smoother and more accurate.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #1,038 of 1,104
I have and love the im70, love the sound signature. While they may not sound exactly the same, some headphones that i thought had a similar signature are the Nad hp50, akg k267, beyerdynamic cop, Sony mdr 100aap, audio technica ath-es88. I also quite liked the ath-im02, not as bassy or as warm but has the AT house sound with better detail and clarity. I don't know what your budget is but when it comes to the im70 type signature the Audioquest nighthawk takes the cake imo, similar to the im70 to my ears but much smoother and more accurate.

I've heard the NAD hp50 compared to the PM-3. Dunno how the PM-3 compares to the im70 though.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,041 of 1,104
The pm-3 doesn't sound as warm to my ears and doesn't have the same bass hump. I thought it was more neutral overall with a bit of a metallic sound to it.

I'll be able to compare tomorrow! I've had the im70s forever (and I'm serious when I say that I only use them for binaural beat meditation) and so it'll be easy to compare them myself.

By the way, if you do binaural beat meditation, especially Profound Meditation Program 2.0 by iAwake, the im70 will blow your mind.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #1,042 of 1,104
Thanks all for the your valuable comments/suggestions..

@FYLegend
Regarding your question .. The channel imbalance happen with bass being more prominent on right ear than on left ... this is very evident with songs which has more instruments playing in the background or songs with more dynamic range ...when imagining happens in my brain when listening to songs I could listen bass coming predominately from right side, and I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the earphones itself.. cause I also have MDR-1A and same set of songs plays with right set of instrument separation ...  

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,043 of 1,104

Wow, that's weird to hear the IM70 and MSR7 compared like that. The MSR7 are more similar to the CKR series. The IM70 is really unique among a lot of the AT stuff I've heard. From what I've heard the HP50 that was suggested may be good, but I haven't gotten the chance to listen myself. I think that might give you a nice IM70 like sound though, based on how others describe it.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,044 of 1,104
  Wow, that's weird to hear the IM70 and MSR7 compared like that. The MSR7 are more similar to the CKR series. The IM70 is really unique among a lot of the AT stuff I've heard. From what I've heard the HP50 that was suggested may be good, but I haven't gotten the chance to listen myself. I think that might give you a nice IM70 like sound though, based on how others describe it.

Nope, HP50 is nowhere like IM70. I have listened Takstar Pro 80 briefly and it sounded very close to IM70 if my memory serves me well. Not sure though.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,045 of 1,104
Nope, HP50 is nowhere like IM70. I have listened Takstar Pro 80 briefly and it sounded very close to IM70 if my memory serves me well. Not sure though.
I recall someone posting a FR graph of the Pro 80 that showed they were quite similar with a W shaped curve. the mdr100aap apparently has a W shape but I found its midrange lacking even compared to the M50.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #1,046 of 1,104
  Thank you guys for your suggestions and recommendation,

How about ATH IM02, when compared to CKR9? also I just went to twitter and found out that audio technica has just announced three new models for march release - ATH E70, E50, E40? should I wait then for these new models?

T20 m not considering though RHA has refined the sound quality on these, but still not sure if there is any improvement in the soundstage when stacked along audio technica's IEMs...

I highly doubt the E40 has better SQ than the CKR series which are priced much higher and lack a detachable cable. 
I trust AT wouldnt kill its own products.

However , the E40s seem like a good starting point for anyone wanting to try the so called "Dual Phase Push-Pull Drivers"

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #1,047 of 1,104
@seanwee Thanks for your reply, yes it is just that I'm keeping my options open, and by the looks of it, it won't be long when Audio Technica will launch it's new product line, that's y I'm waiting for it and I may even opt for E70 or else I would go for CKR9 ...

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,048 of 1,104
  @seanwee Thanks for your reply, yes it is just that I'm keeping my options open, and by the looks of it, it won't be long when Audio Technica will launch it's new product line, that's y I'm waiting for it and I may even opt for E70 or else I would go for CKR9 ...

If you get the E70, do give your impressions on the sound.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,049 of 1,104
I've broken my IM70s. Anyone have any ideas how to fix them (or how to get them repaired/replaced with/without warranty?).

The sound started intermittently cutting out in the left ear, so I tried unplugging and replugging the cable. In so doing, I bent one of the pins inside the left earphone. While I was attempting to straighten the pin again, it snapped off. You can see the missing pin in the photo.

Is there any DIY fix available for this, or any way I can get Audio Technica to repair it?

I have seen people referring to the same problem elsewhere but couldn't work out if they'd found any solution. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,050 of 1,104
  I've broken my IM70s. Anyone have any ideas how to fix them (or how to get them repaired/replaced with/without warranty?).

The sound started intermittently cutting out in the left ear, so I tried unplugging and replugging the cable. In so doing, I bent one of the pins inside the left earphone. While I was attempting to straighten the pin again, it snapped off. You can see the missing pin in the photo.

Is there any DIY fix available for this, or any way I can get Audio Technica to repair it?

I have seen people referring to the same problem elsewhere but couldn't work out if they'd found any solution. 

Oh my lord what have you done..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back