Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT/ATH-DSR7BT Bluetooth Headphones (With Digital Drive Technology That Replaces a Traditional DAC)
Mar 30, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #226 of 260
Hi guys I've had the DSR7BT for a while now and agree that the controls leave alot to be desired. The sound quality is great but the constant creaking made me literally put them away for months until I decided to do something about it. I have the MSR7 and those suffered from the same creaking issues. I was able to disassemble those and grease the pivots which worked great! But the DSR7BT isn't as easy to disassemble due to a couple screws with a security feature I don't have the tool for. I ended up using a lock lubricant that worked well on some other headphones. It's a graphite lube suspended in a liquid that evaporates, leaving only the graphite behind. Just a few drops in the pivots is good and you can wipe off the rest. You can find it at your local home improvement store. I think any dry or wet lubricant would work well as long as it's plastic safe.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #228 of 260
Hi
Excuse me guys i have some questions about these models:

1) I read that the DSR9 compared to DSR7 have also much more enphatize in the bass with deeper and more impacted bass ?
This is true ?

2 ) The bass depth in bluetooth mode is comparable with cabled products ?

3 ) Anyone can explain me about the difference as sound between the DSR7 and the cabled model MSR7 ???

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #229 of 260
Well first, all this headphones are from the Sound Reality series from Audio Technica, so they all have a similar type of sound : the voice, especially the feminine voice, are really put in front. The mids and the highs are the star of the show. For some, it's even too much on the MSR7 because of some sibilances (I don't think so personally, but what's sure is that the MSR7 is really better with a good DAP and quality files). Those are colored and dynamic headphones, but the bass are mostly on the back. So if you want a bass heavy headphone, move along.

About the differences between the three products, first the MSR7 is not really "the cabled model" of the DSR7. The MSR7 came out earlier and has a different build and look. The DSR7 and the DSR9 are more similar and came out at the same time (the DSR9 being the "platinum version" of the DSR7). Since I never used the DSR7, I can't really talk about that one. But I have the DSR9 and the MSR7, and it's true, the DSR9 have a deeper bass. The sound, while being still colored and dynamic, is a bit more tight, cold and bassy.

Answering your second question : there is no difference between bluetooth and wireless mode, because the DSR9 and the DSR7 are only bluetooth (you can use it only with a USB cable on a computer, so it's a really narrowed option and I never used it). There is a strictly cabled version of the DSR9 though (with an asymetrical cord), it's the SR9.
There is no bluetooth version for the MSR7, but you can buy an adapter.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #231 of 260
Well the less bassy model is the MSR7, and it's also the cheapest. It's an amazing headphone if you ask me, and you will not find a better sound in this price range. But it doesn't have bluetooth and it can be uncomfortable for some (the hoop can hurt the top of the head with time).

There is another headphone that you could be interested in : it's the AR5BT, another Sound Reality model from Audio Technica. The sound is similar to the MSR7, although it's a bit more V-Shaped (so there's a bit more bass...) and the soundstage is more narrow. But unlike the MSR7, the DSR9 or the DSR7, it's bluetooth and yet can be wired with a jack cord. It's a really cool, little headphone, very lightweight and comfortable, with a huge autonomy. It's the more nomad, on-the-go headphone of the four.
Two things though :
- The earpads are supposed to be circum-aural (they're oval), but since they're small and not very deep, it can be uncomfortable for people with big or proeminent ears. That's not the case for me, so I really like it because it surrounds entirely my ears, without being too heavy or in-your face.
- Some people thinks it doesn't go loud enough. Again, that's not my case, but if you like to listen to music outdoor and really LOUD, it can be a problem.
I talk about the AR5BT here :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...discussion-thread.804357/page-5#post-14710469

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #233 of 260
Pure Digital Drive has nothing to do with latency (well not that I am aware...). AR5BT have aptx (a transmission codex) like the DSR9BT and the DSR7BT. Since I only use the AR5BT for listening music, I can't really told you if it may problematic for playing video games or watching movies, but honestly in my eyes latency has always been a false problem when we're talking about bluetooth headphones. I tested a lot of bluetooth headphones (even really cheap ones), some for watching videos and stuff, and I've never experienced latency.

Anyway, I understand you want less bass as possible, but do you want a flat, neutral sound, or a more dynamic and couloured vibe ? It's not because you don't have bass that you have a neutral sound. All the Audio Technica Sound Reality headphones are dynamic and lively headphones, with the mids and the highs a little bit boosted. If you want really a neutral sound, you may be more interested in the monitoring headphones, like the M series from Audio Technica, especially the M40X. This one is not available with bluetooth, but the M50X is (the M50XBT... although this model is a bit bass enhanced compared to the almost perfectly flat M40X). Now I don't know if you ever tried this kind of headphones, but I don't like them : I find them boring and almost dead. It's more for analysing music and its details than to really live it (by the way the M series is essentially made for pros, the M50X is frequently used during recording sessions). That's why I like so much the Sound Reality from Audio Technica : they're dynamic and lively without enhancing the bass.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #237 of 260
Got a pair second hand

love them.

96k usb cable works great with MacBook Pro Amazon Music HD

the sample rate automatically changed to 96k 24bit when I plugged it in.

the usb volume possible isn’t as loud as Bluetooth volume but luckily it goes to just past my comfort level so backed off a little it’s perfect.

I will try to level match my MBP output volume to my DAPs AptX HD volume and do a sound quality shoot out. (But I am already convinced the 96k 24bit playback is more revealing!)

The previous owner pimped them out with a leather headband cover and sheepskin ear pads. They feel very “deluxe”.

Very happy!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #238 of 260
I recently upgraded from my 7 years old ATH WS99BT to B&W PX7 and it's finally and equal replacement. All the other wireless headphones weren't as good. But I never tried ATH-DSR9BT. Couldn't find local seller.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #239 of 260
There are very few YouTube reviews. Have a look for them and also for the ATH-DSR7BT model..
All the reviewers refer to the stunning sound.
It's very special.
Because of this; https://blog.audio-technica.com/technology-behind-ath-dsr7bt-ath-dsr9bt-headphones/
The build quality is OK / average - for indoor use they are perfect - for robust road warrior (flights / coffee shops / commuting) they dont have all the features and bullet proofing / ANC you might need. For working at a computer / at home they are amazing

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #240 of 260
There are very few YouTube reviews. Have a look for them and also for the ATH-DSR7BT model..
All the reviewers refer to the stunning sound.
It's very special.
Because of this; https://blog.audio-technica.com/technology-behind-ath-dsr7bt-ath-dsr9bt-headphones/
The build quality is OK / average - for indoor use they are perfect - for robust road warrior (flights / coffee shops / commuting) they dont have all the features and bullet proofing / ANC you might need. For working at a computer / at home they are amazing
I have the ATH-DSR9BT and had the ATH-DSR7BT. Different league.

The DSR7BT does not have nearly the precision the DSR9BT has, which is dramatically increased once you go to a digital USB connection; this is where the DSR9BT shines and comes alive. While the DSR7BT sounds great, it's a step down (or two) and, which was the killer for me, has a fairly loud background hiss that the DSR9BT does not have.

That being said, if you are OK with a louder noise floor, the DSR7BT can be had renewed for $69.
https://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-DSR7BT-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B07R3G1J6X/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back