Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Apr 17, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #841 of 1,068
I haven't heard the E80. I will try to do an A/B of the MA750 and E40 later today. Suggest a couple tracks to try them with on Tidal and I'll tell you the differences I hear.

Build quality on the E40 seems fine. Cable is replaceable, which is good (the cable that comes with it is too long and feels cheap, however). Nozzles are a bit long and (good quality) plastic, which could maybe be a concern if you abuse them. But if you use the provided hard case they should last for a while.

Thanks again for your reply!

I always use case, I can not watch any of my IEMs getting damaged. :p

Though mostly I listen to Indie and Rock, the likes of Let it Happen- Tame Impala (my goto track when doing A & B), Mister Asylum- Highly Suspect, Heart is a Drum - Beck, Vesuvius - Sufjan Stevens. These are the tracks which can tell my preference and are the tracks which I use to test my IEMs.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #842 of 1,068
Thanks a lot for your reply iems0nly!

I have placed E40 on order while I also have E80C on order and both will be out for delivery tomorrow and I am in a pickle for whom to pay for. I am pretty sure I will go with E40 as of now. I also like neutral sound and the reviews on here seem really positive though I wonder why isn't there any proper review on E40's product page.

You're welcome. Do let us know how you like them.
A "proper review" is still just another impression in an elaborate format. :wink:

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #843 of 1,068
You're welcome. Do let us know how you like them.
A "proper review" is still just another impression in an elaborate format. :wink:

The elaborate format along with the rating helps a lot in understanding the IEM objectively. :D

I hope some will do the elaborate review on the product page of E40. I know it will be a big favour to ask but can you also do the same. I will do the review once I receive them tomorrow. 12 hours more and I am growing excited and impatient.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #845 of 1,068
The elaborate format along with the rating helps a lot in understanding the IEM objectively. :D

I hope some will do the elaborate review on the product page of E40. I know it will be a big favour to ask but can you also do the same. I will do the review once I receive them tomorrow. 12 hours more and I am growing excited and impatient.

You're right in that being a big ask. Because it's a tedious task, and one has to be thorough in reviews and needs to comment on areas like build, specs, etc, which may not be the primary interest of the reviewer. However, I'm in mind to start writing reviews, and will start with the favourite iem in my collection. This needs a lot of time and patience, and I'll try to deliver soon.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #847 of 1,068
Can someone tell the difference A-B between MA750 and E40?
Please.
biggrin.gif

On the Tame Impala song (Tidal HiFi through Apogee duet), they honestly have fairly similar sound profiles. The MA750s have a bit more bass - mid-bass level in particular is a bit above neutral on the 750, but also slightly more bloated.

They have similar soundstage and separation, though I'd probably give a slight edge to the E40.

The biggest difference for me is that the high mids and treble are smoother and truer to life on the E40 - on the 750 they're kind of 'tizzy' and can be unpleasant and unnatural sounding (which is what prompted me to eventually buy the E70). 

If you can get a good seal with the E40 (which is harder, for me, than with the MA750), I think they sound noticeably better, and I would be happier listening to them for longer periods. If you like neutral sound, you will be pleased with them. They do a lot right and nothing wrong enough to bother you.

I've only used the E40 once before (I bought them for my girlfriend), but I am really very impressed with them for the price. I would definitely buy them over the 750s, myself, if I had to choose one of the two right now. However, note that we had to play around with various tips to get them to the sweet spot in terms of seal and balance (there are some clear medium-bore UE tips on them now).

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #848 of 1,068
On the Tame Impala song (Tidal HiFi through Apogee duet), they honestly have fairly similar sound profiles. The MA750s have a bit more bass - mid-bass level in particular is a bit above neutral on the 750, but also slightly more bloated.

They have similar soundstage and separation, though I'd probably give a slight edge to the E40.

The biggest difference for me is that the high mids and treble are smoother and truer to life on the E40 - on the 750 they're kind of 'tizzy' and can be unpleasant and unnatural sounding (which is what prompted me to eventually buy the E70). 

If you can get a good seal with the E40 (which is harder, for me, than with the MA750), I think they sound noticeably better, and I would be happier listening to them for longer periods. If you like neutral sound, you will be pleased with them. They do a lot right and nothing wrong enough to bother you.

I've only used the E40 once before (I bought them for my girlfriend), but I am really very impressed with them for the price. I would definitely buy them over the 750s, myself, if I had to choose one of the two right now. However, note that we had to play around with various tips to get them to the sweet spot in terms of seal and balance (there are some clear medium-bore UE tips on them now).

Thanks daboscovellen!

So, I received my E40 today and fit is horrible, it hurts my ear while trying to get a perfect seal, even when I have larger ears than than the normal.

