Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Apr 10, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #827 of 1,068
I would like to admit that with spinfit tips I do not get that much amount of hissing with the E70.
It is not gone completely and I still hear it on some tracks with a lot of percussion but it is acceptable now. Can live with it. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #831 of 1,068
  I would like to admit that with spinfit tips I do not get that much amount of hissing with the E70.
It is not gone completely and I still hear it on some tracks with a lot of percussion but it is acceptable now. Can live with it. 

not the e70 causing hiss either music or source

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #832 of 1,068
  not the e70 causing hiss either music or source

This is what I said - 2 x Sabre DACs in Pioneer can be the main reason for hissing. 
I know one guy who listen to them with Valoq (AK4490) - no hissing at all. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #834 of 1,068
How is the size compare with spinfit and ATH original one? Trying to figure out what size I should buy. the original M is a little small for me, but L is a little large.

I usually use medium size tips but personally find the large spiral dots to seal better (medium are too small). Seal is really key for getting the sub bass and keeping things balanced.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #835 of 1,068
Hey guys, I am torn between E40, RHA MA750, RE400 and a lower budget SoundMAGIC E80. A little help will be appreciated.

I am mid head guy, I don't like overpowered bass like in Sony's XB series, SoundMAGIC E10, Beyerdynamic DTX 102... I am looking for an upgrade from my beloved E80 as I lost it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #836 of 1,068
Hey guys, I am torn between E40, RHA MA750, RE400 and a lower budget SoundMAGIC E80. A little help will be appreciated.

I am mid head guy, I don't like overpowered bass like in Sony's XB series, SoundMAGIC E10, Beyerdynamic DTX 102... I am looking for an upgrade from my beloved E80 as I lost it.

I have owned all except the E80. I would rank them E40 first (balanced, not as detailed as E70 and with less subbass but still really good for the price), then ma750 (very nice, excellent build quality and warranty, but with a bit of a midbass hump and sometimes metallic / strident high mids), re400 (no low end at all, poor build quality - don't understand the hype on these).

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #837 of 1,068

I would highly suggest the E40. it's an amazing IEM for the price.
Very wide soundstage and excellent detail retrieval. The bass quantity is also perfect - being a bit above neutral, still it sounds slightly bright and doesn't sound warm. Vocals are upfront and awesome. It's really good across all genres, plus you can get a taste of the ATH colour.  Just go for it.
I must also admit that i've not heard any of the other IEMs you have listed, but from what i've read, i don't think they can come close to E40's push-pull configuration :)  

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #838 of 1,068
I have owned all except the E80. I would rank them E40 first (balanced, not as detailed as E70 and with less subbass but still really good for the price), then ma750 (very nice, excellent build quality and warranty, but with a bit of a midbass hump and sometimes metallic / strident high mids), re400 (no low end at all, poor build quality - don't understand the hype on these).

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

That is the exact same reason why I was avoiding RE400,the build quality is questionable.

Can you give an A&B comparison between E40 and MA750?

And how is the build quality on E40? Have you listened to E80? What's your take on E40 vs E80(SoundMAGIC).

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #839 of 1,068
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

That is the exact same reason why I was avoiding RE400,the build quality is questionable.

Can you give an A&B comparison between E40 and MA750?

And how is the build quality on E40? Have you listened to E80? What's your take on E40 vs E80(SoundMAGIC).

I haven't heard the E80. I will try to do an A/B of the MA750 and E40 later today. Suggest a couple tracks to try them with on Tidal and I'll tell you the differences I hear.

Build quality on the E40 seems fine. Cable is replaceable, which is good (the cable that comes with it is too long and feels cheap, however). Nozzles are a bit long and (good quality) plastic, which could maybe be a concern if you abuse them. But if you use the provided hard case they should last for a while.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #840 of 1,068
I would highly suggest the E40. it's an amazing IEM for the price.
Very wide soundstage and excellent detail retrieval. The bass quantity is also perfect - being a bit above neutral, still it sounds slightly bright and doesn't sound warm. Vocals are upfront and awesome. It's really good across all genres, plus you can get a taste of the ATH colour.  Just go for it.
I must also admit that i've not heard any of the other IEMs you have listed, but from what i've read, i don't think they can come close to E40's push-pull configuration :)  

Thanks a lot for your reply iems0nly!

I have placed E40 on order while I also have E80C on order and both will be out for delivery tomorrow and I am in a pickle for whom to pay for. I am pretty sure I will go with E40 as of now. I also like neutral sound and the reviews on here seem really positive though I wonder why isn't there any proper review on E40's product page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back