Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Dec 20, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,021 of 1,104
But hey, I'm just trying to share my experience here and encourage others to give the JVC woodies a try. If they like it, good for them, otherwise there's still plenty of others to chose from, such as the CKR-9. Just thought others might enjoy some other alternatives coming from someone who enjoyed the IM70 sound.

I have to agree with you on this one .Its always the best to try out as many alternatives as possible before making a purchase as darker/brighter , coloured/neutral sound are all relative to what a person has heard before.

For example: A person coming from a bass heavy earphone would consider a less bass heavy one as neutral. And a person who comes from stock earphones to bose earphones would consider them a massive improvement as they have not tried anything else.

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,022 of 1,104
Also, budget tube amps are a gamble. The QC is all over the place, not to mention you lose all portability with it. With the 1200s, it's just plug and play. No fuss, no drama.

I got myself a budget tube amp (err... or was it a hybrid amp....?) From a company called Bravo Audio. The sound quality is great for its price (around 100usd) . The QC is all over the place ,Yes. But you can get one with great value by doing a little research 1st.

As for portability, if you want tube amp sound on the go..... then you have no other choice than using the JVCs. NEVER use tube amp sound effects *cough* samsung *cough* as they sound nothing like an actual tube amp.

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,023 of 1,104
I have to agree with you on this one .Its always the best to try out as many alternatives as possible before making a purchase as darker/brighter , coloured/neutral sound are all relative to what a person has heard before.

For example: A person coming from a bass heavy earphone would consider a less bass heavy one as neutral. And a person who comes from stock earphones to bose earphones would consider them a massive improvement as they have not tried anything else.

Yep, in the end it's always best to try the equipment in person before purchase if at all possible. 

I got myself a budget tube amp (err... or was it a hybrid amp....?) From a company called Bravo Audio. The sound quality is great for its price (around 100usd) . The QC is all over the place ,Yes. But you can get one with great value by doing a little research 1st.

As for portability, if you want tube amp sound on the go..... then you have no other choice than using the JVCs. NEVER use tube amp sound effects *cough* samsung *cough* as they sound nothing like an actual tube amp.

I've tried some budget tube amps. Some are great fun to listen to, but in the end, I prefer the simplicity of the JVC with it's ability to impart a rich, well-textured and smooth colouration to my music in good detail without much fuss and hassle. Source > Headphone. Done.

No comments regarding the samsung/any other device's sound effects. I generally leave the equalizer off but real tubes themselves have a broad spectrum of very varied sound. Good for those who like to fiddle around their equipment and has money to spend but less practical in the long run. It all boils down to personal preference in the end.

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #1,024 of 1,104
Hello,

I'm in need of changing my IEMs, cause the channel imbalance is bothering me a lot on IM70, or else this IEM is perfect for me, with wide soundstage and right amount of Bass, I don't even mind if I need to buy another set of IM70 in case Audio Technica has fixed this issue with later batches of IM70, but I'm also ready to shell out upto $200 in which m thinking of RHA T10, after reading the reviews of T10 I could make out soundstage isnt it's strong point. A few months ago I was in similar situation and someone had suggested to buy CKR9 which I got to listen to before buying and I was bit disappointed again when comparing the soundstage between IM70 and CKR9, so I dropped the plan to buy IEM.

This time around I have to find another set of IEM which has soundstage as good as IM70 or more(which I know is asking too much out of "In ears") ..Bass is my second decider point ...

Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,025 of 1,104
  Hello,

I'm in need of changing my IEMs, cause the channel imbalance is bothering me a lot on IM70, or else this IEM is perfect for me, with wide soundstage and right amount of Bass, I don't even mind if I need to buy another set of IM70 in case Audio Technica has fixed this issue with later batches of IM70, but I'm also ready to shell out upto $200 in which m thinking of RHA T10, after reading the reviews of T10 I could make out soundstage isnt it's strong point. A few months ago I was in similar situation and someone had suggested to buy CKR9 which I got to listen to before buying and I was bit disappointed again when comparing the soundstage between IM70 and CKR9, so I dropped the plan to buy IEM.

This time around I have to find another set of IEM which has soundstage as good as IM70 or more(which I know is asking too much out of "In ears") ..Bass is my second decider point ...

Thanks!

The soundstage on CKR9 shouldn't be narrower than the IM70. Are you sure your friend's CKR9 was the genuine one? Besides I can recommend Havi B3 Pro 1 for much wider soundstage and right amount of bass if only you have a powerful source or amp. Warn you that you may find the bass lacking  after IM70 as B3 doesn't have too much mid-bass as on the IM70. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,026 of 1,104
Thanks @ozkan for your suggestion.

Yes they were definitely genuine, maybe I didn't spend too much time with it .. I could again give another shot at CKR9, but with B3 if the mid bass isnt anything like IM70 then maybe I wouldn't like it, but apart from CKR9 is there any other IEMs which fits my criteria, just checking or else I'll order CKR9 .. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,027 of 1,104
I use these things almost exclusively for listening to my binaural beat meditation programs and for that purpose, they are mindblowing. I was getting crinkling sounds in the left ear due to the way the tips interacted with my ear canal, but now that I've got large twist tips, that's completely gone.

