Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT/ATH-DSR7BT Bluetooth Headphones (With Digital Drive Technology That Replaces a Traditional DAC)
Nov 26, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #196 of 260
I have both the 7BT and the 9BT. I'm going to return one or the other but for now, I have both. I've been listening to these connected to a Note 8 and the iPhone 7+. It has been my experience that the volume is fine for me on either of these headphones. One thing to check is that you have the volume all the way up on the headphones and then use the volume on your phone to control it. The headphone volume is independent of the phone's volume. This setup works best for me.

As far as charging and listing on the iPhone by Bluetooth at the same time, this is not possible in my experience. If you connect the phones to a computer using the USB connection, the headphone will charge as you listen to music. It works either in USB mode or Bluetooth but not both at the same time.

Tried the headphone over Thanksgiving weekend. Volume issue was resolved. Can get reasonable volume by increasing the volume on the headphone side and adjust iPhone volume.

Sound quality continues to improve. Would say that 7Bt on-par with Sennheiser Momentum Overear wired version. Significantly better the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless version. This was all tested with the same iPhone 7+. Music combo consist of classical, Jazz, top-40 and classic rocks.

Still playing the headphone to get the best fit and still retain good pressure to seal in the sound.

Looks like I will be keeping these.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #197 of 260
Hi,

I have a few things to share.

First a little unfortunate issue.

I have noticed what when I make quick movements up or down,
I hear a clicking sound in the right earcup as if a part was lose and moving.
I found out what it is: luckily nothing is broken inside, it is just the slider power button which is too lose, which is a pity.

Second some further comparison re. Beyerdynamics headphones.

In a store I tried both wired version of Beyerdynamics Aventho and Amiron powered only with my AK240 to see how they feel.
The wired Aventho powered by by AK240 didn't seem better than my BT Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT powered merely by its own embbeded battery.
On the other hand the Amiron powered by by AK240 felt like TOTL headphones, much better than my BT Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT, but were using a lot of power.
Further advantage for the Amiron is that they are open headphones, something unique and always wished by me, hopefully the BT Amiron will remain open.

So for the time being the ATH-DSR9BT are still for me the BT headphones with the best SQ (better than my B&W P7W and that the PX to which I listened but didn't find clearly improving the SQ of my P7W),
but I am eagerly looking towards listening and probably buying the Amiron BT.

An alternative, and really TOTL, in the meantime is to use a Focal Elear or better a Focal Clear powered (but unfortunately connected by a cable) by a AK XB10. However you are still bothered by a cable or by trying to fix the XB10 to the headphones, and get a short playing time (and the Clear is better with its 50 Ohm but is still sold out in the country where I live).

So we should see how things turn out around the summer with the Wireless Beyerdynamics Amiron...

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #198 of 260
Hi,

I have a few things to share.

First a little unfortunate issue.

I have noticed what when I make quick movements up or down,
I hear a clicking sound in the right earcup as if a part was lose and moving.
I found out what it is: luckily nothing is broken inside, it is just the slider power button which is too lose, which is a pity.

Second some further comparison re. Beyerdynamics headphones.

In a store I tried both wired version of Beyerdynamics Aventho and Amiron powered only with my AK240 to see how they feel.
The wired Aventho powered by by AK240 didn't seem better than my BT Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT powered merely by its own embbeded battery.
On the other hand the Amiron powered by by AK240 felt like TOTL headphones, much better than my BT Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT, but were using a lot of power.
Further advantage for the Amiron is that they are open headphones, something unique and always wished by me, hopefully the BT Amiron will remain open.

So for the time being the ATH-DSR9BT are still for me the BT headphones with the best SQ (better than my B&W P7W and that the PX to which I listened but didn't find clearly improving the SQ of my P7W),
but I am eagerly looking towards listening and probably buying the Amiron BT.

An alternative, and really TOTL, in the meantime is to use a Focal Elear or better a Focal Clear powered (but unfortunately connected by a cable) by a AK XB10. However you are still bothered by a cable or by trying to fix the XB10 to the headphones, and get a short playing time (and the Clear is better with its 50 Ohm but is still sold out in the country where I live).

So we should see how things turn out around the summer with the Wireless Beyerdynamics Amiron...
I've tried most the of the mainstream bluetooth headphones, and they've all been mediocre, so I can easily imagine that the DSR9BTs would be better - they're some of the most expensive BT headphones though, so I would hope that they would be good.

I've got an AK XB10, and use it with Denon D7200s. It's very impressive and you wouldn't guess that it's wireless. I'll make a short balanced cable for it and either clip the XB10 onto the headphones, or just let it dangle.

It supports aptx-HD, but I was surprised that I don't notice much difference between standard aptx and aptx-HD. Aptx sound quality is better than AAC from an ipad though.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #199 of 260
I just purchased the DSR9BT a few days ago, and am upgrading to these from the CF2W.

I must say that the CF2W is built much better than the DSR9BT. The creaking of the plastic and rattling buttons is pretty noticable and a miss for such an expensive headphone. The sonic upgrade is much more noticable though, so I'm willing to forgive the cheap build for the moment.

