Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT/ATH-DSR7BT Bluetooth Headphones (With Digital Drive Technology That Replaces a Traditional DAC)
May 18, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #241 of 260
I guess the DSR7BT is not compatible with the Connect App by ATH, does that mean there are not going to be any firmware update? This headphone has been out in the market for few years now and thought there would be at least one firmware update?

May 18, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #242 of 260
I guess the DSR7BT is not compatible with the Connect App by ATH, does that mean there are not going to be any firmware update? This headphone has been out in the market for few years now and thought there would be at least one firmware update?
Neither the DSR9BT or the DSR7BT are compatible with their App. As far as I'm aware, there is no firmware update for either.

What's the issue?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #243 of 260
The DSR7BT does not have nearly the precision the DSR9BT has, which is dramatically increased once you go to a digital USB connection; this is where the DSR9BT shines and comes alive. While the DSR7BT sounds great, it's a step down (or two) and, which was the killer for me, has a fairly loud background hiss that the DSR9BT does not have.

That being said, if you are OK with a louder noise floor, the DSR7BT can be had renewed for $69.
https://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-DSR7BT-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B07R3G1J6X/
I got a pair last week, from the amazon renewed link (posted on the deals thread).
I agree the noise floor hiss is VERY noticeable and annoying!!
Are you saying the DSR9BT has no hiss at all??
Also, did anyone ever find a way (in the last 2 years) to significantly reduce it? or is it just a bad design and nothing can be done about it?
My source is a Samsung S10e phone, and active codec is AptX.

If no solution - I will send it back to amazon...

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #244 of 260
I love my 9 version. No hiss stunning sound.

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #245 of 260
Hi there, I hope you are safe and healthy all.
Now it's the end of 2020 but ATH-DSR9BT
is still in the list of best sounding wireless headphones. From time perspective do you still recommend them? Did you make any comparison with Shure Ionic 50, Drop + THX Panda or Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless?
Best Regards,
Zaza

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #248 of 260
Amiron wireless is very good, but isolation is bad so not much point in walking through the city and it feels very clunky when hanging on the neck, since hinges do not rotate (same story with all beyerdynamic, sadly).

Ionic 50 plays really good, build quality is good, isolation is avarage and they leak rather much. Basically same as flagship Master&Dynamic.

Bluetooth flagships from Sennheiser and B&O are well build and very comfy, but they play (for me) way too warm which blurs resolution, so I wouldn't call them high end in terms of SQ.

At the end of the day I went with bowers wilkins - good isolation, good sound quality, comfy, very good build quality.

I would go with Ionic 50 if you don't mind leaking and avarage isolation.

None of these comes close to dsr9bt in terms of SQ.

I can't say nothing about Drop + THX since they aren't sold in Europe.

Phones that I would be much interested in trying out, but still haven't are:
KEF PORSCHE DESIGN / SPACE ONE WIRELESS and Technics EAH-F70N.
I had really good experience with their other audio products.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #249 of 260
Amiron wireless is very good, but isolation is bad so not much point in walking through the city and it feels very clunky when hanging on the neck, since hinges do not rotate (same story with all beyerdynamic, sadly).

Ionic 50 plays really good, build quality is good, isolation is avarage and they leak rather much. Basically same as flagship Master&Dynamic.

Bluetooth flagships from Sennheiser and B&O are well build and very comfy, but they play (for me) way too warm which blurs resolution, so I wouldn't call them high end in terms of SQ.

At the end of the day I went with bowers wilkins - good isolation, good sound quality, comfy, very good build quality.

I would go with Ionic 50 if you don't mind leaking and avarage isolation.

None of these comes close to dsr9bt in terms of SQ.

I can't say nothing about Drop + THX since they aren't sold in Europe.

Phones that I would be much interested in trying out, but still haven't are:
KEF PORSCHE DESIGN / SPACE ONE WIRELESS and Technics EAH-F70N.
I had really good experience with their other audio products.
Thanks for your comprehensive explaination. I have red a lot about Porsche Design and Technics. First lacks Aptx-HD while reviewers concern about Technics all plastic body.
What do you think does aptX HD and Ldac really make a difference?
P.S personally for me ANC isn't very important so I'm ready to sacrifice it for sound and build quality.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #250 of 260
AAC on android is just plain bad.
APTX-HD yes you can hear a difference, but it's subtle.
Problem with aptx-hd is when in big city it gets unstable because of radio noise all around and it chops way too easily (non HD is stable, because uses less bandwith).
LDAC is even better quality than aptx-hd, but really the differences are small (we are after all listening with bluetooth heapdhones, so nothing fancy).

In my opinion MUCH more important than those codecs are HP drivers and HP amplification.
Have those good and it will play great already on SBC codecs. Have bad drivers and it will suck even with LDAC.
So I still think KEF might be good (their speakers are stellar).

I also do not care about ANC, because it ALWAYS influence SQ.
So I have ANC always off and depend only on passive isolation.
That's why I was writing about it before.

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #251 of 260
AAC on android is just plain bad.
APTX-HD yes you can hear a difference, but it's subtle.
Problem with aptx-hd is when in big city it gets unstable because of radio noise all around and it chops way too easily (non HD is stable, because uses less bandwith).
LDAC is even better quality than aptx-hd, but really the differences are small (we are after all listening with bluetooth heapdhones, so nothing fancy).

In my opinion MUCH more important than those codecs are HP drivers and HP amplification.
Have those good and it will play great already on SBC codecs. Have bad drivers and it will suck even with LDAC.
So I still think KEF might be good (their speakers are stellar).

I also do not care about ANC, because it ALWAYS influence SQ.
So I have ANC always off and depend only on passive isolation.
That's why I was writing about it before.
The price for KEF is really tempting as it's under USD100 on Ebay. You made me to consider it.
By the way have you tested Dali IO6?

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #252 of 260
I heard Dali's only briefly, they are well build and have their house Dali sound, they aren't bright nor warm, but natural sounding and pleasant.
Aren't crazy fast, nor slow, just right.
Can't say much more about them, I had too less time with them, but I think it's not a bad choice either.

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #253 of 260
I heard Dali's only briefly, they are well build and have their house Dali sound, they aren't bright nor warm, but natural sounding and pleasant.
Aren't crazy fast, nor slow, just right.
Can't say much more about them, I had too less time with them, but I think it's not a bad choice either.
Thank you for your opinion about Dali.
I have just made offer for Kef Space One on ebay. It's so cheap that I wont regret if I don't like it.
But to say frankly I'm still dreaming about DSR9BT. What its main problem in build quality?

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #254 of 260
I had ATH-M50x, ATH-DSR9BT and ATH-MSR7, they are almost full plastic build (mid quality)
which squeaks or make noises when walking with them on head or moving them around.
Their fake leather pads are unpleasant in touch and not too comfy (except ATH-M50x these were comfy,
but it's a studio phone).

PS. If you ordered Kef Space One watch out for it to be the wireless version and
feel free to PM with your opinion later on, but please give it atleast 20-25 hours of burn in time.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #255 of 260
I had ATH-M50x, ATH-DSR9BT and ATH-MSR7, they are almost full plastic build (mid quality)
which squeaks or make noises when walking with them on head or moving them around.
Their fake leather pads are unpleasant in touch and not too comfy (except ATH-M50x these were comfy,
but it's a studio phone).

PS. If you ordered Kef Space One watch out for it to be the wireless version and
feel free to PM with your opinion later on, but please give it atleast 20-25 hours of burn in time.
Oops it seems I sent offer for wired one. I was confused because the battery was mentioned in item description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back