Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT/ATH-DSR7BT Bluetooth Headphones (With Digital Drive Technology That Replaces a Traditional DAC)
Jan 3, 2017 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 260

MICHAELSD

Headphoneus Supremus
"Audio-Technica’s Pure Digital Drive uses a Trigence Semiconductor Dnote chipset that keeps the signal digital right up until it hits the driver. Instead of digital-to-analog conversion, this chip translates the signal into digital pulses that move the voice coil in the driver, creating the sound listeners hear.

The more premium of the two new headphones is the ATH-DSR9BT, which uses a four-wire voice coil for more precise control, which results in more detailed sound. The 45mm driver is paired with an acoustic damper inside its housing, which the company makes for smoother, more natural-sounding audio.

The ATH-DSR7BT shares much of its DNA with Audio-Technica’s popular ATH-MSR7, including similarities in the drivers and driver housings. The main difference is that like the ATH-DSR9BT, the ASH-DSR7BT also uses the new Pure Digital Drive technology.
In addition to the new Pure Digital Drive technology, both of these new headphones can also deliver hi-res audio from compatible sources when connected via a USB cable, which is included in the box. Both headphones also feature a built-in mic and controller, allowing them to be easily used to take or make calls while on the go.​
 ​
Audio-Technica claims battery life of up to 15 hours of continuous use on each of the new models, or over 1,000 hours of standby. Three LED indicators on each pair of headphones provides information on battery life, charging status, and even the audio codec in use during playback.

Both the ATH-DSR9BT and ATH-DSR7BT are expected to be available in spring 2017, with the ATH-DSR9BT selling for $550, while the ATH-DSR7BT will retail for $300. Audio-Technica will be showing off both new headphones along with a host of other audio gear at CES 2017:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/audio-technica-ath-dsr9bt-ath-dsr7bt-ces-2017/#ixzz4UgFJ4YwJ 

In my informed opinion we are going to see more innovation from headphone manufacturers this year than we have in over a decade as they launch competitive new wireless models with the best of all their newest audio technology. 2017 is the year of wireless headphones as they finally can and will sound as good or better than wired sets.

(There was a thread on the ATH-DSR9BT already, but I figured I'd create a proper discussion thread with details and pictures. Rather than just making it for the ATH-DSR7BT due to this, I've grouped them together.)

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 260
I've posted my review about the DSR9BT in this topic, since one member had already reviewed the DSR7BT here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/827151/audio-technica-ath-dsr7bt-bluetooth-twin-of-the-msr7-and-ath-dsr9bt

But it's a topic in the Headphone section, not in the Portable one, so maybe we should unite the two topics ?

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 260
  I've posted my review about the DSR9BT in this topic, since one member had already reviewed the DSR7BT here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/827151/audio-technica-ath-dsr7bt-bluetooth-twin-of-the-msr7-and-ath-dsr9bt

But it's a topic in the Headphone section, not in the Portable one, so maybe we should unite the two topics ?

Maybe so, because these are technically portable headphones. That these are light on the bass out of the box is a bit disappointing though. Seems quite similar to the ATH-AD700, which has clear mids and treble and a tight but very restrained bass. Quality headphones from Audio-Technica, but I was expecting a bit more. 

Can you hear a difference from the "Digital Drive Technology"?

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 260
For me, the DSR9BT is not "light on the bass" to be honest. The sound is perfect to my ears and is what I've always been waiting for a bluetooth headphone. Now, having in my house also a WS99BT and a WS1100 (from Audio Technica Solid Bass line), and knowing that a lot of people are looking for heavy-bass sound (I don't listen to rap or electro and prefer pop/rock), it's true that the bass is no the star of the show. The sound is more clear and "colored", it sounds really like the Bose Soundlink Around-Ear, but more powerful, vibrant and clean. Nothing like the boring, powerless and bassy Sony MDR-1ABT which I hate !

About the digital drive technology, I don't know ! I don't really understand their system to be honest and how can we hear music without converting the sound to analog is beyond me 
confused_face(1).gif
 Maybe I should tried the DSR9BT with the USB cable and compare it with the bluetooth mode. But I don't have apt-x HD !

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 260
Jan 11, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 260
How did you get your hands on these??

Anyone else get to check these out at CES? I'd love to hear more impressions if there are any
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought them from Japan (I'm in France). It wasn't cheap, especially with the taxes and customs, but since I love Audio technica sound signature, I figured it was going to be the perfect headphone for me. So instead of buying a few cheaper headphones, that overall would cost me more money than the DSR9BT alone without ever really completely satisfying me, I went all in for them 
etysmile.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 260
They're both available from Audiocubes. Pricey but who knows they might be worth it.

I'll wait for more feedback and esp. comparisons with the Momentums, the B&W P7 and the Beoplay H9, which are considered to be the best sounding wireless cans out there.

