Audio-Technica ATH-EM7 - A Rich Man's KSC-35?
Nov 6, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #61 of 103
Originally posted by Magicthyse
OH I SAY!!!

dribble...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
LOL ! I was waiting for that
biggrin.gif

They do look interesting though...

You know, I've been listening to these phones religiously for the last few days...playing with placement and tone settings on the little Sony MD player. I'm still having a lot of fun.

I guess they're about the size of half-dollar coins (remember those?) and very light. At this moment, I'm listening to Garbage. Ms. Manson's voice is at the front and the band is evenly distributed right to left...imaging and sound-stage is fantastic. I feel as though I'm listening in the dead center of the mix courtesy of the sound engineer. The detail is amazing considering the size of these things. I'd really like to eyeball the driver, but I don't want to risk tearing them up to do so.

There is certainly some "tweaking" (dialing in) to be done with these little buttons, but the pay off is soo cool...

I still like 'em!

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #62 of 103
Well, come on, tell us how they compare in comparison to the OTHER HEADPHONES in your inventory!! sheesh!! And how they sound with all of your sources!

(btw, that is an instruction to anyone who can get their grubby paws on these suckas!)

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #63 of 103
Adjusting the tone controls on the MD player doesn't sound too promising. Many (most) of us don't have that option. I'd rather the sound was neutral and balanced without having to do that. The placement issue is a problem I have with clip-ons in general. Its a pain having to futz around making sure you've got them on your ears just right. My KSC-50's sound very good, but it is necessary to be sure they're place properly, in fact you almost need a mirror.

I'm looking for another option to the 50's (I think the upper bass is too exaggerated) and thought about the AT's. I'd like to know more about the new Sennheiser foldable phones which have very impressive specs and are a major upgrade from Senn's earlier small headphones (the PS series). There just aren't many options in the ultra-portable arena other than Koss, and I'd like an alternative to the Koss house sound.

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #64 of 103
Gluey, for now, the best I can tell you is what they are not:

They're not the Koss 35s (not as much bass extension)

They're not the Sony 44s (much more clarity (detail) and bass extension)

They're not the Sony MDR-E888s ( similar mid to top detail but more bass)

They're not the Ety ER-4x (not as much clarity/detail, and slam, but more visceral bass.)

They sound very different than any of my other small phones. I will not compare them to full size headsets because they are in a totally different category.

wink.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #65 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by dinosauract
Adjusting the tone controls on the MD player doesn't sound too promising.

Hi dino,

I don't have to adjust the tone settings to enjoy these phones, however, I think that some members who are accustomed to the bottom end of the Koss phones may want to do so.

I can dig 'em right out of the box with no cheese!

tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #66 of 103
RickG,

Have you used the AT's with an amp, or directly from your MD/PCDP?

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #67 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
RickG,

Have you used the AT's with an amp, or directly from your MD/PCDP?

I've avoided an amp so far because I like to see what portable phones sound like right outa the portable jack. However, I'm about to hook up my JMT built META portable amp and listen. Maybe I'll fool around with the super-mini too!

wink.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #68 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
I've avoided an amp so far because I like to see what portable phones sound like right outa the portable jack. However, I'm about to hook up my JMT built META portable amp and listen. Maybe I'll fool around with the super-mini too!

wink.gif

When I get them, I'll be using them with my JMT-META42 or SuperMini. I'm glad to hear they sound good straight out of a source. They should only improve with an amp.

Nov 6, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #70 of 103
Hmm, maybe these are a good option for me. My main gripes with the Koss 35/50 are too much bass, not enough high end extension and detail. RickG, what do you think?

Also, how much of a pain are they to put on? That clip looks unique. How does it work exactly?

Nov 6, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #72 of 103
That's the kicker. They're at least as hard to install as the Koss 35s and maybe a little more trouble (until you get the hang of it).

The clips "swing out" to facilitate mounting and there is a little "piston" device to account for larger ears (by allowing vertical extension).

If there's a drawback to these phones or the 35s, it's the hassle of putting them on. However, I think it's a "learned" thang. It seems to get easier each time I do it.

rolleyes.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #73 of 103
I've been looking for a replacement for the Senn MX500's. They always fall out. Rick, I was hoping that you could describe how these suckers sound in more detail. I am very interested in a super-mini thing (cool beans!), I'd appreciate it if you would comment on how it sounds with that amp as well. If you have the MX500 as well, please compare for me, I don't care about the price difference, both headphones would serve same purpose. I use a Pana 570 pcdp btw.

Nov 6, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #75 of 103
I guess my overall question is, "are these phones worth their price?'. I mean, by the time you get them, you've spent about $80 (not sure how much shipping is), and you're into the price of some pretty good cans by then (Sony V6, Senn 280 pro, Grado SR60) and more than the price of some other good ones (Senn 497, Koss PP's, etc). So to be worth it, they've got to be pretty damn good, (especially since you can't return them). Despite Rick's praises, somehow I get the sense that the sound may not match the looks, and they may not be up to the level of some other cans in their price range. Rick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back