I took a listen to the 9BT on my V20 with some pink noise, and there's some things in here I didn't expect. There's a sizable drop around 300Hz and a small bump around 8kHz that I couldn't notice just listening to music. It sounds quite good to me though, with a much wider soundstage, better imaging, and notable vocal separation compared to the CF2W.

Compared to the M50X, the soundstage expands almost from 0 to 8 (out of 10) and has more pronounced bass response. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the clarity of the highs seems to be improved over the M50X swapping over seconds and replaying parts of the same song. It might be bias though since it wasn't blind testing.

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #200 of 260
I just purchased the DSR9BT a few days ago, and am upgrading to these from the CF2W.

I must say that the CF2W is built much better than the DSR9BT. The creaking of the plastic and rattling buttons is pretty noticable and a miss for such an expensive headphone. The sonic upgrade is much more noticable though, so I'm willing to forgive the cheap build for the moment.

I took a listen to the 9BT on my V20 with some pink noise, and there's some things in here I didn't expect. There's a sizable drop around 300Hz and a small bump around 8kHz that I couldn't notice just listening to music. It sounds quite good to me though, with a much wider soundstage, better imaging, and notable vocal separation compared to the CF2W.

Compared to the M50X, the soundstage expands almost from 0 to 8 (out of 10) and has more pronounced bass response. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the clarity of the highs seems to be improved over the M50X swapping over seconds and replaying parts of the same song. It might be bias though since it wasn't blind testing.
Yes of course bias always a possibility but one thing is for sure, that the sound stage on the M50 is nonexistent , so any improvement is good in that regard. It's too bad about creaking plastic as the $100 M50 doesn't do any of that after several years of use. AT could and should have done a better job on that regardless of the price.

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #201 of 260
Yes of course bias always a possibility but one thing is for sure, that the sound stage on the M50 is nonexistent , so any improvement is good in that regard. It's too bad about creaking plastic as the $100 M50 doesn't do any of that after several years of use. AT could and should have done a better job on that regardless of the price.
I've been switching back and forth between my CF2W and DSR9 for the last few days, and I have to give everything not directly related to audio performance and comfort to the CF2W. V-Moda gets the portable headphone part done right. No creaking, no wiggling on the head, fits around my neck better, compacts down enough to fit in my cargo pocket, features screws that I have bits for, is compatible with any micro-USB cable, has better passive noise isolation, etc. I was going to sell the CF2W if the DSR9 beat it in every way, but I'm beginning to think that I might leave my DSR9 at home and use it for my computer audio needs. A shame since the point of a BT headphone is to use it out and about.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #203 of 260
I just tried adding some padding under the stock pads to see what would happen, and it's doing something... interesting to the headphone. The bass seems to fill out a bit more now, the sound stage is very slightly wider, and the 8kHz peak is not quite as noticable now. I might have to find some aftermarket pads that complement these.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #204 of 260
I absolutely hate this treble peak. And touch pause button is the most evil thing on the world, but aside these the sound quality is like good cable phones for 400-450€. Definitely best sounding Bluetooth HP.

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #205 of 260
I tried using some brainwavz angled pads, and it's a big improvement over the stock pads. My ears would push up against the mesh and be a little irritable after a while, now I just have these pillows on my head that inject my mind with sound. If I'm not mistaken, the treble peak is not quite as shrill now, so that seems like a plus to me.

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #207 of 260
Can anybody compare the sound quality of the Sony WH-1000XM2 or MDR-1000X with LDAC source to the DSR9BT with an APTx-HD source? (Guessing the Sonys' noise cancellation can be turned off for a comparison.)

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #208 of 260
Can anybody compare the sound quality of the Sony WH-1000XM2 or MDR-1000X with LDAC source to the DSR9BT with an APTx-HD source? (Guessing the Sonys' noise cancellation can be turned off for a comparison.)
I did not hear the 1000X MK2, but the 1000X by LDAC vs 9bt. Guess what ? The 9BT is an obvious winner that I buy and keep. 1000x ? Couldn’t stand for 10 minutes

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #209 of 260

I have both (Sony WH-1000XM2 and DSR9BT). I'm sharing my experience based on 2 month of usage:

Sony WH-1000XM2 - it sounds good right away. It has good sound quality and fits your head well with really soft cushions. Noise cancellation is awesome and it is good for noisy offices.

DSR9BT - I got really good sound only two weeks later. At the beginning it had terrible treble peaks and cushions were so tough so I was ready to get it back, but now - sound quality is just awesome(maybe it just needs some warming up). I subscribed to Tidal and I think that DSR9BT is the best I tried so far.

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #210 of 260
After more than a year of using the DSR7-BT as a daily office headphone, I am still impressed by the sound a lot! As well via aptx-HD from my LG V30, as directly from any laptop through USB (the latter being a bit better, but the difference is minimal if you ask me). One minor inconveniance is that when they're bluetooth connected to my phone, and I leave them on my desk (still powered on) and walk away with my phone, coming back after let's say 10min, the only way to reconnect them to my phone would be switching them off and on again...something like standbymode would be nice, or am I missing something here?

However, I am very annoyed by the creaking and squeaking of the thing. Walking and certainly jogging is challenging or even impossible without hearing squeaks. Does anyone have any solution for this?
If they just would have made the grey cup-headband-connecting piece something like metal in stead of this noisy piece of plastic....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back