Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Apr 19, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #856 of 1,068
Great review. I am still writing mine (will compare with IM70 and 1More Triple Driver). I agree about the lack of microdetails which was apparent compared to the 1More Triple Driver. On the flipside the E40 is more forgiving as I found some tracks nearly ruined by the Triples. I decided on the E40 over the LS70 because I thought the LS70 was too veiled. It has deeper sub-bass but I didn't think it was worth the tradeoff.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #857 of 1,068
Great review. I am still writing mine (will compare with IM70 and 1More Triple Driver). I agree about the lack of microdetails which was apparent compared to the 1More Triple Driver. On the flipside the E40 is more forgiving as I found some tracks nearly ruined by the Triples. I decided on the E40 over the LS70 because I thought the LS70 was too veiled. It has deeper sub-bass but I didn't think it was worth the tradeoff.

The E40 is a smoother and more relaxed, albeit slightly more neutral listening experience, and I find the 1M Triples being v-shaped and not quite as enjoyable, but hey, ymmv!

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #858 of 1,068
lol, I thought the 1More had smoother highs, but it has an upper mid peak that's somewhat hot, plus my ears seem to be imbalanced in this region as I'm hearing more sibilance on the right (I hear it on the E40 but it's not as noticeable). The E40 for me has more sparkle in treble but it just seems to be missing the micro details the 1More picks up.

I think the IM70 still stands quite well. It's more veiled at the top but I thought the LS70 was more veiled (didn't get to do a direct comparison unfortunately).

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #860 of 1,068

Highly anticipating your review. It will help me understand should I return it or not.

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #861 of 1,068
  Yes, I looked into that and I feel like I am dumb. Couldn't get a good seal even then. Comply might be the solution .

BTW I see you have 1 More Triple Driver as well, how does E40 compare to that?

ATH-E40 in my honest opinion is M50X with adequate Bass because it's In-Ear Monitor. M50X some time sound Lack of Low End in some Tracks obvious because it is Headphone.

Other Hand, 1 More Tripple Driver is very High-Resolution IEM with Laid Back Signature which means compare to ATH-E40 it has Lack of Sparkle in Upper Segment - That does not mean 1 More
Tripple Missing any Detail or Sound Muddy....Nope...Also, 1 More Tripple Driver Offers more Low-End than ATH-E40.

I found both of them Hold their excellence in Separate Genre.

Also I Own ATH-IM70 too....In My Opinion that is a Sub Woofer in the Ear / When I don't need Sub-Woofer I will Pick 1 More Triplet - When I need Vocal Nirvana - Classical - Acoustic - Soft Rock - Guitar String etc, I will pick ATH-E40.   

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #864 of 1,068
Thanks daboscovellen!

So, I received my E40 today and fit is horrible, it hurts my ear while trying to get a perfect seal, even when I have larger ears than than the normal.

Apart from that. SQ is great, will review in full later. For now it is much much better than SoundMAGIC E80. The bass is just right, the separation is perfect. Though highs are hot sometimes.

For seal I looked over the websites in India and found no one is selling JVC's Spiral dots here. Any suggestions which tips should I look for?

I had fitting issues with E40 when I first got it. First make sure to play around with the different ear tips till you feel like you found the smallest size that will still Isolate and give you the lows.
I realized you really have to play with the memory wire to get them to sit still in the ear. I use a lot of force bending them as close to the ear is possible I then turn the earphone so that they tilt forward a bit and in that way I feel they are most secure.

Because I wrap them around quite tight I do get hot-spots and it can even hurt my ear (behind the Pinna) a bit after extended time. When I am stationary or at home (not walking around) they don't have to be on so tight.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #865 of 1,068
Just got JVC spiral dot earpieces, and they are GREAT on E70. They cut off the harshness that I have with spinfit and warm up the sound a little bit. They wear more comfort for me, as the tip of the earpiece is softer than spinfit. The openning of the tip is larger than spinfit, in addtion to the dots on the surface.

I should mention my source. I'm using m9xx, which has less than 0.1 ohm impedance and can make E70 sound bright. If you use higher impedance source, you may not experience the harshness as I do.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #866 of 1,068

ATH-E40 in my honest opinion is M50X with adequate Bass because it's In-Ear Monitor. M50X some time sound Lack of Low End in some Tracks obvious because it is Headphone.

Other Hand, 1 More Tripple Driver is very High-Resolution IEM with Laid Back Signature which means compare to ATH-E40 it has Lack of Sparkle in Upper Segment - That does not mean 1 More
Tripple Missing any Detail or Sound Muddy....Nope...Also, 1 More Tripple Driver Offers more Low-End than ATH-E40.

I found both of them Hold their excellence in Separate Genre.

Also I Own ATH-IM70 too....In My Opinion that is a Sub Woofer in the Ear / When I don't need Sub-Woofer I will Pick 1 More Triplet - When I need Vocal Nirvana - Classical - Acoustic - Soft Rock - Guitar String etc, I will pick ATH-E40.   

Yes, your impression of these three IEMs is similar to mine as well. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #867 of 1,068
The problem of the E70 was the cable.
Changed a regular copper cable to silver plated soviet copper with 70-80% of silver in it - they just shine now! No hissing or sibilance. Treble is very well extended.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #869 of 1,068
Where can I get this cable?

Well, this is from here http://www.hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_32.html. Not sure if he still has this type of copper.
That cable I have for 2 years I think. I just changed mmcx to a2dc today myself.

The cable does not look very sexy but sounds awesome! 2.5 mm TRRS balanced.

P.S. I think that the main impact on the sound is made by the cable impedance.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #870 of 1,068
Hey guys,

Should I get LZ-A4?
They cost only $50 more than what I paid for E40 ($100) currently.

Has anyone tried them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back