Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT/ATH-DSR7BT Bluetooth Headphones (With Digital Drive Technology That Replaces a Traditional DAC)
Sep 15, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #151 of 260
Let's say like the concept of cdma, a roomful of people can talk simultaneously without disturbing each other. Wouldn't this be a problem if you needed people to over hear one another to figure out a solution to another problem that we headfi members know very clearly. I think this is the reason we have yet to see the problem solved. The problem is bluetooth aptx hd is still lossy. I have an idea and maybe this can lead to a solution. But this involves collution, and I know I said a bad word. All I'm saying is I didn't mean to say it but it came out. Very smart professionals who bring aptx hd to us are experts in channel coding over bluetooth. I think if they created some space to run java like software on their chip, then other people can implement conversion process that would allow for lossless bluetooth. Unfortunately channel coders assumes too much that data could be anything. And people who can write java know they can make data more meaningful than just anything. I wish I can write more, but you know how it is, the middle man has to protect its interest.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #152 of 260
Let's say like the concept of cdma, a roomful of people can talk simultaneously without disturbing each other. Wouldn't this be a problem if you needed people to over hear one another to figure out a solution to another problem that we headfi members know very clearly. I think this is the reason we have yet to see the problem solved. The problem is bluetooth aptx hd is still lossy. I have an idea and maybe this can lead to a solution. But this involves collution, and I know I said a bad word. All I'm saying is I didn't mean to say it but it came out. Very smart professionals who bring aptx hd to us are experts in channel coding over bluetooth. I think if they created some space to run java like software on their chip, then other people can implement conversion process that would allow for lossless bluetooth. Unfortunately channel coders assumes too much that data could be anything. And people who can write java know they can make data more meaningful than just anything. I wish I can write more, but you know how it is, the middle man has to protect its interest.
Only bats and other animals with better hearing than us can tell the difference.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #154 of 260
A dac can power a headphone maybe just barely. I think you are oversimplifying the part that supplies power.

I think you saying "A DAC" is an oversimplification in itself. The point is, the reason Audio Technica can say that there isn't a DAC circuit in the headphones is because the output of the digital circuit is DSD, which will be naturally converted to analog (sound) by the drivers.

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #157 of 260
I don't see how dsd signal will have enough oomph if you will. But I totally agree that I misrepresented dacs.

I would guess that is done by increasing the voltage of the DSD signal.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #158 of 260
I could be wrong, because I'm not the master of this domain. You are. But dsd I think requires a dac. And this thingy from audiotechnica supposedly skips the dac step. So even if you were to increase the voltage of dsd which is a digital signal with specified voltage levels for each zero and one representation, some thing has to make sense of the signal information. I think a dac does that; and a capacitor to a digital signal I don't think is enough. But then again I could be wrong again. Cause you know where I stand.

edit: I figured out my disconnect. You are right, but capacitor is not going to provide the power.
And increasing the voltage of the digital signal requires an amplifier. But the funny thing is you are doing this exact same thing when you modify a class d amp to raise the voltage of the dsd. I guess it just depends on how you look at it with a different perspective. The capacitor is a smoothing element to a digital signal, and not a power source. It is in the raising of the voltage that is the physical world challenge. And audiotechnica has solved it. I don't think they are using just a voltage amplifier with a capacitor in their application though.

But if I think this works like the idea I had ten or so years ago, then I actually have even more ideas to make this even better than what I think they did.
If I talk about this thing further I could jeopardize my reach to furnish my ideas.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #159 of 260
I would not worry about this, I never noticed them to be harsh.
And if this would be an issue, I think I would notice it, because I was all the time aware when listening to the Momentum wireless that they are artificially harsh (I didn't mind because I use bluetooth headphones for listening to metal or to audiobooks ).
For me the only downside of the DSR9BT is that they sound somewhat thin compared to their advanced (for bt hps ) level of detail, soundstage and imaging.
So you'd say the DSR9BT is worth buying even for someone who listens heavily to FLAC or lossless files(although I'd hop on Spotify Hifi ASAP when it comes out) and doesn't have aptx HD on his phone? I'm also considering the DSR7BT incase the difference isn't that audible considering my setup. I'd also listen to these headphones wired to my computer a lot too

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #160 of 260
So you'd say the DSR9BT
is worth buying even for someone who listens heavily to FLAC or lossless files(although I'd hop on Spotify Hifi ASAP when it comes out) and doesn't have aptx HD on his phone? I'm also considering the DSR7BT incase the difference isn't that audible considering my setup. I'd also listen to these headphones wired to my computer a lot too

yes, I listen to lossles (flac and some APE ) files over mere aptx ( not HD) and the DSR9BT is much better than other Bluetooth headphones ( I wrote an informal review a few pages above).
Re. wired use, I can't say, I never used it like this.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #161 of 260
yes, I listen to lossles (flac and some APE ) files over mere aptx ( not HD) and the DSR9BT is much better than other Bluetooth headphones ( I wrote an informal review a few pages above).
Re. wired use, I can't say, I never used it like this.
Oh wait sorry I meant for someone who doesn't listen to FLAC and Lossless(since Tidal isn't an option in my country so I'll wait for Spotify HiFi)

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #162 of 260
Just tried the DSR7BT at a trade show here in Singapore, some initial thoughts, coming from an MSR7 owner.

First noticeable difference is the must stronger and more visceral bass. Anyone who goes between the MSR7 and the DSR7BT will also notice that the DSR7BT has lack of the venting ports in the MSR7. This probably locks in the bass, and it now the midbass is more present, and subbass texture is also improved. Some might find it to be slightly less neutral as a result, and shifts the sound signature to that of a slight U shape, more musical imo.

Midrange, as a result, seems to takes a slight back seat, becoming just a tad more laid back, but still retaining a nice, full sound. The direct drive technology also improves detail vastly, a lot of microdetails are now very present.

Treble extends well, and has a great but somewhat emphasized texture, typical of the AT house sound. Also, here you will notice the microdetails being more present and forward.

Soundstage loses out to the MSR7, as it's now a fully closed back headphones. However, it still has some semblance of space and height, depth could be improved.

Seperation and imaging are stellar, nothing more can be said.

One of the biggest qualities to note is the fact that even though it runs off a bluetooth connection, it's got much better detail retrieval compared to some wired cans, due to the direct drive technology.

It does get a bit hard to drive, however, so volume might need to be raised a few notches above the normal.

Overall, a truly fantastic pair of headphones, one that I'd definitely consider for portable wireless use.
Is the DSR7BT just as clear and detailed as the MSR7? Trying to decide between the 2

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #164 of 260
I don't know what the measurements on these are, but , to my ears, they sound ruler flat, with the dsr9bt extending higher, with better resolution and definition than the 7. They're so flat, and, for me, too flat, but this makes them respond really well to eq.

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #165 of 260
I have a expert in my home and she says :
the DSR9BT are the best BT headphones, please just don't play meow meow :

Syb-4-1400p.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back