For music, I'd much rather use my HE-500 and the open-backed sound they provide.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,028 of 1,104
  Hello,

Thanks!

I tried the RHA T20 and it's been a while but I do remember thinking to myself 'I'll take the ATH IM70 over these overpriced hunk of metal any day.' Then again, it could just be the units that I tried. Owner said it's brand new though.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,029 of 1,104
I tried the RHA T20 and it's been a while but I do remember thinking to myself 'I'll take the ATH IM70 over these overpriced hunk of metal any day.' Then again, it could just be the units that I tried. Owner said it's brand new though.

With less than 20-30 h burn in the t20 can sound a bit weird. I remember them sounding a bit confused at first especially in the treble area. After a day they were liquid gold. Love them ( but honestly thought, What! At first listen.

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,030 of 1,104
Thank you guys for your suggestions and recommendation,

How about ATH IM02, when compared to CKR9? also I just went to twitter and found out that audio technica has just announced three new models for march release - ATH E70, E50, E40? should I wait then for these new models?

T20 m not considering though RHA has refined the sound quality on these, but still not sure if there is any improvement in the soundstage when stacked along audio technica's IEMs...

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #1,031 of 1,104
Thank you guys for your suggestions and recommendation,

How about ATH IM02, when compared to CKR9? also I just went to twitter and found out that audio technica has just announced three new models for march release - ATH E70, E50, E40? should I wait then for these new models?

T20 m not considering though RHA has refined the sound quality on these, but still not sure if there is any improvement in the soundstage when stacked along audio technica's IEMs...

I'd suggest waiting for the new models. E40 might be better than IM70 or CKR9. IM02 isn't too different from IM70 as far as I remember. CKR9 on the other hand has the best bass I've heard from an IEM if you are into it.

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,032 of 1,104
With less than 20-30 h burn in the t20 can sound a bit weird. I remember them sounding a bit confused at first especially in the treble area. After a day they were liquid gold. Love them ( but honestly thought, What! At first listen.

The pair I tried definitely has at least a week of playtime and still sounded What - the bass to low mids sounded like someone put a cloth over them while the treble is hardly improved at all (it was in treble filter configuration). I'm also a burn-in skeptic so definitely not something I'd recommend. Sorry, RHA. But hopefully others have a better experience with them.

The one thing I do like about IM70 is the weight and fullness of sound behind them, whether be it lows or highs. Wonder if that has to do with the dual driver configuration they have.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #1,033 of 1,104
The pair I tried definitely has at least a week of playtime and still sounded What - the bass to low mids sounded like someone put a cloth over them while the treble is hardly improved at all (it was in treble filter configuration). I'm also a burn-in skeptic so definitely not something I'd recommend. Sorry, RHA. But hopefully others have a better experience with them.

The one thing I do like about IM70 is the weight and fullness of sound behind them, whether be it lows or highs. Wonder if that has to do with the dual driver configuration they have.

That's indeed weird. Am pretty sure that must have been a defect pair as these boy's layered and precise bass is one of their strengths. Am also a burn in sceptic - but the first time I experienced it myself very pronounced. But you never know, could have been brain burn in too, who knows. Or these are just not for you, audio is a very personal hobby.

Enjoy the Audio Technica!! Looking forward to trying them one day as well.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #1,034 of 1,104
I'd suggest waiting for the new models. E40 might be better than IM70 or CKR9. IM02 isn't too different from IM70 as far as I remember. CKR9 on the other hand has the best bass I've heard from an IEM if you are into it.

Hmm - from what AT is indicating the E40 will have a sound similar to the M series. I don't take frequency response as a final but I'm suspecting that these might be bass-light from their specs... IM70 sounds a bit like M50 but more W-shaped with tapered-off highs, or they can be described similar to MSR7 but warmer and darker. 
  Hello,

Thanks!

What exactly is this imbalance issue you're noticing? Have you tried different eartips?

The first pair I had eventually had some imbalance after a month, but I suspected the driver was damaged (but I never experienced driver flex on this unit). The next units I tried had driver flex on the right ear and while the sound itself seemed balanced, the pressure on my right ear led me to think that side was more congested.

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,035 of 1,104
  Hmm - from what AT is indicating the E40 will have a sound similar to the M series. I don't take frequency response as a final but I'm suspecting that these might be bass-light from their specs... IM70 sounds a bit like M50 but more W-shaped with tapered-off highs, or they can be described similar to MSR7 but warmer and darker. 
What exactly is this imbalance issue you're noticing? Have you tried different eartips?

The first pair I had eventually had some imbalance after a month, but I suspected the driver was damaged (but I never experienced driver flex on this unit). The next units I tried had driver flex on the right ear and while the sound itself seemed balanced, the pressure on my right ear led me to think that side was more congested.

i heard some people say the im70s sound like the m50.

after recently acquiring the m50x.... i gotta say i don't think so

the im70s are much warmer and fuller in the midrange. 

i also find the m50x midrange to be recessed compared to the im70 which is much more forward

also the bass on the m50x digs deeper and is not as PUNCHY as the im70s 

treblewise i think their in opposite directions with the m50x being brighter (to the point where some find it harsh... i don't find it so though), and the im70s to be very smooth up top (if we're going to extremes just for better visualization, you can say the im70 sounds dull in comparison)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back