Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 Fakes Hit The Streets.
Mar 21, 2009 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Stevesebastianb

500+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I saw for the first time some Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 fakes hit the streets. These are in fact very easy to detect, they are not wood at all! The ear cups are wood grain imprinted plastic and the ear pads are poor and do not look at all like the real ear pads. The wood grain on the plastic looks like typical wood grain imprint on Formica! Beware, you have been warned, so if you see in the days and months ahead cheap Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 for sale on the web or on eBay, stay away for these are most likely the fakes. I did not go and listen to them so can't comment. The cans simply look cheap and nasty.

frown.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 60
Well, there go my plans. Grr, this is unsettling; I actually wanted to buy these in a year. I could always buy from here of course though.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 60
Thanks for the heads up! I just purchased one from Ebay and waiting for it to arrive. He seemed like a legit vendor and told me it was authentic and not a replica of any sort. I guess I'll find out for myself when it arrives and post some pics of them.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 60
There were some pics of the fake ESW9's in the portable forum, too.
So if you want to see what to look out for, check there.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevesebastianb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I saw for the first time some Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 fakes hit the streets. These are in fact very easy to detect, they are not wood at all! The ear cups are wood grain imprinted plastic and the ear pads are poor and do not look at all like the real ear pads. The wood grain on the plastic looks like typical wood garin imprint on Formica! Beware, you have been warned, so if you see in the days and months ahead cheap Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 for say on the web or on eBay, stay away for these are most likely the fakes. I did not go and listen to them so can't comment. The cans simply look cheap and nasty.

frown.gif

Where in Hong Kong did you see them? Mong Kok markets?

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where in Hong Kong did you see them? Mong Kok markets?

^^^ Widespread - Ap Liu Street & Mong Kok!

frown.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevesebastianb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ Widespread - Ap Liu Street & Mong Kok!

frown.gif

Oh :/ I'll try and spot them out next time I go to Hong Kong
tongue.gif
(Next Feb hopefully)
There might be some in many backstreets, such as Sheung shui and Tai Po.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope to read a comparison of these fakes vs Real. It's amazing what counterfitters can do with audio now days.

^^^ I wonder who will be brave enough to buy a pair of these fakes to do the comparison? The fakes I saw, you could literally spot effortlessly, I didn't bother to listen to them. Sooner or later someone out there will buy a pair.

popcorn.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since it's 8AM in Hong Kong, do you think you could go into the markets later and take a few photos if possible?
tongue.gif

^^^Nope, the shops aren't open until about noon and it's to far to go just to take a couple of photos.
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back