Apart from that. SQ is great, will review in full later. For now it is much much better than SoundMAGIC E80. The bass is just right, the separation is perfect. Though highs are hot sometimes.

For seal I looked over the websites in India and found no one is selling JVC's Spiral dots here. Any suggestions which tips should I look for?

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #849 of 1,068
Thanks daboscovellen!

So, I received my E40 today and fit is horrible, it hurts my ear while trying to get a perfect seal, even when I have larger ears than than the normal.

Apart from that. SQ is great, will review in full later. For now it is much much better than SoundMAGIC E80. The bass is just right, the separation is perfect. Though highs are hot sometimes.

For seal I looked over the websites in India and found no one is selling JVC's Spiral dots here. Any suggestions which tips should I look for?

Make sure you follow the Fittings Diagram @ supplied manual which is 60-degree angle....Try out the Large Silicon Tips to get a good seal.

In India, the only option for 3rd Party Tips is Comply Foam Tips.....
confused_face.gif

Once you upgrade yourself in this level you can't go back to Sound Magic or similar category.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #850 of 1,068

Make sure you follow the Fittings Diagram @ supplied manual which is 60-degree angle....Try out the Large Silicon Tips to get a good seal.

In India, the only option for 3rd Party Tips is Comply Foam Tips.....
confused_face.gif

Once you upgrade yourself in this level you can't go back to Sound Magic or similar category.

Yes, I looked into that and I feel like I am dumb. Couldn't get a good seal even then. Comply might be the solution .

BTW I see you have 1 More Triple Driver as well, how does E40 compare to that?

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #851 of 1,068
Yes, I looked into that and I feel like I am dumb. Couldn't get a good seal even then. Comply might be the solution .

BTW I see you have 1 More Triple Driver as well, how does E40 compare to that?

Glad you are liking them, aside from the fit (which is the biggest issue with the E series for me). Comply will help with the hot highs and seal. But IME they also kill the bass a little more than I prefer. I find larger bore silicone tips to work best.

If you can't get spiral dots, the replacement tips for Ultimate Ears work well too. Larger sizes also seem to be better for me for the E series. Get something like this and try a few options out: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Tips-Buds-Sets-Set-4-Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-Triple-Fi-10-900-700-/271925895143

Note that you may have to modify the tips a bit - if they're sticking out from your ears too much, you can just cut off part of the inside stem with an xacto knife to bring it in closer.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #852 of 1,068
Glad you are liking them, aside from the fit (which is the biggest issue with the E series for me). Comply will help with the hot highs and seal. But IME they also kill the bass a little more than I prefer. I find larger bore silicone tips to work best.

If you can't get spiral dots, the replacement tips for Ultimate Ears work well too. Larger sizes also seem to be better for me for the E series. Get something like this and try a few options out: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Tips-Buds-Sets-Set-4-Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-Triple-Fi-10-900-700-/271925895143

Note that you may have to modify the tips a bit - if they're sticking out from your ears too much, you can just cut off part of the inside stem with an xacto knife to bring it in closer.

The fit has turned out to be the biggest issue I ever had with any earphones, like seriously this designer has designed worlds most uncomfortable earphones. I wonder how did they pass it for mass production at first place. It is heavier than the most earphones I have used ever but that would have been ignored if it weren't continuously pushing my outer ear apart and causing pain.

Any suggestion on how to deal with it? If it doesn't work out I will have to give them up for worse.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #853 of 1,068
The fit has turned out to be the biggest issue I ever had with any earphones, like seriously this designer has designed worlds most uncomfortable earphones. I wonder how did they pass it for mass production at first place. It is heavier than the most earphones I have used ever but that would have been ignored if it weren't continuously pushing my outer ear apart and causing pain.

Any suggestion on how to deal with it? If it doesn't work out I will have to give them up for worse.

Tips that make them stick out a bit more (like the UE ones) may help if the housing is hitting your ear the wrong way, though it won't look super stylin'. Try to adjust the angle a bit too - twisting them forward a bit may work.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #854 of 1,068
Tips that make them stick out a bit more (like the UE ones) may help if the housing is hitting your ear the wrong way, though it won't look super stylin'. Try to adjust the angle a bit too - twisting them forward a bit may work.

After your suggestions I was trying with the tips that I am left with (all of them were lost with E80) and I used wide bored tips and that didn't work and with some random thoughts I added the narrow bored tips over the wide bored tips and they stick together quite well and now I am getting a good seal and not really that uncomfortable. So that popped up a question in my mind, should I get a triple flange tips, will that help? (I cant get UEs tips because I will be on move after 10 days)

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #855 of 1,068
The elaborate format along with the rating helps a lot in understanding the IEM objectively.
biggrin.gif

Here is my E40 review :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back