Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT/ATH-DSR7BT Bluetooth Headphones (With Digital Drive Technology That Replaces a Traditional DAC)
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #136 of 260
FYI, I have post here my comparative impressions of the P7 Wireless and of the ATH-DSR9BT, replying to Martynet who had open a special thread "Audio Technica B&W P7 Wireless - VS - Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT":

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/b-w-p7-wireless-vs-audio-technica-ath-dsr9bt.843557/#post-13673495
I rank the them in the same order. The DSR9BT is first in my book because it produces sound more accurately. The P7W's has elevated bass but it is a fun wireless headphone to listen too.

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #137 of 260
Hi Mark,

So you're sayin' it DOESN'T happen there? Then how is the (analog) sound produced then?

Not sure on that. Hopefully not if it's bad.

If you know how DACs work, it's pretty obvious. The digital signal is converted to DSD first. You can output DSD directly to an analog circuit with only a low-pass filter (to remove ultrasonic noise) and you'll get sound. This is how many DSD DACs work. There were some cheap 'USB headphones' in the past at the Tokyo headphone festivals that did the same thing, though I imagine they wouldn't be as developed as the ATs.

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #138 of 260
Having both and listening to them I'm going to have to disagree with this author's assessment of the DSR9BT's being better than the B&W P9's and the Denon D7200's for that matter. The B&W P9's are much more dynamic and livelier sounding than the DSR9BT's. The bass is fuller and has more impact while maintaining high frequency clarity. Listening to the P9's is like being in a concert because the music is so defined. The D7200's aren't as lively as the P9's but they still present music better than the DSR9BT's. The best analogy I can give is if the musicians were on a stage the P9's are in the first row while the DSR9BT's are a few rows back. They make you want to just pick up your gear and head to stage. They are SO close to getting a high five from the artist.

The DSR9BT's are very musical headphones especially for a wireless. When compared to other wireless headphones they may be the best. They make my B&O H9's sound a bit congested by comparison. The B&W P7W's is a little closer fight. The DSR9BT's aren't as bass heavy as the P7W's so they make listening to music more enjoyable I feel. But I do like how the P7W's add body to the music and that's the one thing I would change about the DSR9BT's. I wish that were as dynamic sounding as the P7W's. I like their bass definition and texture, the mids are smooth and the highs are very detail. But if they could take those sound qualities and move them forward a bit then I think they could compete with some of the best wired headphones.

Hey Slim........very interesting counter! Given that I don't usually like or agree with The Verge's reviews/articles, I'm gonna go ahead and take your review over their's. lol Good to know the P9 is as good as everyone is saying it is. Too bad it's so pricey though. lol As long as they're better than the P7s, which I liked but didn't really love.

Yeah if someone was DEAD SET on going wireless, and had the cash to buy these, I'd def recommend them over all else. Thank you for commenting!

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #139 of 260
If you know how DACs work, it's pretty obvious. The digital signal is converted to DSD first. You can output DSD directly to an analog circuit with only a low-pass filter (to remove ultrasonic noise) and you'll get sound. This is how many DSD DACs work. There were some cheap 'USB headphones' in the past at the Tokyo headphone festivals that did the same thing, though I imagine they wouldn't be as developed as the ATs.

Cool. Thanks Currawong!

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #140 of 260
Hey Slim........very interesting counter! Given that I don't usually like or agree with The Verge's reviews/articles, I'm gonna go ahead and take your review over their's. lol Good to know the P9 is as good as everyone is saying it is. Too bad it's so pricey though. lol As long as they're better than the P7s, which I liked but didn't really love.

