Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT/ATH-DSR7BT Bluetooth Headphones (With Digital Drive Technology That Replaces a Traditional DAC)
Jun 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #91 of 260
Just a heads up to anyone interested, go to audiogeeks.com add these headphones ath-dsr9bt to your cart and add the promo code: DADSDAY and get $82.35 off. I think it lasts through Fathers Day.
Anyway the only other bluetooth headphone I've ever tried are the Bose Soundlink II Wireless. The sound quality of them is decent, and I admire them for their noteworthy comfort level. But they don't support any apt x just sbc.
After about 2 years I figure it's time for an upgrade. The DSR9BT look really nice, and has support for higher quality. I ordered them yesterday impulsively because of the sale. Can anyone compare them to the Bose Soundlink II wireless for comfort and sound quality?
Also are they easy to pair? The Bose speaks and tells you what networks are available and which you are connected to.
I plan to use the ATH-DSR9BT with my Creative Bluetooth Audio BT-D1 transmitter from the PC and use with my LG V20 cellphone.

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #92 of 260
OK, got mine a couple of days ago. My impressions are basically the same as the reviewer below. My only caveat, is the mic for calls is sub-par. While the voice is relatively clear, the gain is very poor. People can understand me, but say I sound far away (as if on speaker phone a foot or so away). Other than that issue, which may be a deal killer for some, to me, these are the best sounding wireless headphones in existence. For audiophiles not able to ditch the wire, these present the most compelling case to do so.

Good Review
https://audiobacon.net/2017/06/20/audio-technica-ath-dsr9bt-bluetooth-headphone-review/

Below is my current assortment of wireless headphones, some of which are really good, but this is just on another level. NOTE: I had the V-Moda CF2W, but ended up returning them for these instead (and $200 more). Great choice.

upload_2017-6-29_14-46-45.png

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #94 of 260

This review is troubling, I can't wrap my head around how there would be a significant difference in sound quality between bluetooth and cabled for this headphone. Since the cable is sending digital audio just like wireless bluetooth is doing and no DAC is used on either wired or wireless connection. Add to the fact that the wireless component is capable of high bit rate streaming over bluetooth.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #95 of 260
Bluetooth is always lossy. USB direct connection is not. So if the source material is at minimal 16/44.1. Bluetooth will always has some resolution loss. Whether or not it's audible, that's debatable.

IMO lossy vs lossless is audible for high resolution headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #96 of 260
This review is troubling, I can't wrap my head around how there would be a significant difference in sound quality between bluetooth and cabled for this headphone. Since the cable is sending digital audio just like wireless bluetooth is doing and no DAC is used on either wired or wireless connection. Add to the fact that the wireless component is capable of high bit rate streaming over bluetooth.
Yup I had the same reaction, I chalk it up a personal bias, which is most reviews are tend to be anyway. Bluetooth caries a stigma for many around here which will take years to some to get over it or maybe never.Those people should not review BT products IMO, or at least they should just disclose ahead of time that they consider BT a major bottleneck so readers can decide to skip them. :wink:

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #97 of 260
Bluetooth is always lossy. USB direct connection is not. So if the source material is at minimal 16/44.1. Bluetooth will always has some resolution loss. Whether or not it's audible, that's debatable.

IMO lossy and lossless is audible for high resolution headphones.

I apologise for not clarifying, it's a complicated issue but I assume that he tested Bluetooth wireless with AptX or AptX HD, in either codecs the resolution loss is hardly noticeable (you can find third party measurements and comparisons easily). Also he mentions difference in low end which is strange as the main hit that lossy codecs introduce is reduced high end info.

Also Bluetooth doesn't always mean additional layer of lossy as it can support AAC and MP3 pass through with the right implementation.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #98 of 260
Yup I had the same reaction, I chalk it up a personal bias, which is most reviews are tend to be anyway. Bluetooth caries a stigma for many around here which will take years to some to get over it or maybe never.Those people should not review BT products IMO, or at least they should just disclose ahead of time that they consider BT a major bottleneck so readers can decide to skip them. :wink:

Also, amount of resolution loss for bluetooth vary significantly on protocol used. Bit rate all changes according to aptX HD, aptX, AAC, SBC. So the same headphones will behave different depends on which phone or computer OS pairing. For example, iphone will choose AAC while MacOS can choose aptX. So bluetooth is not a very uniformed standard for sound quality and these bluetooth headphones typically does not indicate the format unless you go search for it in the playback device setting.