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 260
I bought them from Japan (I'm in France). It wasn't cheap, especially with the taxes and customs, but since I love Audio technica sound signature, I figured it was going to be the perfect headphone for me. So instead of buying a few cheaper headphones, that overall would cost me more money than the DSR9BT alone without ever really completely satisfying me, I went all in for them :etysmile:

Makes sense to me!

In your review you said "It's great in the upper and the middle, but it's doesn't have much bass." And earlier in this thread you said:

For me, the DSR9BT is not "light on the bass".

Would you be willing to elaborate on the difference between those two statements? I don't think I'm a basshead, but your comment about not having much bass gives me pause in considering these headphones. You also describe them as powerful which makes me think they may be ok. I don't need my head to shake when listening to music but I want the "oomph" (technical term :wink: ) to be there if the track demands it. Ultimately I'll have to try them when they get released here in NA but I'm itching for any information I can get in the mean time :)

I previously owned the P7 Wireless (B&W 60 day trial) and ultimately returned them, as awesome as they are (and they *are* amazing), because 1) they're quick to become uncomfortable (i.e. Less than 30 minutes of listening), and b) I felt the mids were too harsh when turing up the volume. I suppose a lot of it depends on how the source material is mastered, but frequently I would be listening to a song at a comfortable level, and then an instrument or vocals would come in at a later point and I'd have to turn the volume down because they were almost painful to my ears. Have you experienced anything like this with the ATH-DSR9BT's? Are there any other headphones you've tried that you could compare these to?

Thanks!!

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 260
Makes sense to me!

In your review you said "It's great in the upper and the middle, but it's doesn't have much bass." And earlier in this thread you said:
Would you be willing to elaborate on the difference between those two statements? I don't think I'm a basshead, but your comment about not having much bass gives me pause in considering these headphones. You also describe them as powerful which makes me think they may be ok. I don't need my head to shake when listening to music but I want the "oomph" (technical term
wink.gif
) to be there if the track demands it. Ultimately I'll have to try them when they get released here in NA but I'm itching for any information I can get in the mean time
smily_headphones1.gif

I previously owned the P7 Wireless (B&W 60 day trial) and ultimately returned them, as awesome as they are (and they *are* amazing), because 1) they're quick to become uncomfortable (i.e. Less than 30 minutes of listening), and b) I felt the mids were too harsh when turing up the volume. I suppose a lot of it depends on how the source material is mastered, but frequently I would be listening to a song at a comfortable level, and then an instrument or vocals would come in at a later point and I'd have to turn the volume down because they were almost painful to my ears. Have you experienced anything like this with the ATH-DSR9BT's? Are there any other headphones you've tried that you could compare these to?

Thanks!!

About the bass, what I meant is that even if the DSR9BT doesn't have as much bass as two other bluetooth headphones I tried, the WS99BT and the MDR-1ABT, it's still perfect for me because I'm not a bass-head. By the way, even if the bass is more present on the MDR-1ABT, I find the bass from the Sony very rough and "husky" and I prefer the one from the DSR9BT which is more dynamic, more "uplifting" and less "boomy". Maybe that if you're listening to electro or rap, bass will be lacking, but with pop/rock/indie/alternative honestly it's perfect to my taste.

Concerning comfort, as I said on the other topic, I had to stretch the hoop (of three notches) because the clamping can be a bit strong, when usually I never stretch (or just of one notch, two max) the hoop of a headphone. So if you have a very big head, it may be a problem. Anyway, with the hoop stretched, my longest session with the DSR9BT was three hours long, and I've never experienced any discomfort at all. Now I drank a bit that night so maybe I was so dumb that I couldn't feel the payne 
etysmile.gif
 But seriously I don't think so. 

And no, it never sounded painful to my ears ! I think I know what you mean, because some headphones can be a bit agressive. For exemple, with the WS99BT -- a very "direct" headphone, where the drivers are close to the ears, and the sound, even if it's clear and boomy at the same time, has a narrow soundstage -- I often have to turn up or turn down the volume, because this kind of sound can be tiring. Here I put the level on 12 (there are 15 levels) and that's it. Since the sound is very dynamic but has also a wide soundstage and stays very "airy", it's always very pleasant and soft to the ears ! I would compare this feeling to the one I had with the Bose SoundLink Around-Ear which has also this kind of sound, very balanced and clean, particulary in the high. But the DSR9BT is more powerful, vibrant and with especially a wider soundstage.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 260
  Just received my pair the other day. Stay tuned for a -really- big review. I have a lot to say about these.

Subbed.

@Dieucocto I nearly ordered it from Japan just because the same reason as you, I love Audio Technica and ATH E70 is now my perfect pair of IEMs. The MSR7 was also very good but the trebles were a little too harsh in some tracks + unoptimized design which stopped me from buying one, have you tried those? If yes, how do they compare to the DSR9BT?

Thanks, Linh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back