Yeah if someone was DEAD SET on going wireless, and had the cash to buy these, I'd def recommend them over all else. Thank you for commenting!
The author of that article said he had trouble hearing DSR9BT's in public. They are nowhere near as bad as he's making them out to be. Granted there's no noice cancelling on them but they do a pretty good job of isolating background noice and still producing great sound. I must admit that the DSR9BT's are closing the gap between wireless and wired cans. Just not TOTL offerings.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #141 of 260
The author of that article said he had trouble hearing DSR9BT's in public. They are nowhere near as bad as he's making them out to be. Granted there's no noice cancelling on them but they do a pretty good job of isolating background noice and still producing great sound. I must admit that the DSR9BT's are closing the gap between wireless and wired cans. Just not TOTL offerings.

I see. Good to know. So like most Verge reviews, I'll disregard the majority of everything it says. LOL

Yeah it sure seems like it! Nice to know they outdo the P7 Wireless 'phones too.

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #142 of 260
I rank the them in the same order. The DSR9BT is first in my book because it produces sound more accurately. The P7W's has elevated bass but it is a fun wireless headphone to listen too.

Thank you, Slim1970,
I am glad we independently agree!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #143 of 260
Thank you, Slim1970,
I am glad we independently agree!
Yeah, they are really good and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a wireless headphone with good sonics. It's goes deep, plays loud and has good clarity.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #145 of 260

I got a chance to listen to DSR9BT. I must say I'm surprised. I haven't gotten chance to listen to lot of Bluetooth headphones. After getting iPhone7plus I started searching for them. Today at a headphones connect I met the country head of Audio-Techica and he had a demo of DSR9BT and ATH-LS400iS and few other IEMs. I can barely tell the difference between wired and wireless headphones. DSR9BT is bright maybe a bit too bright for my taste (I haven't listened to any audio-technica before today so I'm not familiar with their sound signature) it had good bass but I wouldn't say it's for the bass head. I really enjoyed them. I'm planning to buy a pair when it comes out here. (I'm not a audiophile, just a enthusiast so don't know a lot of technical details about them)
Were you listening to lossless files on your iPhone? Been considering the DSR9BT but I'm worried it might sound bad with just Spotify premium and a phone without APTX HD

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #146 of 260
Were you listening to lossless files on your iPhone? Been considering the DSR9BT but I'm worried it might sound bad with just Spotify premium and a phone without APTX HD

I would not worry about this, I never noticed them to be harsh.
And if this would be an issue, I think I would notice it, because I was all the time aware when listening to the Momentum wireless that they are artificially harsh (I didn't mind because I use bluetooth headphones for listening to metal or to audiobooks ).
For me the only downside of the DSR9BT is that they sound somewhat thin compared to their advanced (for bt hps ) level of detail, soundstage and imaging.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #147 of 260
Had a few days with the DSR9BT. I like detailed and bright but thats even too bright for my taste. It says 5hz...BUT... i cant hear nor feal that 5hz. Did not try them with an aptx HD device tho, but i was not satisfied. So I went with the DENON 7200, returned the AT. I like how the Denon works specialy on the lows, now have to pair them with some kind of a DAP, was thnking to go with the XDP100R from Pioneer since the price for those went so much down.

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #148 of 260
Had a few days with the DSR9BT. I like detailed and bright but thats even too bright for my taste. It says 5hz...BUT... i cant hear nor feal that 5hz. Did not try them with an aptx HD device tho, but i was not satisfied. So I went with the DENON 7200, returned the AT. I like how the Denon works specialy on the lows, now have to pair them with some kind of a DAP, was thnking to go with the XDP100R from Pioneer since the price for those went so much down.
I don't find the DSR9BT's bright at all. Granted they don't hit as hard as my D7200's but for a Bluetooth they are good at what they do. The D7200's needs amping and depending on the source they can sound down right superb. Once you let ears settle and put on the DSR9BT's they are very musically satisfying. They are very balanced with a little elavated bass that's deep and extended when it's in the music. I will say that the DSR9BT's doesn't have the bass impact of the D7200's. But the D7200's have some of the best bass around. The DSR9BT's have some of the best bass in a Bluetooth headphone to my ears.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #150 of 260

A dac can power a headphone maybe just barely. I think you are oversimplifying the part that supplies power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back