Anyway, wired USB basically ensures a lossless format if the playback device setting is correct on the computer.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #99 of 260
Also, amount of resolution loss for bluetooth vary significantly on protocol used. Bit rate all changes according to aptX HD, aptX, AAC, SBC. So the same headphones will behave different depends on which phone or computer OS pairing. For example, iphone will choose AAC while MacOS can choose aptX. So bluetooth is not a very uniformed standard for sound quality and these bluetooth headphones typically does not indicate the format unless you go search for it in the playback device setting.

Anyway, wired USB basically ensures a lossless format if the playback device setting is correct on the computer.
Those are not protocols those are codecs. Bit rate alone is irrelevant, some codecs are more efficient then others. I agree that the landscape of codecs being used are all over the place, but nothing a good old fashioned homework of the prospective buyer can't fix as far as information. The whole reason to buy wireless product is not to bother with wires including USB.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #100 of 260
I just got these delivered yesterday and my initial impressions are WOW these sound amazing! The bass is deep, textured, and has very good kick and impact. This headphone is very musical with sweet mids and detailed highs to me. This is the best Bluetooth headphone I own. To me it has better bass than the B&W P7 wireless and it is even more musical that the B&O H9's that I own. Finally, someone got Bluetooth headphones right.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #101 of 260
I tried to give these a shot at e-earphone earlier this evening and I had no luck trying to get them working with my iPhone, iPad Pro, nor my DX200. The pairing was successful that I could even use the headphone controls to pause/play but for some reason sound still came out of my iPhone/iPad.

I tried two different ATH-DSR9BT units too.

Is there any fancy pairing required?

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #102 of 260
I tried to give these a shot at e-earphone earlier this evening and I had no luck trying to get them working with my iPhone, iPad Pro, nor my DX200. The pairing was successful that I could even use the headphone controls to pause/play but for some reason sound still came out of my iPhone/iPad.

I tried two different ATH-DSR9BT units too.

Is there any fancy pairing required?
Nothing fancy at all. I paired mine and they worked relatively easily. I'm not sure what went wrong with your pairing.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #103 of 260
Nothing fancy at all. I paired mine and they worked relatively easily. I'm not sure what went wrong with your pairing.
It was strange. I asked the shop keeper too and he didn't know. It was particularly strange when I could control the play/pause tracks from the headphone but the sound continued to come out of my iphone speaker. Looking at user manual it looks like there's a reset button which I didn't know before. If I visit the store, I'll see if I can hit the reset button to see if it resolves the issue.

P.S. There's also something in the manual about switching back from HFP/HSP to A2DP but I'm not certain how one can manually control/switch that. I thought all that was automatic.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #104 of 260
It was strange. I asked the shop keeper too and he didn't know. It was particularly strange when I could control the play/pause tracks from the headphone but the sound continued to come out of my iphone speaker. Looking at user manual it looks like there's a reset button which I didn't know before. If I visit the store, I'll see if I can hit the reset button to see if it resolves the issue.

P.S. There's also something in the manual about switching back from HFP/HSP to A2DP but I'm not certain how one can manually control/switch that. I thought all that was automatic.
According to the manual the appropriate Bluetooth codec is selected automatically during the pairing process. Here's the instructions for switching it manually:

Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT Codec Switching.JPG

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #105 of 260
I just got these delivered yesterday and my initial impressions are WOW these sound amazing! The bass is deep, textured, and has very good kick and impact. This headphone is very musical with sweet mids and detailed highs to me. This is the best Bluetooth headphone I own. To me it has better bass than the B&W P7 wireless and it is even more musical that the B&O H9's that I own. Finally, someone got Bluetooth headphones right.

When connected with a USB cable (to bypass bluetooth) how do they compare with the wired closed headphones which you own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back