Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Apr 4, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #811 of 1,068
After the first wow effect and then 1 full day of listening experience paired with Pioneer I'm selling them out. Sound too aggressive in the upper mids / lower highs with Sabre DAC.
My DAC/Amp is not sufficient enough to drive them. So far I prefer LS200 over the E70 which is easy to drive and they don't get harsh. 

That's a shame. I too find them too harsh in that region with the stock silicone tips. The comply ones help but also kill the bass, leaving them still feeling unbalanced. I really suggest you try the spiral dots before selling them, as it genuinely makes a significant difference to the sound signature.

They're also both hard to seal properly and very seal-dependent. Having a poor or partial seal will emphasize those more strident frequencies.

Sorry, I know I sound like a broken record on this. I just was in a similar position where I almost returned them after the first day, but am glad I waited and played around because I love them now.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #812 of 1,068
Well, I will try Comply. Thank you for letting me know. What are the spiral dots? JVC?
I have ordered new spinfit tips (dual flange CP240) as well.
The bad thing that my main source does not drive them properly.
Will give them one more chance with my DAP then 
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #816 of 1,068
Well, the E50 and E70 share the same philosophy I think and sound signature – dry (neutral?) mids, slightly prominent bass (more sub bass on the E70) with more weight and body, slightly smoothed / rolled off treble if you want. The E70 sound wider and fuller than the E50 but the single driver BA remains a very good performer in comparison and I like it.

But my favorite is LS200. LS is more linear from lows to highs with a slight accent on a mid range – so mids sound more organic, full and musical than on the E Series. Still very detailed and resolving sound.
The key thing here that you can listen to them for a long period of time and never get tired.

The opposite situation with the E70 which for sure technically great but do not match perfectly with my current sources: my DAC/Amp Vantam CML is not able to drive them properly due to its 80 mW per channel I guess, my DAP with 150 mW (balanced) is capable to drive but I get very aggressive sound in the area of upper mids/lower treble  (kind of a harsh sounding). So I would avoid pairing the E70 with Saber DACs. It could be wrong ear tips either.

When you listen to LS you hear guitars on the first place, switching to E and especially to E70 your attention goes to bass and drum section.

The E50 and LS200 are both easy to drive and not that source dependent like the E70.

The LS200 perfectly match with Vantam on PCM1795 and sound very well with Pioneer XDP-300R (2 x ES9018K2M).
Vantam extracts even more details out of LS, tightens the bass, and gives more air in treble area in comparision.

P.S. All comparisons were made in Balanced mode. So I have no idea on how do they sound out of 3.5 mm single end.
P.P.S. LS200 is not for bass-heads. Actually E are not either..
If you need solid prominent bass - skip the LS200. E Series will suit here better.
Idealy to have both )

There are LS300, LS400 for sure.)
Looking at graphs, LS300 look too bass heavy (will definitely skip them). Still ineteresting to hear the flagship, LS400.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #817 of 1,068
  Well, the E50 and E70 share the same philosophy I think and sound signature – dry (neutral?) mids, slightly prominent bass (more sub bass on the E70) with more weight and body, slightly smoothed / rolled off treble if you want. The E70 sound wider and fuller than the E50 but the single driver BA remains a very good performer in comparison and I like it.

But my favorite is LS200. 

Great comparison!! Do you happen to have experience with the IM02? Wondering how it compares to its successor the LS200.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #818 of 1,068

Do you happen to have experience with the IM02? Wondering how it compares to its successor the LS200.

No,  but I think they should be close (looking at measurements), at least till 3 kHz 
wink.gif
 Drivers should be different, right?
Knowles on im02 vs Sonion on 200?

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #820 of 1,068
Well, I will try Comply. Thank you for letting me know. What are the spiral dots? JVC?
I have ordered new spinfit tips (dual flange CP240) as well.
The bad thing that my main source does not drive them properly.
Will give them one more chance with my DAP then :wink:  

Yeah JVC Spiral Dots are also my preferred tips on my RE0 to tame the lower treble. They are really great for taming the treble and increasing the bass amount. I think you'd better try before selling them.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #822 of 1,068
Where can I buy A2DC cables with in-line remotes? Audio-Technica produced them for the LS-iS series so why not sell them?

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #823 of 1,068
  How is the size compare with spinfit and ATH original one? Trying to figure out what size I should buy. the original M is a little small for me, but L is a little large.

Spinfit M
ATH LS series M
ATH E series SX, S, L

Spinfit M diameter is 1 mm bigger than LS M

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #825 of 1,068
How is the size compare with spinfit and ATH original one? Trying to figure out what size I should buy. the original M is a little small for me, but L is a little large.

ML size.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back